Two "iexplore.exe" process running

Navaneethan SK

Two "iexplore.exe" process running
Opening Internet explorer8 two "iexplore.exe" process running in my task
manager.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Daniel Crichton

Re: Two "iexplore.exe" process running
Navaneethan wrote on Tue, 17 Mar 2009 03:06:01 -0700:

> Opening Internet explorer8 two "iexplore.exe" process running in my
> task manager.

This is correct - IE8 uses a new architecture with a single iexplore process
controlling child iexplore processes (1 for each tab). Did you not read the
readme that came with IE8?

--
Dan

Re: Two "iexplore.exe" process running
IE8 and Reliability
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx

IE8 RC1 Release Notes
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949787

PS - IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support:
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta

Via the web-interface:

Via your newsreader:

Navaneethan SK wrote:
> Opening Internet explorer8 two "iexplore.exe" process running in my task
> manager.

Henry

Re: Two "iexplore.exe" process running
Recently installed IE8 and I also find that when I open it, 2 "iexplore.exe"
both begin running simutaneously in my task manager (i've only started the
one tab in the one window). Only one application of IE appears in the
Applications list of the Task Manager. Killing either process closes IE and
they both disappear.
I'm hoping that this is normal for IE8...
and no, I didn't read the Readme, don't even remember seeing it, i just
updated to ie8 when updating a few things from microsoft updates page.

Henry wrote on Wed, 3 Jun 2009 06:05:01 -0700:

> Recently installed IE8 and I also find that when I open it, 2
> "iexplore.exe"
> both begin running simutaneously in my task manager (i've only started
> the one tab in the one window). Only one application of IE appears in
> the
> Applications list of the Task Manager. Killing either process closes
> IE and they both disappear.
> I'm hoping that this is normal for IE8...
> and no, I didn't read the Readme, don't even remember seeing it, i just
> updated to ie8 when updating a few things from microsoft updates page.

The readme is on the MS site.

For technical details as to why there are multiple processes, see here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...d-ie-lcie.aspx

Multiple processes is by design - don't kill the processes! Why did you
think it was necesary to try to kill them? Do you normally install new
software and then start killing processes without doing any research first?

I've just been reading up on Mozilla announcing that Firefox will have this
in the future too (from May 12).

Dan

> "Daniel Crichton" wrote:

>> Navaneethan wrote on Tue, 17 Mar 2009 03:06:01 -0700:

>>> Opening Internet explorer8 two "iexplore.exe" process running in my
>>> task manager.

>> This is correct - IE8 uses a new architecture with a single iexplore
>> process controlling child iexplore processes (1 for each tab). Did
>> you not read the readme that came with IE8?

>> --
>> Dan

IFLATLINEI is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Two "iexplore.exe" process running
Ahhh yes!!! VISTAHEADS Your Friendly Windows Vista Community Ahem except for smart ass Dan.

This guy had the nerve to ask whether the OP read the Readme. LMAO No one reads those things. Especially ones with many computers with many different programs and a Life. If theres a problem then maybe.

But I loved this comment: "Do you normally install new
software and then start killing processes without doing any research
first?"

Yeah cuz thats what people do. We install programs and then go and kill processes. Moron! The OP was just experimenting. Its not like there was any serious danger. Except from maybe Dan because hes so Superior. He reads all the readmes and always knows what to do. He will also try and make you out to be a fool if you dont. Good job Dan! You Loser!

Yes I am a troll. Why? Because I would never come back here again. So as far as this site is concerned a Troll I am.

Re: Two "iexplore.exe" process running
PS: We ignore posts from VistaButtHead.com here, too.

IFLATLINEI wrote:
> Ahhh yes!!! VISTAHEADS Your Friendly Windows Vista Community Ahem
> except for smart ass Dan.
>
> This guy had the nerve to ask whether the OP read the Readme. LMAO No
> one reads those things...

Leonard Grey

Re: Two "iexplore.exe" process running
"This guy had the nerve to ask whether the OP read the Readme. LMAO No
one reads those things."

<lol> I /always/ read the Readme file. That's one of the reasons I have
so few problems with software. D'ya think the software authors wrote the
Readme file for their health?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"IFLATLINEI" <IFLATLINEI.4196c2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:IFLATLINEI.4196c2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Ahhh yes!!! VISTAHEADS Your Friendly Windows Vista Community Ahem
> except for smart ass Dan.

Odd, I don't remember posting there. Ah, so it's another of those sites that
steals content from the MS news servers and pretends it's forum content.
Figures that you'd have to use a web based front end to read usenet.

> This guy had the nerve to ask whether the OP read the Readme. LMAO No
> one reads those things. Especially ones with many computers with many
> different programs and a Life. If theres a problem then maybe.

So if you don't understand something, you flail around like an idiot then. I
guess the FLATLINE in your nick refers to your brain activity then.

> But I loved this comment: "Do you normally install new
> software and then start killing processes without doing any research
> first?"

It's a valid question. Killing processes is the very last thing to do in an
operating system if you don't know what you're doing. "Hmm, what's LSASS, I
think I'll kill it <click>", great move dumbass.

> Yeah cuz thats what people do. We install programs and then go and kill
> processes. Moron! The OP was just experimenting. Its not like there was
> any serious danger. Except from maybe Dan because hes so Superior. He
> reads all the readmes and always knows what to do. He will also try and
> make you out to be a fool if you dont. Good job Dan! You Loser!

If something doesn't look right, yes I check the readme's. I also search
Google (which had thousands of posts about multiple processes in IE8,
including those from the IE8 dev blog), and various other places, until I
find out what I need to know.

As to "serious danger", no you won't electrocute yourself closing processes,
or lose a limb. But you can corrupt various parts of IE, depending on what
the process is doing at the time. Losing all the cookies for instance,
that's a common thing I'm seeing with process destruction at the wrong time.
If a process is writing to a file (for instance updating the registry)
killing it at the wrong moment can result in a dead OS. And having someone
who can't even be bothered to do a little research first start killing
processes is why people end up having to take their PCs back to the store
they bought them from for an OS reinstall. I suppose I should be grateful
though, as I get to charge people for fixing their PCs when they do stupid
things like that.

> Yes I am a troll. Why? Because I would never come back here again. So
> as far as this site is concerned a Troll I am.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. I realise you probably won't
read this, but as least the additional information might help other users
make an informed decision if they stumble across this post.

--
Dan