Why doesn't index.dat file timestamp update?

n.phelge01@gmail.com

Why doesn't index.dat file timestamp update?
My understanding is that the index.dat file is basically a database of
information about the temporary files. I can see that the Accessed
Date field is getting updated each time a file is accessed, but the
timestamp of the index.dat file itself is not changing. If the
index.dat file contains this Accessed Date timestamp which is being
updated, why does the timestamp of the index.dat file itself not get
updated as these Accessed Date timestamps change?

Thanks in advance
Daniel Crichton

Re: Why doesn't index.dat file timestamp update?
n.phelge01@gmail.com wrote on Fri, 13 Mar 2009 07:35:06 -0700 (PDT):

> My understanding is that the index.dat file is basically a database of
> information about the temporary files. I can see that the Accessed
> Date field is getting updated each time a file is accessed, but the
> timestamp of the index.dat file itself is not changing. If the
> index.dat file contains this Accessed Date timestamp which is being
> updated, why does the timestamp of the index.dat file itself not get
> updated as these Accessed Date timestamps change?

> Thanks in advance

Where is this index.dat file located? I don't appear to have one in my TIF
folder for IE7 on either of my PCs.

--
Dan

Daniel Crichton

Re: Why doesn't index.dat file timestamp update?
n.phelge01@gmail.com wrote on Fri, 13 Mar 2009 07:35:06 -0700 (PDT):

> My understanding is that the index.dat file is basically a database of
> information about the temporary files. I can see that the Accessed
> Date field is getting updated each time a file is accessed, but the
> timestamp of the index.dat file itself is not changing. If the
> index.dat file contains this Accessed Date timestamp which is being
> updated, why does the timestamp of the index.dat file itself not get
> updated as these Accessed Date timestamps change?

> Thanks in advance

Gah, ignore my other reply. I found it.

The ones on my PCs have their Modified and Access dates as I expect them,
both within the past few mins. The Created date won't change because the
file isn't being recreated continuously, it's simply being modified.

--
Dan

n.phelge01@gmail.com

Re: Why doesn't index.dat file timestamp update?
On Mar 13, 11:25*am, "Daniel Crichton" <msn...@worldofspack.com>
wrote:
> n.phelg...@gmail.com wrote *on Fri, 13 Mar 2009 07:35:06 -0700 (PDT):
>
> > My understanding is that theindex.datfileis basically a database of
> > information about the temporary files. I can see that the Accessed
> > Date field is getting updated each time afileis accessed, but the
> >timestampof theindex.datfileitself is not changing. If the
> >index.datfilecontains this Accessed Datetimestampwhich is being
> > updated, why does thetimestampof theindex.datfileitself not get
> > updated as these Accessed Date timestamps change?
> > Thanks in advance

> Gah, ignore my other reply. I found it.
>
> The ones on my PCs have their Modified and Access dates as I expect them,
> both within the past few mins. The Created date won't change because thefileisn't being recreated continuously, it's simply being modified.
>
> --
> Dan

Using IE6, I can see that the Accessed Date timestamp of specific URLs
are being updated, but the index.dat file shown in Windows Explorer is
not having its Date Modified column updated to match (Date Modified of
index.dat is older than the Accessed Date of recently accessed URL
that were already cached). My question is - does index.dat contain
the Accessed Date timestamp value, and if so, why isn't the Date
Modified of index.dat updated?

Thanks
rob^_^

Re: Why doesn't index.dat file timestamp update?
Are you pressing F5 (refresh) in windows explorer to update its values
between file access events.

IE won't be telling all Explorer windows to update their displays each time
the index.dat file is accessed.

Regards.

<n.phelge01@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mar 13, 11:25 am, "Daniel Crichton" <msn...@worldofspack.com>
> wrote:
>> n.phelg...@gmail.com wrote on Fri, 13 Mar 2009 07:35:06 -0700 (PDT):
>>
>> > My understanding is that theindex.datfileis basically a database of
>> > information about the temporary files. I can see that the Accessed
>> > Date field is getting updated each time afileis accessed, but the
>> >timestampof theindex.datfileitself is not changing. If the
>> >index.datfilecontains this Accessed Datetimestampwhich is being
>> > updated, why does thetimestampof theindex.datfileitself not get
>> > updated as these Accessed Date timestamps change?
>> > Thanks in advance

>> Gah, ignore my other reply. I found it.
>>
>> The ones on my PCs have their Modified and Access dates as I expect them,
>> both within the past few mins. The Created date won't change because
>> thefileisn't being recreated continuously, it's simply being modified.
>>
>> --
>> Dan

> Using IE6, I can see that the Accessed Date timestamp of specific URLs
> are being updated, but the index.dat file shown in Windows Explorer is
> not having its Date Modified column updated to match (Date Modified of
> index.dat is older than the Accessed Date of recently accessed URL
> that were already cached). My question is - does index.dat contain
> the Accessed Date timestamp value, and if so, why isn't the Date
> Modified of index.dat updated?
>
> Thanks

Robert Aldwinckle

<n.phelge01@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e07b47eb-cd68-4800-88af-c4dcc1e545a7@l16g2000yqo.googlegroups.com...
> My understanding is that the index.dat file is basically a database of
> information about the temporary files. I can see that the Accessed
> Date field is getting updated each time a file is accessed, but the
> timestamp of the index.dat file itself is not changing. If the
> index.dat file contains this Accessed Date timestamp which is being
> updated,

> why does the timestamp of the index.dat file itself not get
> updated as these Accessed Date timestamps change?

Always disclose your OS and version when you are looking
for support. ; }

My guess would be that you aren't looking at the right
index.dat. You could use ProcMon to see whether
any index.dat is written to when something new is written
in the TIF. However, it is also possible that such writes
are deferred for a long time, perhaps even until you close
all instances of iexplore.exe. So, that would be another
case to check--assuming you have found the right file
to monitor. ; )

> Thanks in advance

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

n.phelge01@gmail.com

Re: Why doesn't index.dat file timestamp update?
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I'm using XP Embeded with IE6.
I have closed the instance of Windows Explorer and opened it again,
and the Date Modified of the index.dat has not changed.
I've used the utility Index Dat Spy to view the contents of the
index.dat file on another PC, and the timestamps are updated within
the index.dat file.

I realize that this is a Windows internal file and concept, but I was
wondering if the behavior I am seeing is unique or if anyone has an
explanation.

Thanks in advance

Robert Aldwinckle

<n.phelge01@gmail.com> wrote in message news:96bc9fed-62f5-41f6-8af2-a84b1ea766b3@v39g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
>
> I'm using XP Embeded with IE6.
> I have closed the instance of Windows Explorer and opened it again,
> and the Date Modified of the index.dat has not changed.

Then I suspect you are looking at the wrong directory.
Is anything in it getting changed?

> I've used the utility Index Dat Spy to view the contents of the
> index.dat file on another PC, and the timestamps are updated within
> the index.dat file.

No need for that. To make sure you have the right path
Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter shell:cache

Capture the path from that window's Address bar.
E.g. press Alt-d,Ctrl-c

Switch to a cmd.exe window (aka Command Prompt)
and type: cd /d
(plus a space). Then right-click, Paste and press Enter.
Finally, enter these two commands:

cd Content.IE5
and
dir/a/od

That should show you when index.dat was last written to
and whether it was the last thing changed in that directory.

> I realize that this is a Windows internal file and concept, but I was
> wondering if the behavior I am seeing is unique or if anyone has an
> explanation.

Make sure you are looking at the right thing... ; )

> Thanks in advance

Good luck

Robert
---