Problems with IE 7

jeanie402000

Problems with IE 7
I have several problems with IE 7.
#1 It will not open most web pages. Period. I've cleaned out the cache. I've
tried lowering the security settings. Nothing.
#2 Ever since I downloaded IE 7, my windows update doesn't work anymore.
The last two files it downloaded are corrupted and will not continue. I've
tried using the microsoft web site but IE 7 refuses to download the active X
file required. I HATE IE 7.
Leonard Grey

Re: Problems with IE 7
Whenever posting a question about Internet Explorer, it's important to
say what version of Windows you have (including the service pack.)

Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
procedures described here:

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.

If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
directions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).

Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.

Problems can result when add-ons you have installed are damaged or
conflict with Internet Explorer.

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

jeanie402000 wrote:
> I have several problems with IE 7.
> #1 It will not open most web pages. Period. I've cleaned out the cache. I've
> tried lowering the security settings. Nothing.
> #2 Ever since I downloaded IE 7, my windows update doesn't work anymore.
> The last two files it downloaded are corrupted and will not continue. I've
> tried using the microsoft web site but IE 7 refuses to download the active X
> file required. I HATE IE 7.

Hytrogen

Re: Problems with IE 7
Is anyone seeing the trends here across these boards? Obviously there is a
serious problem with a patch upgrade posted by Adobe for their latest version
of Flash Player that is causing a serious malfunction of the internet across
the globe now it seems. Much of which is indirectly so users cannot view the
likes of heavily dependant flashmedia sites such as "YouTube.com" etc.
Has anyone even bothered to stop the download becoming available or saught
to see the solution to this crisis and making it available before more
systems will be affected instead of spreading this headache?!
I'm noticing myself i can't download any patches or softwares, particularly
non-microsoft softwares to resolve the problem now as a result of this crisis.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Whenever posting a question about Internet Explorer, it's important to
> say what version of Windows you have (including the service pack.)
>
> Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
> procedures described here:
>
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>
> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
> incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
> to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
> directions:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> ....and...
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
> better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
> install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).
>
> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
>
> Problems can result when add-ons you have installed are damaged or
> conflict with Internet Explorer.
>
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
> caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
> how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> jeanie402000 wrote:
> > I have several problems with IE 7.
> > #1 It will not open most web pages. Period. I've cleaned out the cache. I've
> > tried lowering the security settings. Nothing.
> > #2 Ever since I downloaded IE 7, my windows update doesn't work anymore.
> > The last two files it downloaded are corrupted and will not continue. I've
> > tried using the microsoft web site but IE 7 refuses to download the active X
> > file required. I HATE IE 7.

Donald Anadell

Re: Problems with IE 7

"Hytrogen" <Hytrogen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Is anyone seeing the trends here across these boards?

These boards?
It's difficult to establish trends in Newsgroups, primarily because the only
people who post in this group are those that are having problems(real or
perceived) on their machines. People who don't have problems(real or
perceived) with there machines(the silent majority) don't tend to post here
signaling the fact that their machines don't have any problems.

>Obviously there is a
> serious problem with a patch upgrade posted by Adobe for their latest
> version
> of Flash Player that is causing a serious malfunction of the internet
> across
> the globe now it seems.

If this is so, then why don't I experience this issue? I maintain 5
machines here, all with the latest version of the Flash Player(Flash10b.ocx)
on them and don't experience any "serious malfunctions".

> Much of which is indirectly so users cannot view the
> likes of heavily dependant flashmedia sites such as "YouTube.com" etc.

If you have a specific problem involving IE7, please begin your own Thread
describing your specific problem. Hijacking another Thread simply to post a
rant will not garner you much help in this Newsgroup. If it is indeed just
a rant, then take it to the appropriate Adobe Flash Player forum:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...84&STARTPAGE=1

> Has anyone even bothered to stop the download becoming available or saught
> to see the solution to this crisis and making it available before more
> systems will be affected instead of spreading this headache?!

No one here works for Microsoft or Adobe, we are end users just like
yourself. If you start your own Thread detailing your problem(s) then
someone here might be able to offer you some help in troubleshooting your
issues:

How to ask a question:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Making a good Newsgroup Post:
http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> I'm noticing myself i can't download any patches or softwares,
> particularly
> non-microsoft softwares to resolve the problem now as a result of this
> crisis.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Whenever posting a question about Internet Explorer, it's important to
>> say what version of Windows you have (including the service pack.)
>>
>> Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
>> procedures described here:
>>
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>>
>> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
>> incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
>> to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
>> directions:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
>> ....and...
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>>
>> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
>> better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
>> install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).
>>
>> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
>> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
>>
>> Problems can result when add-ons you have installed are damaged or
>> conflict with Internet Explorer.
>>
>> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>>
>> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
>> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>> following target path:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>
>> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
>> caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
>> how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
>>
>> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
>> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> jeanie402000 wrote:
>> > I have several problems with IE 7.
>> > #1 It will not open most web pages. Period. I've cleaned out the cache.
>> > I've
>> > tried lowering the security settings. Nothing.
>> > #2 Ever since I downloaded IE 7, my windows update doesn't work
>> > anymore.
>> > The last two files it downloaded are corrupted and will not continue.
>> > I've
>> > tried using the microsoft web site but IE 7 refuses to download the
>> > active X
>> > file required. I HATE IE 7.

