Lost URL IE Icon

Tom B.

Lost URL IE Icon
I recently installed SP3 and upgraded to IE7. Since then I lost the IE
address icon. The icon that is at the beginning of the URL in the address
bar? That one. The one that you would click and drag into your Links feature
on the Task Bar. In turn, all the bookmarks in my Favorites are missing the
IE icon. So are the IE links in the Task Bar links feature. In place of the
IE icon is that thing that looks like a white piece of paper with a corner
folded down. You know the one? The icon you get when a file is not supported
by a downloaded program?
How do I get that URL IE icon back?
Thanks.
Tom B.
Don Varnau

Re: Lost URL IE Icon
Hi,
First try the procedure in this article to reset the icon cache:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926715

Then see this article:
930426- The default system icon is displayed for Internet shortcut files:
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently installed SP3 and upgraded to IE7. Since then I lost the IE
> address icon. The icon that is at the beginning of the URL in the address
> bar? That one. The one that you would click and drag into your Links

feature
> on the Task Bar. In turn, all the bookmarks in my Favorites are missing

the
> IE icon. So are the IE links in the Task Bar links feature. In place of

the
> IE icon is that thing that looks like a white piece of paper with a corner
> folded down. You know the one? The icon you get when a file is not

supported
> by a downloaded program?
> How do I get that URL IE icon back?
> Thanks.
> Tom B.

Tom B.

Re: Lost URL IE Icon
Don,
Thanks.
The first one didn't work.
On the second one, that workaround seems like it might do it, but it didn't.
When I found the URL Internet Shortcut in the Registered File Types list,
that bad icon was next to it, but when I clicked on Advanced to change it,
the right icon appears next to the NAME of the icon. I even tried changing it
to a random icon on the list, and that wouldn't change either.
Not sure now.
Nass wrote me with some potential fixes. I'll try those and get back to you.
Tom
"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> First try the procedure in this article to reset the icon cache:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926715
>
> Then see this article:
> 930426- The default system icon is displayed for Internet shortcut files:
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I recently installed SP3 and upgraded to IE7. Since then I lost the IE
> > address icon. The icon that is at the beginning of the URL in the address
> > bar? That one. The one that you would click and drag into your Links

> feature
> > on the Task Bar. In turn, all the bookmarks in my Favorites are missing

> the
> > IE icon. So are the IE links in the Task Bar links feature. In place of

> the
> > IE icon is that thing that looks like a white piece of paper with a corner
> > folded down. You know the one? The icon you get when a file is not

> supported
> > by a downloaded program?
> > How do I get that URL IE icon back?
> > Thanks.
> > Tom B.

Tom B.

Re: Lost URL IE Icon
Don,
Here's the thing that did it. It was a tool called FavOrg sponsored by PC
Magazine.
Here's the post:

FavOrg - Restore and Save Favorite Icons
http://www.gratilog.net/anglais/internet/favorg.zip

The icon in URL's is now the IE icon. About half of the bookmark icons in my
Favorites have reverted back to the IE icon. The other half are still that
"unsupported file" icon. I found that if I physically replace the bad ones
with a new from the same website, then the new IE icon will appear. Since I
have well over 300 bookmarks, I will NOT be doing that. I'll have to live
with them until I slowly but surely replace them.
Thanks again!
Tom

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> First try the procedure in this article to reset the icon cache:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926715
>
> Then see this article:
> 930426- The default system icon is displayed for Internet shortcut files:
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I recently installed SP3 and upgraded to IE7. Since then I lost the IE
> > address icon. The icon that is at the beginning of the URL in the address
> > bar? That one. The one that you would click and drag into your Links

> feature
> > on the Task Bar. In turn, all the bookmarks in my Favorites are missing

> the
> > IE icon. So are the IE links in the Task Bar links feature. In place of

> the
> > IE icon is that thing that looks like a white piece of paper with a corner
> > folded down. You know the one? The icon you get when a file is not

> supported
> > by a downloaded program?
> > How do I get that URL IE icon back?
> > Thanks.
> > Tom B.

Don Varnau

Re: Lost URL IE Icon
I had no idea that FavOrg could restore the default icon for Internet
Shortcuts. Thanks for the information.

> Don,
> Here's the thing that did it. It was a tool called FavOrg sponsored by PC
> Magazine.
> Here's the post:
>
> FavOrg - Restore and Save Favorite Icons
> http://www.gratilog.net/anglais/internet/favorg.zip
>

> The icon in URL's is now the IE icon. About half of the bookmark icons in

my
> Favorites have reverted back to the IE icon. The other half are still that
> "unsupported file" icon. I found that if I physically replace the bad ones
> with a new from the same website, then the new IE icon will appear. Since

> have well over 300 bookmarks, I will NOT be doing that. I'll have to live
> with them until I slowly but surely replace them.
> Thanks again!
> Tom

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > First try the procedure in this article to reset the icon cache:
> >
> > Then see this article:
> > 930426- The default system icon is displayed for Internet shortcut

files:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/930426

> > "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I recently installed SP3 and upgraded to IE7. Since then I lost the IE
> > > address icon. The icon that is at the beginning of the URL in the

address
> > > bar? That one. The one that you would click and drag into your Links

> > feature
> > > on the Task Bar. In turn, all the bookmarks in my Favorites are

missing
> > the
> > > IE icon. So are the IE links in the Task Bar links feature. In place

of
> > the
> > > IE icon is that thing that looks like a white piece of paper with a

corner
> > > folded down. You know the one? The icon you get when a file is not

> > supported
> > > by a downloaded program?
> > > How do I get that URL IE icon back?
> > > Thanks.
> > > Tom B.

ju.c

Re: Lost URL IE Icon
Internet Explorer Favorites - FavIcons display the Windows Default Icon

Favorites are just text files with an "URL" extension, which is hidden.

