FTP & IE7

sanju

FTP & IE7
Hi All;

I have a ftp server with multiple virtual directory configured under
the the
Default FTP Site in IIS. Each virtual directory mapped to an
individual ftp
user. Each ftp user cannot access to other virtual directory that do
not
belongs to them. The anonymous access was removed in IIS.

When I use IE7 to open my FTP site with one of the ftp user account, I
found
that this user account can browse all other virtual directories from
the
root although this ftp user account cannot access to other
directories. When
I use IE6, it works fine, the ftp user can see and access to their own
directory only.

In terms of security, I have no idea what ftp client program would my
FTP
user to use, if they are using IE7 as my test, they will see all
subfolders
(virtual directories). Is there any way that I can block it from the
ftp
root folder if they use IE7 to access to my ftp server.

Thanks in advance!!
Allan

Re: FTP & IE7

"sanju" <sdherange@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All;
>
> I have a ftp server with multiple virtual directory configured under
> the the
> Default FTP Site in IIS. Each virtual directory mapped to an
> individual ftp
> user. Each ftp user cannot access to other virtual directory that do
> not
> belongs to them. The anonymous access was removed in IIS.
>
> When I use IE7 to open my FTP site with one of the ftp user account, I
> found
> that this user account can browse all other virtual directories from
> the
> root although this ftp user account cannot access to other
> directories. When
> I use IE6, it works fine, the ftp user can see and access to their own
> directory only.
>
> In terms of security, I have no idea what ftp client program would my
> FTP
> user to use, if they are using IE7 as my test, they will see all
> subfolders
> (virtual directories). Is there any way that I can block it from the
> ftp
> root folder if they use IE7 to access to my ftp server.
>
> Thanks in advance!!

It sounds like you need secure FTP connections and seperate client
certificates for each user. You have noticed another problem with FTP; I
don't think this can be called a bug in IE7. The FTP connection itself is
not secure and passwords are not encrypted.