All about IE8 Final Release (AKA IE8 RTW)

All about IE8 Final Release (AKA IE8 RTW)
In case you're living under a rock...

IE8 Final was been released!
http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&ncl=1315411043

REFERENCES:

IE8 home page
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx

Release Notes for IE8 Final <=Read this before installing!!
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/dd441788.aspx

IE8 System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...uirements.aspx

IE8 FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...pport/faq.aspx

IE8 Tour
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx

IE8 Videos
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...er/videos.aspx

IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History Management;
Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery; InPrivate Browsing;
Security; and more
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...abid=1&catid=1

INSTALLING IE8:

Download links for IE8 Final
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) before installing (or
uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a third-party firewall, I
would recommend disabling it and then enabling the Windows Firewall before
installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

Tip: Reboot twice after installing (or uninstalling) IE8 Final then check-in
at Windows Update & install any critical security updates offered. If a
Root Certificates update is offered in Option Software category, install it
to take full advantage of IE8's enhanced security.

Tip: Make certain that your anti-virus application, any anti-spyware
applications (other than Defender), and your third-party firewall (if any)
is supported in IE8 Final before you decide install it.

WinXP users: If you install IE8 and then install WinXP SP3, you will not be
able to uninstall IE8 unless you first uninstall WinXP SP3.

Vista users: If you install IE8 and then install Vista SP1, you will not be
able to uninstall IE8 unless you first uninstall Vista SP1.

SUPPORT:

environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

IE8 & AUTOMATIC UPDATES:

Internet Explorer 8 Delivery through Automatic Updates
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365125.aspx

<QP>
Automatic Updates will notify all such users (including those with Automatic
Updates configured to automatically download and install updates) when
Internet Explorer 8 has been downloaded and is ready to install. The
notification and installation process will not start unless and until a user
who is a local administrator logs on to the machine. Users who are not local
administrators will not be prompted to install the update and will thus
continue using Internet Explorer 6 or Internet Explorer 7.
</QP>

Translation: IE8 will not install via AU without your explicit approval.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Leonard Grey

Re: All about IE8 Final Release (AKA IE8 RTW)
Let the complaining begin...
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [...]
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>
> IE8 & AUTOMATIC UPDATES:
>
> Internet Explorer 8 Delivery through Automatic Updates
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365125.aspx
>
> <QP>
> Automatic Updates will notify all such users (including those with
> Automatic Updates configured to automatically download and install
> updates) when Internet Explorer 8 has been downloaded and is ready to
> install. The notification and installation process will not start unless
> and until a user who is a local administrator logs on to the machine.
> Users who are not local administrators will not be prompted to install
> the update and will thus continue using Internet Explorer 6 or Internet
> Explorer 7.
> </QP>
>
> Translation: IE8 will not install via AU without your explicit approval.

Gordon

> Let the complaining begin...

So far so good - my online bank seems to work OK as well....

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Randy

RE: All about IE8 Final Release (AKA IE8 RTW)
These are very informative and helpful. Thank you. I didn't see anything
posted concerning whether the install (either via Microsoft Update or
standalone installer) will take care of removing IE8 RC1 or if that should
explicitly be removed prior to installing IE8 RTM. It would be nice to know
the procedure for that since not removing the RC1 install would seem to
preserve settings that a complete R&R would not.

Anyway thanks again for the link set.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>
> IE8 & AUTOMATIC UPDATES:
>
> Internet Explorer 8 Delivery through Automatic Updates
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365125.aspx
>
> <QP>
> Automatic Updates will notify all such users (including those with Automatic
> Updates configured to automatically download and install updates) when
> Internet Explorer 8 has been downloaded and is ready to install. The
> notification and installation process will not start unless and until a user
> who is a local administrator logs on to the machine. Users who are not local
> administrators will not be prompted to install the update and will thus
> continue using Internet Explorer 6 or Internet Explorer 7.
> </QP>
>
> Translation: IE8 will not install via AU without your explicit approval.

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Re: All about IE8 Final Release (AKA IE8 RTW)
Whoop-dee-doo.

:
[...]
: --
: ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
: MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
: AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
: DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
:
:
:
:

Leonard Grey

Re: All about IE8 Final Release (AKA IE8 RTW)
Personally, I'm going to wait a month (at least) before upgrading.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Gordon wrote:
>> Let the complaining begin...

> So far so good - my online bank seems to work OK as well....

Doug W.

Re: All about IE8 Final Release (AKA IE8 RTW)
Well, I downloaded it in 43 seconds but will not install it
until I read of its performance and/or problems. Sounds good in
the literature and the six videos that I have.

Doug W.
======
> Personally, I'm going to wait a month (at least) before
> upgrading.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Gordon wrote:
>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Let the complaining begin...

>> So far so good - my online bank seems to work OK as well....

Re: All about IE8 Final Release (AKA IE8 RTW)
Microsoft Announces Availability of Internet Explorer 8: New browser focuses
on top customer needs, including security, ease of use and performance
http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/p...ailablePR.mspx

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> In case you're living under a rock...
>
> IE8 Final was been released!
> http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&ncl=1315411043 ...

Re: All about IE8 Final Release (AKA IE8 RTW)
HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
<snip>
> INSTALLING IE8:
>
> Download links for IE8 Final
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>
> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) before installing (or
> uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a third-party firewall, I
> would recommend disabling it and then enabling the Windows Firewall before
> installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>
> Tip: Reboot twice after installing (or uninstalling) IE8 Final then
> check-in
> at Windows Update & install any critical security updates offered. If a
> Root Certificates update is offered in Option Software category, install
> it
> to take full advantage of IE8's enhanced security.
>
> Tip: Make certain that your anti-virus application, any anti-spyware
> applications (other than Defender), and your third-party firewall (if any)
> is supported in IE8 Final before you decide install it.
>
> WinXP users: If you install IE8 and then install WinXP SP3, you will not
> be
> able to uninstall IE8 unless you first uninstall WinXP SP3.
>
> Vista users: If you install IE8 and then install Vista SP1, you will not
> be
> able to uninstall IE8 unless you first uninstall Vista SP1.
>
> SUPPORT:
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
> non-domain
> environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020. Other:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

<SNIP>

Re: All about IE8 Final Release (AKA IE8 RTW)
IE Blog: IE8 Final Available Now
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lable-now.aspx

Lots of great links here!