Can't popup in new window instead of tab.

Mechphisto

Can't popup in new window instead of tab.
I'm trying to make it so that a clicked link will open a Flash movie
into its own set size window. But in IE8 (and IE8 emulating IE7) it
only opens up in a new tab, with the movie filling the entire window's
size!

Here's the link I'm trying:

<Script Language="JavaScript">
function load() {
var load = window.open('http://www.girlscoutsmoheartland.org/flash/
twitter_tutorial.swf','_blank','scrollbars=no,menu bar=no,fullscreen=0,height=400,width=550,resizable =no,toolbar=no,location=no,status=no,zoominherit=0 ');
}
// -->
</Script>

Open Flash tutorial in a separate window by <a href="javascript:load
()">clicking here</a>.

It works fine in Firefox and Google Chrome. But obviously, I need it
to work in IE!
Any advice?
Thanks!
Liam
Mechphisto

Re: Can't popup in new window instead of tab.
On Mar 12, 1:35*pm, Mechphisto <mechphi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to make it so that a clicked link will open a Flash movie

[..snip..]

Really? No suggestions for this?
Robert Aldwinckle

"Mechphisto" <mechphisto@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7384123f-ee99-4d1d-b185-fbdbbc54a3f1@w9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
On Mar 12, 1:35pm, Mechphisto <mechphi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to make it so that a clicked link will open a Flash movie

[..snip..]

Really? No suggestions for this?

Try the MSDN forums for IE web developers.

---

On Mar 16, 9:56*am, "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote:
> "Mechphisto" <mechphi...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:7384123f-ee99-4d1d-b185-fbdbbc54a3f1@w9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
>
> On Mar 12, 1:35pm, Mechphisto <mechphi...@gmail.com> wrote:> I'm trying to make it so that a clicked link will open a Flash movie
>
> [..snip..]
>
> Really? No suggestions for this?
>
> Try the MSDN forums for IE web developers.
>
> ---

Thanks for the suggestion.
Ironically, trying to sign into their forum
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...webdevelopment
I get Web server errors. :-/
Robert Aldwinckle

"Mechphisto" <mechphisto@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1fff73cc-1f40-4fcd-940d-5e961fb4323d@q9g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
On Mar 16, 9:56am, "Robert Aldwinckle"

<QP>

> Try the MSDN forums for IE web developers.
>
> ---

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ironically, trying to sign into their forum
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...webdevelopment
I get Web server errors. :-/

</QP>

Might be a Cookies issue with any of the hosts involved.
A possible workaround is to login with a Live ID explicitly
first, instead of relying on the redirect mechanism which
is sometimes flakey.

E.g. try this first:

http://login.live.com/login.srf?

Good luck

Robert
---

On Mar 16, 10:38 pm, "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote:
> "Mechphisto" <mechphi...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1fff73cc-1f40-4fcd-940d-5e961fb4323d@q9g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
>
> On Mar 16, 9:56am, "Robert Aldwinckle"
>
> <QP>
>
> > Try the MSDN forums for IE web developers.

> > ---

> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Ironically, trying to sign into their forumhttp://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/newthread/?forum=iewebd...
> I get Web server errors. :-/
>
> </QP>
>
> Might be a Cookies issue with any of the hosts involved.
> A possible workaround is to login with a Live ID explicitly
> first, instead of relying on the redirect mechanism which
> is sometimes flakey.
>
> E.g. try this first:
>
> http://login.live.com/login.srf?
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert
> ---

Again, I appreciate the help.
But again an error. Kinda suspicious to have so many...may be
something on my end. Although I've tried both IE8 and Google Chrome.
Weird that both browsers would have cookie errors.

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at https://login.live.com/ppsecure/post.srf?bk=1237298322
might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new
web address.

More information on this error
Below is the original error message

Error 2 (net::ERR_FAILED): Unknown error.
Robert Aldwinckle

"Mechphisto" <mechphisto@gmail.com> wrote in message news:f9e7d1e8-8df2-4cec-97b7-d41d876c411f@o11g2000yql.googlegroups.com...
> On Mar 16, 10:38 pm, "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote:
>> "Mechphisto" <mechphi...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1fff73cc-1f40-4fcd-940d-5e961fb4323d@q9g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> On Mar 16, 9:56am, "Robert Aldwinckle"
>>
>> <QP>
>>
>> > Try the MSDN forums for IE web developers.

>> > ---

>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> Ironically, trying to sign into their forumhttp://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/newthread/?forum=iewebd...
>> I get Web server errors. :-/
>>
>> </QP>
>>
>> Might be a Cookies issue with any of the hosts involved.
>> A possible workaround is to login with a Live ID explicitly
>> first, instead of relying on the redirect mechanism which
>> is sometimes flakey.
>>
>> E.g. try this first:
>>
>> http://login.live.com/login.srf?
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Robert
>> ---

> Again, I appreciate the help.
> But again an error. Kinda suspicious to have so many...may be
> something on my end. Although I've tried both IE8 and Google Chrome.
> Weird that both browsers would have cookie errors.
>

> This webpage is not available.
>
> The webpage at https://login.live.com/ppsecure/post.srf?bk=1237298322
> might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new
> web address.
>
> More information on this error
> Below is the original error message
>
> Error 2 (net::ERR_FAILED): Unknown error.

What is your connection path? E.g. is there a proxy
in the way? Then the https could be a problem.

You can use Fiddler2 to see what is going on and even
force https through it (IE will complain about certificate
because of man-in-the-middle pass-through, as Eric
Lawrence explains on the Fiddler FAQ site).

BTW that suggestion of logging in first didn't work as
smoothly as I imagined it would. I got a message in
the forums page then that I wasn't logged in with only
a Continue button usable on it. Using that button
got my login recognized somehow. YMMV.

Good luck

Robert
---