Sven Pran

Re: Problems with IE 7
There were severe errors in Flash version 10 release 10.0.12.36 (the module
used in IE was Flash10a.ocx).

One of the errors that was discovered almost immediately early November 2008
was that IE7 began freeziing randomly. Apparently many users never
encountered this problem, for other users it became completely intolerable.
I for one found it neccessary to completely disable Flash on my computer.

Flash was eventually upgraded to release 10.0.22.87 a couple of weeks ago
(the module used in IE became Flash10b.ocx).

There are some neccessary precautions when installing or upgrading Flash.
Just uninstalling or installing flash using the control panel in Windows is
not reliable, a special uninstaller provided by Adobe is required. More on
this can be found on Adobes web pages.

After successfully upgrading Flash to release 10.0.22.87 most, if not all
problems seems to have gone away.

regards Sven

"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message

> [...]

>>> Problems can result when add-ons you have installed are damaged or
>>> conflict with Internet Explorer.
>>>
>>> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>>>
>>> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
>>> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>>
>>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>>
>>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>>> following target path:
>>>
>>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>>
>>> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
>>> caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
>>> how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
>>>
>>> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
>>> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

Donald Anadell

Re: Problems with IE 7

"Sven Pran" <no.direct@mail.please> wrote in message
> There were severe errors in Flash version 10 release 10.0.12.36 (the
> module used in IE was Flash10a.ocx).
>
> One of the errors that was discovered almost immediately early November
> 2008 was that IE7 began freeziing randomly. Apparently many users never
> encountered this problem, for other users it became completely
> intolerable. I for one found it neccessary to completely disable Flash on
> my computer.
>
> Flash was eventually upgraded to release 10.0.22.87 a couple of weeks ago
> (the module used in IE became Flash10b.ocx).
>
> There are some neccessary precautions when installing or upgrading Flash.
> Just uninstalling or installing flash using the control panel in Windows
> is not reliable, a special uninstaller provided by Adobe is required. More
> on this can be found on Adobes web pages.
>
> After successfully upgrading Flash to release 10.0.22.87 most, if not all
> problems seems to have gone away.
>
> regards Sven

Why are directing your reply to me?

I remember the problems you had with the Flash Player(in your many posts to
this newsgroup), as a matter of fact I'm the one who suggested to you that
you update to Flash10b.ocx.

Please bear in mind that the Adobe Flash Player is installed on well over
745 million Internet-connected PCs and mobile devices worldwide. Those
experiencing problems with the Flash Player represent a very small
percentage of that Demographic. Remember also that you only see posts in
this newsgroup and the Adobe Flash Player forum from those that experience
problems with the Flash Player for what ever reason(s).

The original poster[Hytrogen] implies in his||her post that there is a
"crisis" with the Flash Player, to me that term implies a Universal problem
affecting all the millions of installations of the Flash Player. And this
is certainly not the case.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> "Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Hytrogen" <Hytrogen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Is anyone seeing the trends here across these boards?

>> These boards?
>> It's difficult to establish trends in Newsgroups, primarily because the
>> only people who post in this group are those that are having
>> problems(real or perceived) on their machines. People who don't have
>> problems(real or perceived) with there machines(the silent majority)
>> don't tend to post here signaling the fact that their machines don't have
>> any problems.
>>
>>>Obviously there is a
>>> serious problem with a patch upgrade posted by Adobe for their latest
>>> version
>>> of Flash Player that is causing a serious malfunction of the internet
>>> across
>>> the globe now it seems.

>> If this is so, then why don't I experience this issue? I maintain 5
>> machines here, all with the latest version of the Flash
>> Player(Flash10b.ocx) on them and don't experience any "serious
>> malfunctions".
>>
>>> Much of which is indirectly so users cannot view the
>>> likes of heavily dependant flashmedia sites such as "YouTube.com" etc.

>> If you have a specific problem involving IE7, please begin your own
>> Thread describing your specific problem. Hijacking another Thread simply
>> to post a rant will not garner you much help in this Newsgroup. If it is
>> indeed just a rant, then take it to the appropriate Adobe Flash Player
>> forum:
>>
>> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...84&STARTPAGE=1
>>
>>> Has anyone even bothered to stop the download becoming available or
>>> saught
>>> to see the solution to this crisis and making it available before more
>>> systems will be affected instead of spreading this headache?!

>> No one here works for Microsoft or Adobe, we are end users just like
>> yourself. If you start your own Thread detailing your problem(s) then
>> someone here might be able to offer you some help in troubleshooting your
>> issues:
>>
>> How to ask a question:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> Making a good Newsgroup Post:
>> http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
>>

>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell
>>

>>> I'm noticing myself i can't download any patches or softwares,
>>> particularly
>>> non-microsoft softwares to resolve the problem now as a result of this
>>> crisis.

