Javascript error with window.external.AddFavorite

Gerald Howell

Javascript error with window.external.AddFavorite
Hello,

We just noticed that whenever we try to do a call to
window.external.AddFavorite we get the error "Object doesn't support this
property or method".

I'm not totally sure when it showed up, but we noticed it in late last week.
We are using IE7. For me, I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 3. I am not
sure what is the configuration of our customer's machines, but mine is up to
date.

Some more info on this issue:
I have gone to several different websites to make sure this is an issue with
our browser. For example:
http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/javasc...favorites.html
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/addbook.htm
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/dh...le.php/3470451
http://www.w3schools.com/js/tryit.as...tryjs_bookmark

In addition, I tried searching around the net but did not see anyone else
running into this issue. Lastly, I downloaded the Virtual PC and got an
image for XP IE7 from here:

It works fine on the image.

Do anyone know of some patch to IE/Windows that could have caused this
issue? Maybe some other software that could be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance,
Gerald
Daniel Crichton

Re: Javascript error with window.external.AddFavorite
Gerald wrote on Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:41:01 -0700:

> Hello,

> We just noticed that whenever we try to do a call to
> window.external.AddFavorite we get the error "Object doesn't support
> this property or method".

> I'm not totally sure when it showed up, but we noticed it in late last
> week.
> We are using IE7. For me, I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 3. I am
> not sure what is the configuration of our customer's machines, but
> mine is up to date.

> Some more info on this issue:
> I have gone to several different websites to make sure this is an issue
> with our browser. For example:
> http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/javasc...favorites.html
> http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/addbook.htm
> http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/dh...le.php/3470451
> http://www.w3schools.com/js/tryit.as...tryjs_bookmark

> In addition, I tried searching around the net but did not see anyone
> else running into this issue. Lastly, I downloaded the Virtual PC and
> got an image for XP IE7 from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...21EABB90-958F-
> 4B64-B5F1-73D0A413C8EF&displaylang=en

> It works fine on the image.

> Do anyone know of some patch to IE/Windows that could have caused this
> issue? Maybe some other software that could be causing the issue?

> Thanks in advance,
> Gerald

Have you recently installed and then uninstalled IE8? I tried those URLs
above with IE7 on XP SP3 and I was getting an "Element not found" javascript
error, even in No Add-ons mode, searching on that error I found this:

http://lkamal.blogspot.com/2007/08/g...not-found.html

Making the registry change in the above page the add favourite links now
work. Check to make sure that the correct renderer DLL is being referenced -
it should not be shdocvw.dll for IE7.

--
Dan

Gerald Howell

Re: Javascript error with window.external.AddFavorite
Dan,

Thanks alot!!! That did the trick!

I didn't install IE8 on my machine, but I install soo much "stuff" on it
(I'm a developer) that no telling what changed that value in my windows
registry.

Gerald