Deleting files

Dar

Deleting files
I was told to delete files from going to run then typing in temp, %temp% and
prefetch. I would like to know if this is true before I go and do it. I do
not want to ruin my computer. Can someone please Help.
someone

Re: Deleting files
You should remove all files in %temp% but need not remove the prefetch,
although it won't do you any harm. Install ccleaner and this will take care
of all the temporary files you wish.

"Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was told to delete files from going to run then typing in temp, %temp%
> and
> prefetch. I would like to know if this is true before I go and do it. I do
> not want to ruin my computer. Can someone please Help.

Re: Deleting files
Dar, you simply MUST reply to your original thread(s). We have no idea what
you're talking about when you start yet another new one. Good luck.

Threads which you've either started or posted to:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...coring=d&hl=en
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dar wrote:
> I was told to delete files from going to run then typing in temp, %temp%
> and
> prefetch. I would like to know if this is true before I go and do it. I do
> not want to ruin my computer. Can someone please Help.

Leonard Grey

Re: Deleting files
What problem are you trying to solve? Please be specific.

What versions of Windows (with service pack) and Internet Explorer do
you have?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Dar wrote:
> I was told to delete files from going to run then typing in temp, %temp% and
> prefetch. I would like to know if this is true before I go and do it. I do
> not want to ruin my computer. Can someone please Help.

Dar

Re: Deleting files
Ok I really don't know what I am doing. I don't have any probem. I got rid of
my computer and bought a knew one. So no problems yet. I was just told by
geek squad that to keep things from slowing up the computer was to do what I
asked above. So as far as threads I am computer ignorant

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Dar, you simply MUST reply to your original thread(s). We have no idea what
> you're talking about when you start yet another new one. Good luck.
>
> Threads which you've either started or posted to:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...coring=d&hl=en
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Dar wrote:
> > I was told to delete files from going to run then typing in temp, %temp%
> > and
> > prefetch. I would like to know if this is true before I go and do it. I do
> > not want to ruin my computer. Can someone please Help.

Leonard Grey

Re: Deleting files
Erasing the contents of the Temp folder has no effect on the speed of
your computer.

Erasing the pre-fetch folder will actually slow your computer, until it
gets re-built.

Go to the bookstore and buy an easy-to-understand book about your
version of Windows. You'll thank yourself every day.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Dar wrote:
> Ok I really don't know what I am doing. I don't have any probem. I got rid of
> my computer and bought a knew one. So no problems yet. I was just told by
> geek squad that to keep things from slowing up the computer was to do what I
> asked above. So as far as threads I am computer ignorant
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Dar, you simply MUST reply to your original thread(s). We have no idea what
>> you're talking about when you start yet another new one. Good luck.
>>
>> Threads which you've either started or posted to:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...coring=d&hl=en
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Dar wrote:
>>> I was told to delete files from going to run then typing in temp, %temp%
>>> and
>>> prefetch. I would like to know if this is true before I go and do it. I do
>>> not want to ruin my computer. Can someone please Help.

Re: Deleting files
1. Avoid the Geek Squad and similar like the plague! If you ever need
computer help (hardware), find a local, reputable, and independent shop.

2. See this page for some tips:
http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...r-is-slow.html

3. Always state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup, please.

No offense, but I think Leonard's given you a good piece of advice: Buy and
read a copy of Windows XP for Dummies or Windows Vista for Dummies.
--
~PA Bear

Dar wrote:
> Ok I really don't know what I am doing. I don't have any probem. I got rid
> of my computer and bought a knew one. So no problems yet. I was just told
> by
> geek squad that to keep things from slowing up the computer was to do what
> asked above. So as far as threads I am computer ignorant
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Dar, you simply MUST reply to your original thread(s). We have no idea
>> what you're talking about when you start yet another new one. Good luck.
>>
>> Threads which you've either started or posted to:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...coring=d&hl=en
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Dar wrote:
>>> I was told to delete files from going to run then typing in temp, %temp%
>>> and
>>> prefetch. I would like to know if this is true before I go and do it. I
>>> do
>>> not want to ruin my computer. Can someone please Help.

Dar

Re: Deleting files
Thank you I used to have windows xp I now have windows vista home premium SP1
System type: 64-bit operating system. So one more question when I download
anything and it asks me to choose what operating system I am using : Vista or
Vista x64 I have to download a driver because my cannon MP 500 will not work
of my new computer so cannon said I have to download a driver so it will work.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Avoid the Geek Squad and similar like the plague! If you ever need
> computer help (hardware), find a local, reputable, and independent shop.
>
> 2. See this page for some tips:
> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...r-is-slow.html
>
> 3. Always state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
> Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup, please.
>
> No offense, but I think Leonard's given you a good piece of advice: Buy and
> read a copy of Windows XP for Dummies or Windows Vista for Dummies.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Dar wrote:
> > Ok I really don't know what I am doing. I don't have any probem. I got rid
> > of my computer and bought a knew one. So no problems yet. I was just told
> > by
> > geek squad that to keep things from slowing up the computer was to do what
> > asked above. So as far as threads I am computer ignorant
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Dar, you simply MUST reply to your original thread(s). We have no idea
> >> what you're talking about when you start yet another new one. Good luck.
> >>
> >> Threads which you've either started or posted to:
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...coring=d&hl=en
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Deleting files
I suspect you'll want the x64 version but that is a question you need to ask
(repost) in a different newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan

Click on this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...i nt_fax_scan

Other Vista-specific newsgroups include:

microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unts_passwords
microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_vide o
microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
--
~PA Bear

Dar wrote:
> Thank you I used to have windows xp I now have windows vista home premium
> SP1 System type: 64-bit operating system. So one more question when I
> download anything and it asks me to choose what operating system I am
> using,
> Vista or Vista x64 I have to download a driver because my cannon MP 500
> will not work of my new computer so cannon said I have to download a
> driver
> so it will work.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 1. Avoid the Geek Squad and similar like the plague! If you ever need
>> computer help (hardware), find a local, reputable, and independent shop.
>>
>> 2. See this page for some tips:
>> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...r-is-slow.html
>>
>> 3. Always state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP
>> SP3;
>> Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup, please.
>>
>> No offense, but I think Leonard's given you a good piece of advice: Buy
>> and
>> read a copy of Windows XP for Dummies or Windows Vista for Dummies.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Dar wrote:
>>> Ok I really don't know what I am doing. I don't have any probem. I got
>>> rid
>>> of my computer and bought a knew one. So no problems yet. I was just
>>> told
>>> by
>>> geek squad that to keep things from slowing up the computer was to do
>>> what
>>> asked above. So as far as threads I am computer ignorant

Dar

Re: Deleting files

Thanks I will do that. And I will go out and buy a copy of windows for
dummies.