Sven Pran

Re: Problems with IE 7

> "Sven Pran" <no.direct@mail.please> wrote in message
>> There were severe errors in Flash version 10 release 10.0.12.36 (the
>> module used in IE was Flash10a.ocx).
>>
>> One of the errors that was discovered almost immediately early November
>> 2008 was that IE7 began freeziing randomly. Apparently many users never
>> encountered this problem, for other users it became completely
>> intolerable. I for one found it neccessary to completely disable Flash on
>> my computer.
>>
>> Flash was eventually upgraded to release 10.0.22.87 a couple of weeks ago
>> (the module used in IE became Flash10b.ocx).
>>
>> There are some neccessary precautions when installing or upgrading Flash.
>> Just uninstalling or installing flash using the control panel in Windows
>> is not reliable, a special uninstaller provided by Adobe is required.
>> More on this can be found on Adobes web pages.
>>
>> After successfully upgrading Flash to release 10.0.22.87 most, if not all
>> problems seems to have gone away.
>>
>> regards Sven

> Why are directing your reply to me?

Sorry, I wasn't directing my comment particularly to you - I intended to
summarize the state because I still see problems reports seemingly involving
Flash still popping up here from time to time, possibly because users still
have not successfully updated to 10.0.22.87.

And I am really surprised that with the recent history of Flash 10 examining
the Flash installation is still not suggested as the first debug issue to
those reports, at least yet for some time to come.

> I remember the problems you had with the Flash Player(in your many posts
> to this newsgroup), as a matter of fact I'm the one who suggested to you
> that you update to Flash10b.ocx.

Yes, and when that happened I had been monitoring Adobe almost daily for
weeks for a solution ever since I became aware of Flash being the culprit,
a fact that I discovered had been "known" in the community since early
November. It would have saved me lots of frustration and wasted time had I
been told this simple fact instead of being asked to start IE7 with no
add-ons, completely rebuild my system, test for having malware on my system
(which anyway is highly unlikely the way I have my system configured) etc.
etc.

> Please bear in mind that the Adobe Flash Player is installed on well over
> 745 million Internet-connected PCs and mobile devices worldwide. Those
> experiencing problems with the Flash Player represent a very small
> percentage of that Demographic. Remember also that you only see posts in
> this newsgroup and the Adobe Flash Player forum from those that experience
> problems with the Flash Player for what ever reason(s).
>
> The original poster[Hytrogen] implies in his||her post that there is a
> "crisis" with the Flash Player, to me that term implies a Universal
> problem affecting all the millions of installations of the Flash Player.
> And this is certainly not the case.

There might be zillions of installations using Flash without any problem,
this is completely irrelevant and in no way changes the fact that according
to the release description issued with 10.0.22.87 there was several errors
in Flash 10.0.12.22, at least some of which must be classified as very
serious. And it is worth noting that the main thread on Adobe forum dealing
with the Flash IE7 freeze problem got a reputation of being one of the
biggest threads on the forum. So much for only a small percentage of Flash
users suffering from this problem?

The fact is that the IE7 freeze problem acted very randomly, but to many of
those who suffered from it (including me) it was a major problem.

> Good luck,

Thanks, I had it at last.

regards Sven

Leonard Grey

Re: Problems with IE 7
Sven has this chip on his shoulder over Flash, so now be blames
everything on Flash.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Sven Pran wrote:

> [...]

>> "crisis" with the Flash Player, to me that term implies a Universal
>> problem affecting all the millions of installations of the Flash
>> Player. And this is certainly not the case.

> There might be zillions of installations using Flash without any
> problem, this is completely irrelevant and in no way changes the fact
> that according to the release description issued with 10.0.22.87 there
> was several errors in Flash 10.0.12.22, at least some of which must be
> classified as very serious. And it is worth noting that the main thread
> on Adobe forum dealing with the Flash IE7 freeze problem got a
> reputation of being one of the biggest threads on the forum. So much for
> only a small percentage of Flash users suffering from this problem?
>
> The fact is that the IE7 freeze problem acted very randomly, but to many
> of those who suffered from it (including me) it was a major problem.

Sven Pran

Re: Problems with IE 7

> Sven has this chip on his shoulder over Flash, so now be blames everything
> on Flash.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est

Certainly not. But Flash 10.0.12.36 has now been proven a disaster (even if
so many millions of users allegedly have met no problem due to it).

I am very happy with Flash 10.0.22.87 but as long as there apparently still
exists users with 10.0.12.36 I consider Flash the prime suspect of their
troubles with IE7 freezing (or crashing). This is so easy to verify so why
not first do the quick and simple checks before engaging in more demanding
debug routines?

I only wish someone would have guided me to the already then known issues
with Flash 10.0.12.36 instead of suppressing that knowledge and provide me
with unneccessary and timeconsuming suggestions at the time I originally
posted my own problem. (I even got insulted when I asked some questions on
their suggestions!)

Sven