History IE7.0

momo

History IE7.0
Hi

I have done the steps explained by someone here: I have deleted the history
folder , using the command prompt ( save mode).

now, two days later, my history is still empty? I did use IE everyday. Why
don't I get any list of visited websites?? (today, week, .. are missing)

Don Varnau

Re: History IE7.0
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista?

From Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore, do you have a
Restore Point just prior to the deletion of the History folder?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"momo" <hara_mo@hotmail.com(nospam)> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have done the steps explained by someone here: I have deleted the

history
> folder , using the command prompt ( save mode).
>
> now, two days later, my history is still empty? I did use IE everyday. Why
> don't I get any list of visited websites?? (today, week, .. are missing)

momo

Re: History IE7.0
Its vista basic

But wouldn't this be the solution to initialize the history folder so it
works back as normal?

I will try to do a system restore, but my point is to make sure my history
works as it should work( keeping websites in memory, visited today, last
week, last months...

"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista?
>
> From Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore, do you have a
> Restore Point just prior to the deletion of the History folder?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "momo" <hara_mo@hotmail.com(nospam)> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have done the steps explained by someone here: I have deleted the

> history
>> folder , using the command prompt ( save mode).
>>
>> now, two days later, my history is still empty? I did use IE everyday.
>> Why
>> don't I get any list of visited websites?? (today, week, .. are missing)

momo

Re: History IE7.0
My Volume Shadow copy service was disabled, so vista couldn't make restore
points. I just enabled it but there are no restore point.

Isn't there another method to solve the problem of ie7.0 history(not showing
the websites visited)

With kind regards

"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista?
>
> From Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore, do you have a
> Restore Point just prior to the deletion of the History folder?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "momo" <hara_mo@hotmail.com(nospam)> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have done the steps explained by someone here: I have deleted the

> history
>> folder , using the command prompt ( save mode).
>>
>> now, two days later, my history is still empty? I did use IE everyday.
>> Why
>> don't I get any list of visited websites?? (today, week, .. are missing)

Lorain

RE: History IE7.0

"momo" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have done the steps explained by someone here: I have deleted the history
> folder , using the command prompt ( save mode).
>
> now, two days later, my history is still empty? I did use IE everyday. Why
> don't I get any list of visited websites?? (today, week, .. are missing)
>
> I have the same problem. At first, it would show up, and the disappear the next time I opened IE. My favorites aren't displayed either, which I really rely on for websites names too complicated to recall. Now, for the last 4 days, neither show anything at all when I push favorites or history, and I really can't afford 59.00 to talk to technical support. Can anybody help me out?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: History IE7.0

"Lorain" <Lorain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5348F31-FDF3-4CE6-9605-992C3F516EDB@microsoft.com...

> "momo" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have done the steps explained by someone here: I have deleted the history
>> folder , using the command prompt ( save mode).
>>
>> now, two days later, my history is still empty? I did use IE everyday. Why
>> don't I get any list of visited websites?? (today, week, .. are missing)

Quoting corrected. Please don't overtype a poster's
quoted blank line. It makes your comments look like
a continuation of the OP's.

> I have the same problem. At first, it would show up, and the disappear the next time I opened IE.

That sounds different.

> My favorites aren't displayed either,

That sounds different too.

> which I really rely on for websites names too complicated
> to recall. Now, for the last 4 days, neither show anything
> at all when I push favorites or history, and I really can't
> afford 59.00 to talk to technical support.

> Can anybody help me out?

It's really best to start your own thread with your own details
(otherwise you risk hijacking or confusing the OP's thread
with contradictory details) but for a hint do a search for
previous replies that I made which include Vista and
desktop.ini

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

momo

Re: History IE7.0
Hi

Could someone assist me with this issue?

With kind regards

"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista?
>
> From Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore, do you have a
> Restore Point just prior to the deletion of the History folder?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "momo" <hara_mo@hotmail.com(nospam)> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have done the steps explained by someone here: I have deleted the

> history
>> folder , using the command prompt ( save mode).
>>
>> now, two days later, my history is still empty? I did use IE everyday.
>> Why
>> don't I get any list of visited websites?? (today, week, .. are missing)

Don Varnau

Re: History IE7.0
Hi,
Sorry, I have been busy. Deleting the History folder is not recommended in
Vista. Apparently, when the History folder is recreated, the desktop.ini
file which makes it a special system folder is not correctly created.

Dean-dean helps several Vista users in this discussion:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...6-d7cbb84ab269
same thread via google
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...381616517e5a33

The easiest way to resolve this may be for you to setup a new user account
and copy files and settings to that account.
Fix a corrupted user profile - Windows Vista Help:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...2001e1033.mspx

But we can do a little more testing...
From Start> Run, type in shell:history. Hit enter or OK. Does your History
folder located at Local Disk\Users\your
account\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History open?

If you start the computer in Safe Mode, login to the Administrator account,
make sure that hidden and system files are visible (Folder Options> View)
and browse to that History folder, what's in the desktop.ini file when you
open it with Notepad?

> Hi
>
> Could someone assist me with this issue?
>
> With kind regards

> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> schreef in bericht
> > Hi,
> > Windows XP or Vista?
> >
> > From Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore, do you have a
> > Restore Point just prior to the deletion of the History folder?

> > "momo" <hara_mo@hotmail.com(nospam)> wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I have done the steps explained by someone here: I have deleted the

> > history
> >> folder , using the command prompt ( save mode).
> >>
> >> now, two days later, my history is still empty? I did use IE everyday.
> >> Why
> >> don't I get any list of visited websites?? (today, week, .. are

missing)

momo

Re: History IE7.0
Hi

My OS is windows Vista basic.

Please assist me with this issue.

With kind regards

"momo" <hara_mo@hotmail.com(nospam)> schreef in bericht
> My Volume Shadow copy service was disabled, so vista couldn't make restore
> points. I just enabled it but there are no restore point.
>
> Isn't there another method to solve the problem of ie7.0 history(not
> showing the websites visited)
>

> With kind regards
>
> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> schreef in bericht
>> Hi,
>> Windows XP or Vista?
>>
>> From Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore, do you have a
>> Restore Point just prior to the deletion of the History folder?
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>

>> "momo" <hara_mo@hotmail.com(nospam)> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have done the steps explained by someone here: I have deleted the

>> history
>>> folder , using the command prompt ( save mode).
>>>
>>> now, two days later, my history is still empty? I did use IE everyday.
>>> Why
>>> don't I get any list of visited websites?? (today, week, .. are missing)

Don Varnau

Re: History IE7.0
Hi,
Sorry, I have been busy. I posted this on 3/18. Perhaps it did not make it
to the newsgroup.

Deleting the History folder is not recommended in Vista. Apparently, when
the History folder is recreated, the desktop.ini file which makes it a
special system folder is not correctly created.

Dean-dean helps several Vista users in this discussion:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...6-d7cbb84ab269
same thread via google
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...381616517e5a33

The easiest way to resolve this may be for you to setup a new user account
and copy files and settings to that account.
Fix a corrupted user profile - Windows Vista Help:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...2001e1033.mspx

But we can do a little more testing...
From Start> Run, type in shell:history. Hit enter or OK. Does your History