Why can't I decide where I want my Links/Favorites bar?

John M.

Why can't I decide where I want my Links/Favorites bar?
IE7 let me combine the Links bar (now Favorites) and the File Menu bar,
saving a whole bar's worth of space. IE8 won't allow it. WHY? Why do
'upgrades' continue to offer user's less flexibility? Why did I have to run
a third party fix on IE7 just to have my File Menu bar at the top where it's
supposed to be?

Could someone PLEASE develop a script that allows me to move my Favorites
bar up to the file menu so I can get some vertical space back? It would be
WONDERFUL if Microsoft would just allow it.

Does anyone know what Microsoft gains by continually removing options that
users are fond of and have grown used to? Why does every new upgrade force
me to use the software in a way I don't want to until some third party
develops a work around? What does Microsoft lose by allowing me to move my
menus around? I just don't understand why they continually remove options
from me with each successive 'upgrade'?

Re: Why can't I decide where I want my Links/Favorites bar?
IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta

Via the web-interface:

Via your newsreader:

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

John M. wrote:
> IE7 let me combine the Links bar (now Favorites) and the File Menu bar,
> saving a whole bar's worth of space. IE8 won't allow it. WHY? Why do
> 'upgrades' continue to offer user's less flexibility? Why did I have to
> run
> a third party fix on IE7 just to have my File Menu bar at the top where
> it's
> supposed to be?
>
> Could someone PLEASE develop a script that allows me to move my Favorites
> bar up to the file menu so I can get some vertical space back? It would
> be
> WONDERFUL if Microsoft would just allow it.
>
> Does anyone know what Microsoft gains by continually removing options that
> users are fond of and have grown used to? Why does every new upgrade
> force
> me to use the software in a way I don't want to until some third party
> develops a work around? What does Microsoft lose by allowing me to move
> my menus around? I just don't understand why they continually remove
> options from me with each successive 'upgrade'?

John M.

Re: Why can't I decide where I want my Links/Favorites bar?
Hmmm. I'm much better interpreting words as an answer rather than a set of
links, but I thank you for at least something. I assume by posting a link on
how to uninstall IE8, I'm essentially being told that no one really cares
about user customizations being taken away. I don't have a big monitor, so
vertical space is important to me. IE6 and IE7 let me decide where the menu
bars go. If Microsoft now feels this is too trivial to worry about and
insists I view the product in a "space-inefficient' manner, maybe it's time
to try something new.

I've always used IE and have never even tried Firefox or Chrome, but
clearly, it's time to try. I will follow your advice, uninstall, and go with
the competitor's product. Hopefully, they value the user's ability to
customize the look and feel of the software more than Microsoft does.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta
>
> Via the web-interface:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xplorer. beta
>
> Via your newsreader:
>
> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> John M. wrote:
> > IE7 let me combine the Links bar (now Favorites) and the File Menu bar,
> > saving a whole bar's worth of space. IE8 won't allow it. WHY? Why do
> > 'upgrades' continue to offer user's less flexibility? Why did I have to
> > run
> > a third party fix on IE7 just to have my File Menu bar at the top where
> > it's
> > supposed to be?
> >
> > Could someone PLEASE develop a script that allows me to move my Favorites
> > bar up to the file menu so I can get some vertical space back? It would
> > be
> > WONDERFUL if Microsoft would just allow it.
> >
> > Does anyone know what Microsoft gains by continually removing options that
> > users are fond of and have grown used to? Why does every new upgrade
> > force
> > me to use the software in a way I don't want to until some third party
> > develops a work around? What does Microsoft lose by allowing me to move
> > my menus around? I just don't understand why they continually remove
> > options from me with each successive 'upgrade'?

