IE7 won't keep the visited javascript link color

Bigface

IE7 won't keep the visited javascript link color
Hi I have a list of links <a href="javascriptpenWin(<testID>)">Link
Here</a>. After I clicked one of them, re-focus on the page, the link changed
to visited color. But if I refresh the page or go to other page and come
back, the visited link color is gone. I search on google and there are some
similiar post on various forums, but there isn't answer for how to keep the
visited javascript link color. It works perfectly on IE6.
Any suggestion / fix / work around will be really appreaciated. Thanks

Re: IE7 won't keep the visited javascript link color
Please stick with your original thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b54ffa2ff3a4f0

Tip: Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

This newsgroup:
~~

Bigface wrote:
> Hi I have a list of links <a href="javascriptpenWin(<testID>)">Link
> Here</a>. After I clicked one of them, re-focus on the page, the link
> changed to visited color. But if I refresh the page or go to other page
> and
> come back, the visited link color is gone. I search on google and there
> are
> some similiar post on various forums, but there isn't answer for how to
> keep the visited javascript link color. It works perfectly on IE6.
> Any suggestion / fix / work around will be really appreaciated. Thanks

Bigface

Re: IE7 won't keep the visited javascript link color
I notice that my post was buried in tons of posts too soon and nobody will
care about it. I try to put on top and really need the fix.
Thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please stick with your original thread:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b54ffa2ff3a4f0
>
> Tip: Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm
>
> This newsgroup:
> ~~
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Bigface wrote:
> > Hi I have a list of links <a href="javascriptpenWin(<testID>)">Link
> > Here</a>. After I clicked one of them, re-focus on the page, the link
> > changed to visited color. But if I refresh the page or go to other page
> > and
> > come back, the visited link color is gone. I search on google and there
> > are
> > some similiar post on various forums, but there isn't answer for how to
> > keep the visited javascript link color. It works perfectly on IE6.
> > Any suggestion / fix / work around will be really appreaciated. Thanks

Daniel Crichton

Re: IE7 won't keep the visited javascript link color
There is no "fix". You'll just have to live with it, or write your own
"fix".

Dan

Bigface wrote on Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:49:01 -0700:

> I notice that my post was buried in tons of posts too soon and nobody
> will care about it. I try to put on top and really need the fix.
> Thanks

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

>> Please stick with your original thread:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ternetexplorer.
>> general/browse_frm/thread/e5f798dc6d2b6cdb/63b54ffa2ff3a4f0

>> Tip: Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

>> This newsgroup:
>> ~~
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

>> Bigface wrote:
>>> Hi I have a list of links <a
>>> href="javascriptpenWin(<testID>)">Link
>>> Here</a>. After I clicked one of them, re-focus on the page, the
>>> link changed to visited color. But if I refresh the page or go to
>>> other page and come back, the visited link color is gone. I search
>>> on google and there are some similiar post on various forums, but
>>> there isn't answer for how to keep the visited javascript link
>>> color. It works perfectly on IE6.
>>> Any suggestion / fix / work around will be really appreaciated.
>>> Thanks

Bigface

Re: IE7 won't keep the visited javascript link color
I would like to have any suggestion on how to write the fix. Thanks!

"Daniel Crichton" wrote:

> There is no "fix". You'll just have to live with it, or write your own
> "fix".
>
> Dan
>
> Bigface wrote on Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:49:01 -0700:
>
> > I notice that my post was buried in tons of posts too soon and nobody
> > will care about it. I try to put on top and really need the fix.
> > Thanks

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> >> Please stick with your original thread:
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ternetexplorer.
> >> general/browse_frm/thread/e5f798dc6d2b6cdb/63b54ffa2ff3a4f0

> >> Tip: Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
> >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

> >> This newsgroup:
> >> ~~
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

littlebear

Re: IE7 won't keep the visited javascript link color
@Daniel Crichton

not trying to flame buuut,

If you're not going to write anything even REMOTELY helpful, please don't
bother posting.

MS MVP? not very valuable at all with that kind of feedback.

I'll write a fix and post it here.

"Daniel Crichton" wrote:

> There is no "fix". You'll just have to live with it, or write your own
> "fix".
>
> Dan
>
> Bigface wrote on Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:49:01 -0700:
>
> > I notice that my post was buried in tons of posts too soon and nobody
> > will care about it. I try to put on top and really need the fix.
> > Thanks

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> >> Please stick with your original thread:
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ternetexplorer.
> >> general/browse_frm/thread/e5f798dc6d2b6cdb/63b54ffa2ff3a4f0

> >> Tip: Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
> >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

> >> This newsgroup:
> >> ~~
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Daniel Crichton

littlebear wrote on Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:45:04 -0700:

> @Daniel Crichton

> not trying to flame buuut,

> If you're not going to write anything even REMOTELY helpful, please
> don't bother posting.

