ie7 not accepting text in fields

Ice

ie7 not accepting text in fields
Hi

I have run ie8 rc1 for several weeks with the occasional memory error. Two
days ago ie8 went unstable, not responding to links and refusing to
open/close windows. So I disinstalled ie8 and reinstalled ie8, problem
persisted. Next I disinstalled ie8 with a view to returning to ie7.
Ie7 from your website refused to run because I have a newer Ie
Next I system restored to last Monday.
Re-installed ie7
IE7 now working except it permits NO form of text input on form/fields. This
query has been entered courtesy of firefox.

Any suggestions would be appreciated to restore the service.

Operating System = XP SP3
Avg
Windows Defender
Auto updates set on all.
Scans in general 1-2 days
Computer passed hardware tests
Nothing done out of ordinary beforehand

Leonard Grey

Re: ie7 not accepting text in fields
"Ie7 from your website refused to run..."

Whose website? This is a public newsgroup consisting of your fellow
users. We don't have a website.

You installed unfinished software intended for web developers and beta
testers. Not surprisingly, it didn't work properly. So you installed it
/again./ Then you used an old restore point, so now your system is a
quaint mixture of old and new system files. Then you tried to install IE
7 on an already damaged copy of Windows. Guess what? IE 7 doesn't work
properly. Are you surprised?

Lessons learned:
1- Don't install unfinished software unless you know how to deal with
it. [E.g., virtual machine, backup system volume]
2- Ask for advice (or search the web) /before/ you try something you're
not familiar with.

For now, you can try to Reset Internet Explorer Settings:

"How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

If that doesn't restore IE 7 to full functioning, re-install Windows.
Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operating system, so a damaged
installation of Internet Explorer is a damaged installation of Windows.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Ice wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have run ie8 rc1 for several weeks with the occasional memory error. Two
> days ago ie8 went unstable, not responding to links and refusing to
> open/close windows. So I disinstalled ie8 and reinstalled ie8, problem
> persisted. Next I disinstalled ie8 with a view to returning to ie7.
> Ie7 from your website refused to run because I have a newer Ie
> Next I system restored to last Monday.
> Re-installed ie7
> IE7 now working except it permits NO form of text input on form/fields. This
> query has been entered courtesy of firefox.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated to restore the service.
>
> Operating System = XP SP3
> Avg
> Windows Defender
> Auto updates set on all.
> Scans in general 1-2 days
> Computer passed hardware tests
> Nothing done out of ordinary beforehand

Ice

Re: ie7 not accepting text in fields
1) Your website was assumed as being Microsoft
2) I only requested assistance as regards entering text, not having a heap
of sarcasm.
3) I am not a computer nerd and this was the site I was directed to and I
expect to be addressed as a non nerd and with manners..
4) I did say "Hi" at the beginning of the message so I wasn't looking for
aggro.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> "Ie7 from your website refused to run..."
>
> Whose website? This is a public newsgroup consisting of your fellow
> users. We don't have a website.
>
> You installed unfinished software intended for web developers and beta
> testers. Not surprisingly, it didn't work properly. So you installed it
> /again./ Then you used an old restore point, so now your system is a
> quaint mixture of old and new system files. Then you tried to install IE
> 7 on an already damaged copy of Windows. Guess what? IE 7 doesn't work
> properly. Are you surprised?
>
> Lessons learned:
> 1- Don't install unfinished software unless you know how to deal with
> it. [E.g., virtual machine, backup system volume]
> 2- Ask for advice (or search the web) /before/ you try something you're
> not familiar with.
>
> For now, you can try to Reset Internet Explorer Settings:
>
> "How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> If that doesn't restore IE 7 to full functioning, re-install Windows.
> Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operating system, so a damaged
> installation of Internet Explorer is a damaged installation of Windows.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Ice wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have run ie8 rc1 for several weeks with the occasional memory error. Two
> > days ago ie8 went unstable, not responding to links and refusing to
> > open/close windows. So I disinstalled ie8 and reinstalled ie8, problem
> > persisted. Next I disinstalled ie8 with a view to returning to ie7.
> > Ie7 from your website refused to run because I have a newer Ie
> > Next I system restored to last Monday.
> > Re-installed ie7
> > IE7 now working except it permits NO form of text input on form/fields. This
> > query has been entered courtesy of firefox.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated to restore the service.
> >
> > Operating System = XP SP3
> > Avg
> > Windows Defender
> > Auto updates set on all.
> > Scans in general 1-2 days
> > Computer passed hardware tests
> > Nothing done out of ordinary beforehand

Leonard Grey

Re: ie7 not accepting text in fields
Don't need to be a computer nerd to be successful with a computer.
Preparation and common sense get you very far.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Ice wrote:
> 1) Your website was assumed as being Microsoft
> 2) I only requested assistance as regards entering text, not having a heap
> of sarcasm.
> 3) I am not a computer nerd and this was the site I was directed to and I
> expect to be addressed as a non nerd and with manners..
> 4) I did say "Hi" at the beginning of the message so I wasn't looking for
> aggro.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> "Ie7 from your website refused to run..."
>>
>> Whose website? This is a public newsgroup consisting of your fellow
>> users. We don't have a website.
>>
>> You installed unfinished software intended for web developers and beta
>> testers. Not surprisingly, it didn't work properly. So you installed it
>> /again./ Then you used an old restore point, so now your system is a
>> quaint mixture of old and new system files. Then you tried to install IE
>> 7 on an already damaged copy of Windows. Guess what? IE 7 doesn't work
>> properly. Are you surprised?
>>
>> Lessons learned:
>> 1- Don't install unfinished software unless you know how to deal with
>> it. [E.g., virtual machine, backup system volume]
>> 2- Ask for advice (or search the web) /before/ you try something you're
>> not familiar with.
>>
>> For now, you can try to Reset Internet Explorer Settings:
>>
>> "How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> If that doesn't restore IE 7 to full functioning, re-install Windows.
>> Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operating system, so a damaged
>> installation of Internet Explorer is a damaged installation of Windows.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Ice wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have run ie8 rc1 for several weeks with the occasional memory error. Two
>>> days ago ie8 went unstable, not responding to links and refusing to
>>> open/close windows. So I disinstalled ie8 and reinstalled ie8, problem
>>> persisted. Next I disinstalled ie8 with a view to returning to ie7.
>>> Ie7 from your website refused to run because I have a newer Ie
>>> Next I system restored to last Monday.
>>> Re-installed ie7
>>> IE7 now working except it permits NO form of text input on form/fields. This
>>> query has been entered courtesy of firefox.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be appreciated to restore the service.
>>>
>>> Operating System = XP SP3
>>> Avg
>>> Windows Defender
>>> Auto updates set on all.
>>> Scans in general 1-2 days
>>> Computer passed hardware tests
>>> Nothing done out of ordinary beforehand

Don Varnau

Re: ie7 not accepting text in fields
Hi,
Your issues may have been caused by, and could still be caused by a browser
add-on.
For troubleshooting information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
More at:
Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
- - -
If the problem is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party program as
the cause. What's loading at startup and running in the background?
936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)
- - -
The solution may be to uninstall (XP) SP3 then uninstall/reinstall IE7.
Third-party antivirus/antispyware programs should be disabled when
installing Internet Explorer.
See other important information at:
Known issues - Installation tips - IE7:
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html
- - -
Your issues may be the result of a malware infection. Try this procedure:

1. Run the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
This is not a wide-spectrum tool, but is worth running.

2. Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

3. If there is *any* reason to suspect that the machine is still infected,
visit one of these sites, register and follow the protocol.

Aumha:
http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
Start at http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

SpywareHammer: