K-Ras

The following case is a situation that I overcome using JavaScript to fix the
heights on cells, but should be easy to deal with simple valid html:

When there is a table with a class of 100% height and one ore more rows have
a specific height (again specified by classes), I suppose that the remaining
rows –with no specific height- should take up the rest of the space. But
instead of this, the rows that have a class ignore the height attribute of
the css. Only when I get rid of the doctype tag, I get the desired
appearance. Adduce an example:

<title>Untitled Document</title>
html,body{margin:0px; height:100%}
..full{height:100%;}
..he{height:40px;}
</head>

C A Upsdell

Re: <td> height rendering
K-Ras wrote:
> The following case is a situation that I overcome using JavaScript to fix the
> heights on cells, but should be easy to deal with simple valid html:
>
> When there is a table with a class of 100% height ...

height:100% means 100% of the containing block. If the containing block
does not have a specific height, as in your example, then height:100%
means height:auto. See the CSS 2.1 specification.

K-Ras

Re: <td> height rendering
The containing block of the table is the HTML document itself that has height
100%. The table gets the 100% property. The problem is that the rows don’t
get the heights determined by the css part (in my example, firstly the “he”
class should get 40px and the rest of the document’s height should be
“occupied” by the classless row).
C A Upsdell

Re: <td> height rendering
K-Ras wrote:
> The containing block of the table is the HTML document itself that has height
> 100%. The table gets the 100% property. The problem is that the rows don’t
> get the heights determined by the css part (in my example, firstly the “he”
> class should get 40px and the rest of the document’s height should be
> “occupied” by the classless row).

I could be wrong, but I don't think that something like "html, body {
height:100%; }" has any useful meaning, since html itself does not have
a containing block. I think that, in standards mode, the containing
block has to have a definite height -- e.g. 500px -- in order for the
100% of the contained block to mean anything other than auto.

K-Ras

Re: <td> height rendering
But if you don’t give a “100%” height to the html and body elements, they
won’t stretch all the way across the windows height. You can see this by
giving a border to those elements.
e.g.
html, body{
border:1px solid red;
}

Moreover, if you exclude the doctype tag, the tables will be rendered
accordingly to the logic that I am describing (thus properly from my point of
view).
C A Upsdell

Re: <td> height rendering
K-Ras wrote:
> But if you don’t give a “100%” height to the html and body elements, they
> won’t stretch all the way across the windows height. You can see this by
> giving a border to those elements.
> e.g.
> html, body{
> border:1px solid red;
> }
>
> Moreover, if you exclude the doctype tag, the tables will be rendered
> accordingly to the logic that I am describing (thus properly from my point of
> view).

If you omit the DOCTYPE, the page is rendered in Quirks Mode, not in
Standards Mode. If a page only looks fine to you in Quirks Mode, then
your code is broken: you have a mistaken understanding of some
element(s) of the standards. And using Quirks Mode is risky: you
cannot assume that all browsers will render broken code in the same way,
so the page may be rendered as you expect with some browsers, but not
with other browsers.

K-Ras

Re: <td> height rendering
I know that. This is the reason I posted my trouble here Because all major
browsers render my code properly in standards mode except internet explorer.