Web Page Display Shrank

Ray

Web Page Display Shrank
I had to do a reset on Internet Explorer 7 (in order to solve a problem after
installing Norton Internet Security 2009). After the reset, I noticed that
some of the Web Pages stopped filling the window. For example, the bottom
frame of CNN.com used to fill the entire window, horizontally, right to left.
Now, the contents are much smaller, and leaves a couple inches on the right
and left.

This problem does not affect all websites, but some are now rendering with
considerably smaller content. I know that I can zoom the text on affected
sites, but am looking for a more permanent solution that will return the
display size of the affected websites to what they were before the reset.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Don Varnau

Re: Web Page Display Shrank
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista? I don't think this is an IE issue- it's a Windows
setting.

What's your monitor resolution setting? cnn.com appears to be about 1024
pixels wide. If your screen is set to eg. 1280 x 960, things will be small
and there will be unused space on the sides of the webpage.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had to do a reset on Internet Explorer 7 (in order to solve a problem

after
> installing Norton Internet Security 2009). After the reset, I noticed

that
> some of the Web Pages stopped filling the window. For example, the bottom
> frame of CNN.com used to fill the entire window, horizontally, right to

left.
> Now, the contents are much smaller, and leaves a couple inches on the

right
> and left.
>
> This problem does not affect all websites, but some are now rendering with
> considerably smaller content. I know that I can zoom the text on affected
> sites, but am looking for a more permanent solution that will return the
> display size of the affected websites to what they were before the reset.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Ray

Re: Web Page Display Shrank
Don,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm running XP-Professional. Screen
Resolution is 1400 X 1050. I don't think that any changes were made to the
screen resolution.

The problem occurred when I reset IE. It doesn't affect the display of all
webpages - just some.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista? I don't think this is an IE issue- it's a Windows
> setting.
>
> What's your monitor resolution setting? cnn.com appears to be about 1024
> pixels wide. If your screen is set to eg. 1280 x 960, things will be small
> and there will be unused space on the sides of the webpage.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I had to do a reset on Internet Explorer 7 (in order to solve a problem

> after
> > installing Norton Internet Security 2009). After the reset, I noticed

> that
> > some of the Web Pages stopped filling the window. For example, the bottom
> > frame of CNN.com used to fill the entire window, horizontally, right to

> left.
> > Now, the contents are much smaller, and leaves a couple inches on the

> right
> > and left.
> >
> > This problem does not affect all websites, but some are now rendering with
> > considerably smaller content. I know that I can zoom the text on affected
> > sites, but am looking for a more permanent solution that will return the
> > display size of the affected websites to what they were before the reset.
> >
> > I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Don Varnau

Re: Web Page Display Shrank
I'm not sure which IE7 setting could have changed this. IE> View> Text size
will make some webpages larger or smaller as you change text size -
yahoo.com is a good example of a webpage which changes size. This does not
happen with cnn.com unless you check "Ignore font sizes" from Internet
Options> Accessibility.

In Internet Options> Advanced> Accessibility, you might verify that all
options are unchecked.

But, cnn.com is coded to be 1024 pixels wide so I would expect it to not
fill an IE window that's wider than that.

> Don,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. I'm running XP-Professional. Screen
> Resolution is 1400 X 1050. I don't think that any changes were made to

the
> screen resolution.
>
> The problem occurred when I reset IE. It doesn't affect the display of

all
> webpages - just some.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Windows XP or Vista? I don't think this is an IE issue- it's a Windows
> > setting.
> >
> > What's your monitor resolution setting? cnn.com appears to be about 1024
> > pixels wide. If your screen is set to eg. 1280 x 960, things will be

small
> > and there will be unused space on the sides of the webpage.

> > "Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I had to do a reset on Internet Explorer 7 (in order to solve a

problem
> > after
> > > installing Norton Internet Security 2009). After the reset, I noticed

> > that
> > > some of the Web Pages stopped filling the window. For example, the

bottom
> > > frame of CNN.com used to fill the entire window, horizontally, right

> > left.
> > > Now, the contents are much smaller, and leaves a couple inches on the

> > right and left.
> > >
> > > This problem does not affect all websites, but some are now rendering

with
> > > considerably smaller content. I know that I can zoom the text on

affected
> > > sites, but am looking for a more permanent solution that will return

the
> > > display size of the affected websites to what they were before the

reset.

> > > I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

David

Re: Web Page Display Shrank
Ray - Did you ever figure out the problem? I have the exact same issue - I
did IE7 reset, first and only time, and now many pages (slate.com, NYT, etc.)
are not filling the screen, but have large white margins. If I zoom, I have
to recenter the page, because I have also "zoomed" the margins. Would like to
understand what is causing this, and I'm pretty sure it IS an IE7 issue.
Cheers, Dave