Jim

"John M." <JohnM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hmmm. I'm much better interpreting words as an answer rather than a set
> of
> links, but I thank you for at least something. I assume by posting a link
> on
> how to uninstall IE8, I'm essentially being told that no one really cares
> about user customizations being taken away. I don't have a big monitor,
> so
> vertical space is important to me. IE6 and IE7 let me decide where the
> menu
> bars go. If Microsoft now feels this is too trivial to worry about and
> insists I view the product in a "space-inefficient' manner, maybe it's
> time
> to try something new.
>
> I've always used IE and have never even tried Firefox or Chrome, but
> clearly, it's time to try. I will follow your advice, uninstall, and go
> with
> the competitor's product. Hopefully, they value the user's ability to
> customize the look and feel of the software more than Microsoft does.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta
>>
>> Via the web-interface:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xplorer. beta
>>
>> Via your newsreader:
>>
>> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> John M. wrote:
>> > IE7 let me combine the Links bar (now Favorites) and the File Menu bar,
>> > saving a whole bar's worth of space. IE8 won't allow it. WHY? Why do
>> > 'upgrades' continue to offer user's less flexibility? Why did I have
>> > run
>> > a third party fix on IE7 just to have my File Menu bar at the top where
>> > it's
>> > supposed to be?
>> >
>> > Could someone PLEASE develop a script that allows me to move my
>> > Favorites
>> > bar up to the file menu so I can get some vertical space back? It
>> > would
>> > be
>> > WONDERFUL if Microsoft would just allow it.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know what Microsoft gains by continually removing options
>> > that
>> > users are fond of and have grown used to? Why does every new upgrade
>> > force
>> > me to use the software in a way I don't want to until some third party
>> > develops a work around? What does Microsoft lose by allowing me to
>> > move
>> > my menus around? I just don't understand why they continually remove
>> > options from me with each successive 'upgrade'?

No, what you are being told that all questions releating to IE8 (which is
still a beta product) should be posted to an IE8 beta newsgroup.
Jim

Leonard Grey

Re: Why can't I decide where I want my Links/Favorites bar?
First: Although Microsoft employees do post here once in a blue moon, no
one in the newsgroup works for or represents Microsoft in any way. We
are your fellow users, who try to help each other out with questions
about Internet Explorer. Don't like Microsoft software? Then use
something else. Makes no difference to us.

Second: If the way an application /looks/ affects you that greatly, I
suggest you find a different hobby. You're probably going to eschew all
kinds of highly effective software because you don't like the way it
looks. You'll be happier with Barbie.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

John M. wrote:
> Hmmm. I'm much better interpreting words as an answer rather than a set of
> links, but I thank you for at least something. I assume by posting a link on
> how to uninstall IE8, I'm essentially being told that no one really cares
> about user customizations being taken away. I don't have a big monitor, so
> vertical space is important to me. IE6 and IE7 let me decide where the menu
> bars go. If Microsoft now feels this is too trivial to worry about and
> insists I view the product in a "space-inefficient' manner, maybe it's time
> to try something new.
>
> I've always used IE and have never even tried Firefox or Chrome, but
> clearly, it's time to try. I will follow your advice, uninstall, and go with
> the competitor's product. Hopefully, they more than Microsoft does.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta
>>
>> Via the web-interface:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xplorer. beta
>>
>> Via your newsreader:
>>
>> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> John M. wrote:
>>> IE7 let me combine the Links bar (now Favorites) and the File Menu bar,
>>> saving a whole bar's worth of space. IE8 won't allow it. WHY? Why do
>>> 'upgrades' continue to offer user's less flexibility? Why did I have to
>>> run
>>> a third party fix on IE7 just to have my File Menu bar at the top where
>>> it's
>>> supposed to be?
>>>
>>> Could someone PLEASE develop a script that allows me to move my Favorites
>>> bar up to the file menu so I can get some vertical space back? It would
>>> be
>>> WONDERFUL if Microsoft would just allow it.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what Microsoft gains by continually removing options that
>>> users are fond of and have grown used to? Why does every new upgrade
>>> force
>>> me to use the software in a way I don't want to until some third party
>>> develops a work around? What does Microsoft lose by allowing me to move
>>> my menus around? I just don't understand why they continually remove
>>> options from me with each successive 'upgrade'?

Re: Why can't I decide where I want my Links/Favorites bar?
What Jim and Leonard said.