I was pointing out that there is no fix. Is that not helpful? Surely it
helps the OP as they now know that they will need to write one themselves
rather than looking for something that doesn't exist.

> MS MVP? not very valuable at all with that kind of feedback.

MVP? I've never been an MVP, never claimed to be one. I guess you don't
actually read the content of my emails and instead feel it's necessary to
flame, despite your "not trying to flame" intro, which was pretty pointless
given the next line of your email.

Dan

> I'll write a fix and post it here.

> "Daniel Crichton" wrote:

>> There is no "fix". You'll just have to live with it, or write your
>> own "fix".

>> Dan

>> Bigface wrote on Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:49:01 -0700:

>>> I notice that my post was buried in tons of posts too soon and
>>> nobody will care about it. I try to put on top and really need the
>>> fix.
>>> Thanks

Robert Aldwinckle

"Bigface" <Bigface@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E865E372-92CF-4AB9-B34A-53D7CE19128A@microsoft.com...
>I would like to have any suggestion on how to write the fix. Thanks!

Coincidentally I gave poster Drew a related suggestion yesterday.
(He posted their ASP source.)

<quote>
Perhaps more to the point what HTML source does the client see?
E.g. if there is no href= with a clear URL that gets saved in History
that would explain your symptom. Otherwise since the action seems
to be all scripted perhaps you could query the History during an
onload= (?) event and change the color appropriately then.

BTW this is not the best place to come to looking for help with coding
issues. Try the MSDN forum for IE web development instead.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

</quote>

> "Daniel Crichton" wrote:
>
>> There is no "fix". You'll just have to live with it, or write your own
>> "fix".

littlebear

Re: IE7 won't keep the visited javascript link color

re: [MS MVP] remark
Right that was out of line and I apologize, I noticed I misread the post
after I posted it but there is no edit function so I was stuck with my
mistake:

I'm really not trying to flame, I hate it when people make comments like
"that's not possible" without putting any info into how they came to that
conclusion. it's useless. at least show how you reached that conclusion.
you're missing the point a little... nuff said.

that being said I still maintain that your post wasn't helpful *at all*
saying I dont know the solution is not the same as saying *there is no
solution*, which is not true. There is a solution.

consider the following links:

<a class="activeClass" href="#section1?_url=test.html" target="_self"
>Example Usage passing value to function</a>

<a class="activeClass"
href="http://localhost/test.html#section1?_url=test.html" onclick=""
target="_self" >Example Usage with http://localhost address</a>
target="_self" >Example Usage with javascript:// + onclick event handler</a>
Anchor)</a>
test.html), method maintains Link:visited Color</a>
method maintains Link:visited Color</a>
target="_self" >Self referencing link + onclick event handler, WORKS!!!!!!</a>

Using the last approach solves the visited link issue. I do have a useful
Javascript function for cancelling the default behaviour of the click event
as well if the return false does not prevent the re-loading of the source
page which would certainly be an annoyance.

cheers,

"Daniel Crichton" wrote:

> littlebear wrote on Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:45:04 -0700:
>
> > @Daniel Crichton

> > not trying to flame buuut,

> > If you're not going to write anything even REMOTELY helpful, please
> > don't bother posting.

> I was pointing out that there is no fix. Is that not helpful? Surely it
> helps the OP as they now know that they will need to write one themselves
> rather than looking for something that doesn't exist.
>
> > MS MVP? not very valuable at all with that kind of feedback.

> MVP? I've never been an MVP, never claimed to be one. I guess you don't
> actually read the content of my emails and instead feel it's necessary to
> flame, despite your "not trying to flame" intro, which was pretty pointless
> given the next line of your email.
>
> Dan
>
> > I'll write a fix and post it here.

> > "Daniel Crichton" wrote:

> >> There is no "fix". You'll just have to live with it, or write your
> >> own "fix".

> >> Dan

littlebear

RE: IE7 won't keep the visited javascript link color

here's a direct example:

event=this.onclick; if (event.preventDefault) {event.preventDefault();} else
{event.returnValue = false;};return false;" target="_self" >Self referencing
link + onclick event handler, WORKS!!!!!!</a>

the onclick handler should be extracted to a function of course...

ironically this causes the same issue to appear in firefox... so applying
this with your browser detection routine would be recommended.

regards,

hope to talk to you soon.