NET Framework - general question

Dave Horne

NET Framework - general question
I trust this is the correct forum for this question. I have NET Framework
3.5 on my Vista Home Premium (SP1) computer. Very recently my 'Dell Support
Center' system tray icon informed me I needed NET Framework 2. This was a
pop up 'alert' from that Dell utility.

My question - is my NET Framework 3.5 a cumlative update and already
'contains' version 2 ... or not?

It just seemed strange that all of a sudden I would need an older version of
NET Framework. As far as I can tell everything is working just fine without
NET Framework 2.

Thanks, Dave Horne

Bruce Hagen

Re: NET Framework - general question
..NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and 3.5 are all independent versions and not
cumulative. Different programs use different versions of .NET framework. If
you have a program that needs 2.0, then you will need to download it. Look
for updates after you do.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>I trust this is the correct forum for this question. I have NET Framework
>3.5 on my Vista Home Premium (SP1) computer. Very recently my 'Dell
>Support Center' system tray icon informed me I needed NET Framework 2.
>This was a pop up 'alert' from that Dell utility.
>
> My question - is my NET Framework 3.5 a cumlative update and already
> 'contains' version 2 ... or not?
>
> It just seemed strange that all of a sudden I would need an older version
> of NET Framework. As far as I can tell everything is working just fine
> without NET Framework 2.
>
> Thanks, Dave Horne

Re: NET Framework - general question
This is nothing to do with IE (Vista General would've been a better place to
post). I'd recommend contacting Dell Support about this.

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dave Horne wrote:
> I trust this is the correct forum for this question. I have NET Framework
> 3.5 on my Vista Home Premium (SP1) computer. Very recently my 'Dell
> Support
> Center' system tray icon informed me I needed NET Framework 2. This was a
> pop up 'alert' from that Dell utility.
>
> My question - is my NET Framework 3.5 a cumlative update and already
> 'contains' version 2 ... or not?
>
> It just seemed strange that all of a sudden I would need an older version
> of
> NET Framework. As far as I can tell everything is working just fine
> without
> NET Framework 2.
>
> Thanks, Dave Horne

Dave Horne

Re: NET Framework - general question
Bruce, thanks. Dave Horne

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and 3.5 are all independent versions and not
> cumulative. Different programs use different versions of .NET framework.
> If you have a program that needs 2.0, then you will need to download it.
> Look for updates after you do.
> --
>
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>>I trust this is the correct forum for this question. I have NET Framework
>>3.5 on my Vista Home Premium (SP1) computer. Very recently my 'Dell
>>Support Center' system tray icon informed me I needed NET Framework 2.
>>This was a pop up 'alert' from that Dell utility.
>>
>> My question - is my NET Framework 3.5 a cumlative update and already
>> 'contains' version 2 ... or not?
>>
>> It just seemed strange that all of a sudden I would need an older version
>> of NET Framework. As far as I can tell everything is working just fine
>> without NET Framework 2.
>>
>> Thanks, Dave Horne

Dave Horne

Re: NET Framework - general question
PA Bear, thanks. Dave Horne

> This is nothing to do with IE (Vista General would've been a better place
> to post). I'd recommend contacting Dell Support about this.
>
> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
> whether service packs have been applied
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Dave Horne wrote:
>> I trust this is the correct forum for this question. I have NET
>> Framework
>> 3.5 on my Vista Home Premium (SP1) computer. Very recently my 'Dell
>> Support
>> Center' system tray icon informed me I needed NET Framework 2. This was
>> pop up 'alert' from that Dell utility.
>>
>> My question - is my NET Framework 3.5 a cumlative update and already
>> 'contains' version 2 ... or not?
>>
>> It just seemed strange that all of a sudden I would need an older version
>> of
>> NET Framework. As far as I can tell everything is working just fine
>> without
>> NET Framework 2.
>>
>> Thanks, Dave Horne

Re: NET Framework - general question
YW. If the Dell application was v2-dependent, it would have been installed
by the application or preinstalled when you purchased the computer.