The FavIcon information is contained in the file as shown:

[DEFAULT]
BASEURL=http://website.com/
[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://website.com/
IDList=
IconFile=http://website.com/favicon.ico
IconIndex=1
DefaultIcon=
[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
Prop3=19,2

To fix the problem that your Favorites are displaying the Windows
default icon you must first choose which method to use. If you
want only the default Internet Explorer icon (not the website
FavIcon) then follow option 2. To restore the website FavIcons,
follow option 1.

OPTION 1

The quickest, best and easiest way to restore all your FavIcons
to there originals is to use "AM-Deadlink"

1. Download and install "AM-Deadlink". (Links below)

2. Run "AM-Deadlink" and click the button at the top, "Options".

3. Click "Settings" then open the "FavIcons" tab.

4. Enter a FavIcon directory, if not set. The default should be:
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\FavIcons

5. Click the OK button to exit options.

6. Click the button at the top, "FavIcons" then click on
"Check Bookmarks and download FavIcons".

7. Sit back and watch the magic!

AM-DeadLink 3.3 1.3 MB (Freeware)
Info: http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm
Download: http://www.aignes.com/download/dlsetup.exe
Mirror: http://www.aignes.com/download2/dlsetup.exe

OPTION 2

Internet Explorer Favicons - Restore IE's Default Icon

First you'll need to delete the existing Favicons, which are
stored in one of three places:

1) C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
Open the Run box and enter:
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 8
(If you are using IE6 or below then you'll have to delete the temp
files from inside IE)

2) C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\FavIcons
Open the Run box and enter:
del "%UserProfile%\Application Data\FavIcons\*.*"

3) Stored in the "Alternate Data Stream".
Use "AdsSpy" to delete the "Alternate Data Stream" Favicons:

1. Download and install "AdsSpy". (Links below)
2. Run Ads Spy and select "Scan only this folder:" and browse to
"C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Favorites".
3. Click the "Scan the system for alternate data streams" button.
4. Right-click inside the results box and choose "Select all".
5. Click the "Remove selected streams" button.

AdsSpy 1.11 26 KB (Freeware)
Info: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/adsspy.php
Download: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/Merijn/adsspy.zip

Next, you need to delete these 3 lines (if present) in your Favorites files:

IconFile=
IconIndex=
DefaultIcon=

To make it easy, create then merge this registry file to add an Edit
command when you right-click a Favorite:
(If you have a lot of Favorites use a "Search and Replace" program)

1. Copy below and paste into Notepad.
(Confirm notepad.exe path)

----------copy inside only----------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\shell\Edit]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\shell\Edit\comm and]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\notepad.exe %1"

----------copy inside only----------

2. Save-as URL_Edit.reg (or any name + .reg).

3. Double-click or right-click and merge into the registry.

After all that, set the Favorites folder to read-only:
Open the Run box and enter:
attrib +R "%UserProfile%\Favorites\*.*" /S

Important!
You will not see any changes until you restart your computer.

ju.c

"Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44B37203-0B9B-462F-BBAB-BE7E6834DA68@microsoft.com...
> I recently installed SP3 and upgraded to IE7. Since then I lost the IE
> address icon. The icon that is at the beginning of the URL in the address
> bar? That one. The one that you would click and drag into your Links feature
> on the Task Bar. In turn, all the bookmarks in my Favorites are missing the
> IE icon. So are the IE links in the Task Bar links feature. In place of the
> IE icon is that thing that looks like a white piece of paper with a corner
> folded down. You know the one? The icon you get when a file is not supported
> by a downloaded program?
> How do I get that URL IE icon back?
> Thanks.
> Tom B.

Tom B.

Re: Lost URL IE Icon
That FavOrg thing didn't resolve the problem completely. Only partially. I
installed IE8 over IE7 for SP3 and that resolved the missing icon/favicon
problem. Hope I don't have any trouble with IE8.
Thanks again for all your help.

Tom

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> I had no idea that FavOrg could restore the default icon for Internet
> Shortcuts. Thanks for the information.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Don,
> > Here's the thing that did it. It was a tool called FavOrg sponsored by PC
> > Magazine.
> > Here's the post:
> >
> > FavOrg - Restore and Save Favorite Icons
> > http://www.gratilog.net/anglais/internet/favorg.zip
> >

> > The icon in URL's is now the IE icon. About half of the bookmark icons in

> my
> > Favorites have reverted back to the IE icon. The other half are still that
> > "unsupported file" icon. I found that if I physically replace the bad ones
> > with a new from the same website, then the new IE icon will appear. Since

> > have well over 300 bookmarks, I will NOT be doing that. I'll have to live
> > with them until I slowly but surely replace them.
> > Thanks again!
> > Tom

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > First try the procedure in this article to reset the icon cache:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926715
> > >
> > > Then see this article:
> > > 930426- The default system icon is displayed for Internet shortcut

> files:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/930426

> > > "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> address
> > > feature

> missing
> > > the

> of
> > > the

> corner
> > > supported

Tom B.

Re: Lost URL IE Icon
ju.c,
I resolved the missing icon/favicon problem by upgrading from IE7 to IE8 for
SP3.
Just hope I don't have any trouble with IE8.
Thanks for all your invaluable suggestions.

Tom