Internet Explorer 7 virtually unusable - multiple problems

Costello

Internet Explorer 7 virtually unusable - multiple problems
I'm at wits end. I recently just bought a brand new computer with Vista and
IE 7. I did an easy transfer from my old XP based PC to the new one. I am
having all sorts of problems with IE 7:

1) Won't go to my home page: www.comcast.com - gives me "Internet Explorer
cannot display the webpage" error after trying for a minute or two.
2) Takes forever to go from page to page - often have to click on link two
or three times and/or hit refresh. Frequently get "Internet Explorer cannot
display the webpage"
3) Can't go to "insider" pages on one particular site though I can go to
"insider message board. Always get a pop-up window with error "Internet
Explorer cannot operate internet site: xxxxx. Operation Aborted."
4) Occasionally receiving message "Internet Explorer has stopped working.
Windows is checking for a solution to the problem." This usually ends up
with an "Internet Explorer is restarting" message.

I've tried resetting my cable connection and have turned it off and back on.
I have tried followed instructions to reconfigure my IE completely which
resulted in 47 updates but still to no avail.

Not sure what else to do except to completely give up on IE and go to
Mozilla. Thanks in advance for any help.
Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer 7 virtually unusable - multiple problems
Problems can result when add-ons you have installed are damaged or
conflict with Internet Explorer.

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Costello wrote:
> I'm at wits end. I recently just bought a brand new computer with Vista and
> IE 7. I did an easy transfer from my old XP based PC to the new one. I am
> having all sorts of problems with IE 7:
>
> 1) Won't go to my home page: www.comcast.com - gives me "Internet Explorer
> cannot display the webpage" error after trying for a minute or two.
> 2) Takes forever to go from page to page - often have to click on link two
> or three times and/or hit refresh. Frequently get "Internet Explorer cannot
> display the webpage"
> 3) Can't go to "insider" pages on one particular site though I can go to
> "insider message board. Always get a pop-up window with error "Internet
> Explorer cannot operate internet site: xxxxx. Operation Aborted."
> 4) Occasionally receiving message "Internet Explorer has stopped working.
> Windows is checking for a solution to the problem." This usually ends up
> with an "Internet Explorer is restarting" message.
>
> I've tried resetting my cable connection and have turned it off and back on.
> I have tried followed instructions to reconfigure my IE completely which
> resulted in 47 updates but still to no avail.
>
> Not sure what else to do except to completely give up on IE and go to
> Mozilla. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Internet Explorer 7 virtually unusable - multiple problems
In no certain order:

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)

==

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm