some web graphics missing

tones

some web graphics missing
Hello,

For some time using Vista Home Professional and both IE7 and now IE8 RC1, on
some web pages, some (not all) graphics are missing - red X box shows instead.

I think I have tried all the MS Knowledge Base and other fixes and I've
tried resetting IE. None has solved the issue for me, not even installing IE8.

An example page which for me displays a number of red Xs is:
http://www.aerosoft.com/

If I refresh this page, some of the missing pictures may then show but
others disappear. It is almost like there is some limit on how many pictures
will load.

Also, if I click on [View] [Encoding] and select a language (any language
will do) all the pictures appear. Is it perhaps an Encoding issue?

I'm pretty sure this is my fault (I'm always tinkering), but grateful for
any thoughts or tips that might fix this.

Tony

rob^_^

Re: some web graphics missing
Hi Tones,

Don't you mean this page?

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/iboshop.cgi?show0

this is where you get redirected to when you go to http://www.aerosoft.com/

No Problems with Vista x86 SP1. Page renders fine in both Standards and IE7
emulation modes, with or without Addons disabled.

The page has a lot of errors.... Try adding the site *.aerosoft.com to your
Compatibility list.

Regards.

"tones" <tones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> For some time using Vista Home Professional and both IE7 and now IE8 RC1,
> on
> some web pages, some (not all) graphics are missing - red X box shows
> instead.
>
> I think I have tried all the MS Knowledge Base and other fixes and I've
> tried resetting IE. None has solved the issue for me, not even installing
> IE8.
>
> An example page which for me displays a number of red Xs is:
> http://www.aerosoft.com/
>
> If I refresh this page, some of the missing pictures may then show but
> others disappear. It is almost like there is some limit on how many
> pictures
> will load.
>
> Also, if I click on [View] [Encoding] and select a language (any language
> will do) all the pictures appear. Is it perhaps an Encoding issue?
>
> I'm pretty sure this is my fault (I'm always tinkering), but grateful for
> any thoughts or tips that might fix this.
>
> Tony

tones

Re: some web graphics missing
Rob,

Thanks for your input. In compatibility mode, that page loads with even more
red crosses in place of graphics. It was perhaps not a good example.

This page is another example where this happens (it does seem to happen on
pages with quite a lot of graphics):

http://www.flightsim.com/

I know this is not a general IE error - I'm sure it is happening because
I've tinkered with something I shouldn't have and I expect the pages will
load fine for everybody else. I was hoping installing IE8 might reset things
and fix it.

I realise this makes it difficult to pinpoint a fix, but I'm just hoping
that someone might be able suggest something else to try.

I remain puzzled as to why clicking on any encoding language allows the page
to display properly.

Tony

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Tones,
>
> Don't you mean this page?
>
> http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/iboshop.cgi?show0
>
> this is where you get redirected to when you go to http://www.aerosoft.com/
>
> No Problems with Vista x86 SP1. Page renders fine in both Standards and IE7
> emulation modes, with or without Addons disabled.
>
> The page has a lot of errors.... Try adding the site *.aerosoft.com to your
> Compatibility list.
>
> Regards.
>
> "tones" <tones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > For some time using Vista Home Professional and both IE7 and now IE8 RC1,
> > on
> > some web pages, some (not all) graphics are missing - red X box shows
> > instead.
> >
> > I think I have tried all the MS Knowledge Base and other fixes and I've
> > tried resetting IE. None has solved the issue for me, not even installing
> > IE8.
> >
> > An example page which for me displays a number of red Xs is:
> > http://www.aerosoft.com/
> >
> > If I refresh this page, some of the missing pictures may then show but
> > others disappear. It is almost like there is some limit on how many
> > pictures
> > will load.
> >
> > Also, if I click on [View] [Encoding] and select a language (any language
> > will do) all the pictures appear. Is it perhaps an Encoding issue?
> >
> > I'm pretty sure this is my fault (I'm always tinkering), but grateful for
> > any thoughts or tips that might fix this.
> >
> > Tony

Robert Aldwinckle

"tones" <tones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96A52558-D9FB-47D7-B77C-81BC42BFC277@microsoft.com...
> Rob,
>
> Thanks for your input. In compatibility mode, that page loads with even more
> red crosses in place of graphics. It was perhaps not a good example.
>
> This page is another example where this happens

> (it does seem to happen on pages with quite a lot of graphics):

That's mainly a symptom of poor connectivity.
Instead of doing a Refresh what you want to do then
is load a page over the one you want to finish loading
and then go back to it. So, for example, with about:Blank
for your Home page you could press Alt-Home and Alt-CursorLeft
instead of F5. Another thing you could try (but just for that case)
would be to set your cache-checking option to Never
(e.g. press Alt-T,O,Alt-S,N ). That would reduce the network
overhead to a minimum when you were trying to continue
by using the Every time I visit the web page check
(e.g. after pressing Alt-T,O,Alt-S,E) the additional regular activity
might be enough to keep the loading going longer.

Finally, your type of network connection, e.g. dialup or LAN
can have a bearing on your network performance,
especially with IE8, since it now can automatically start using
more than the default 2 maximum HTTP connections per server
if the connection is determined to be fast.

> http://www.flightsim.com/

FWIW no problems loading that page through my DSL PPPoE link.

A previous poster (last year) had a much more extreme example...
Oops. It was longer ago than that. ; )

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...up:microsoft.*

Probably no longer available... Nslookup shows the host is unknown.
Too bad. It was a fun test. ; )

> I know this is not a general IE error - I'm sure it is happening because
> I've tinkered with something I shouldn't have and I expect the pages will
> load fine for everybody else. I was hoping installing IE8 might reset things
> and fix it.
>
> I realise this makes it difficult to pinpoint a fix, but I'm just hoping
> that someone might be able suggest something else to try.
>

> I remain puzzled as to why clicking on any encoding language allows the page
> to display properly.

That's probably just another way of getting the page to reload with less
overhead than doing a Refresh. You could use Fiddler2 to trace your
cases and see exactly what is happening in each.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

tones

Re: some web graphics missing
Robert,

Thank you very much for your helpful input.
I will try out some different Internet cache settings.

You were right about Alt-Cursor Left. If I do that after loading a
problematic page, then hit Alt-Cursor Right
(or hit IE's back then forward arrow icons) the page loads perfectly on this
second attempt.

I've installed Fiddler2. Wow, so much happens when a page loads! And we take
it all for granted in blissful ignorance!

I'll try to compare some Fiddler results for more clues, but I think it is
mostly a bit beyond me. Interesting though.

I'll also check my wifi and other Internet connection settings and hardware.

Thanks again

Tony