RSS Feed Shows 6 random posts when subscribed; ALL when UNsubscrib

danielbritt

RSS Feed Shows 6 random posts when subscribed; ALL when UNsubscrib
My question is "why does IE show the FULL rss reader-friendly feed when you
are NOT subscribed to that feed, but once you subscribe, it puts OLD posts
at the top in random order and only shows 6 posts instead of the full
monty?"

Here's the rss feed I'm having trouble with:
http://www.danielbritt.com/rss/danielbritt.xml

As an unsubscribed viewer, you should see 90 posts total -- with the latest
being "Ben Speer" and the very last post being "Shaunti Feldhahn."

If you subscribe in IE 7, it shows 6 posts updated with today's date.

Re: RSS Feed Shows 6 random posts when subscribed; ALL when UNsubscrib
Click on the word "ALL" in the box on the left? However, if you've just
subscribed to the feed, the server handling the feed may only give you the
most-recent entries. (Yes, it's a right PIA but WYSIWYG.)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

danielbritt wrote:
> My question is "why does IE show the FULL rss reader-friendly feed when
> you
> are NOT subscribed to that feed, but once you subscribe, it puts OLD posts
> at the top in random order and only shows 6 posts instead of the full
> monty?"
>
> Here's the rss feed I'm having trouble with:
> http://www.danielbritt.com/rss/danielbritt.xml
>
> As an unsubscribed viewer, you should see 90 posts total -- with the
> latest
> being "Ben Speer" and the very last post being "Shaunti Feldhahn."
>
> If you subscribe in IE 7, it shows 6 posts updated with today's date.

Daniel Crichton

danielbritt wrote on Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:32:21 -0700:

> My question is "why does IE show the FULL rss reader-friendly feed when
> you are NOT subscribed to that feed, but once you subscribe, it puts
> OLD posts at the top in random order and only shows 6 posts instead of
> the full monty?"

> Here's the rss feed I'm having trouble with:
> http://www.danielbritt.com/rss/danielbritt.xml

> As an unsubscribed viewer, you should see 90 posts total -- with the
> latest being "Ben Speer" and the very last post being "Shaunti
> Feldhahn."

> If you subscribe in IE 7, it shows 6 posts updated with today's date.

Odd, I've never seen that before.

Validating your feed throws up lot of errors though:

http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?u...anielbritt.xml

http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.c...anielbritt.xml

although these are mostly due to you using a domain name in the author
element rather than the required email address.

Notice the lack of guid elements - ideally you should have one of these on
each item in your feed as they are used to determine if new entries are
included in the feed.

Also, I would suggest adding pubDate to each item - IE by default uses this
to sort the entries.

However, I have no idea why IE is ignoring most of the entries.

--
Dan