request for unknown username and password

Danny

request for unknown username and password
When I attempt to access a business website, which I've used for years, on my
primary computer I've suddenly started to receive a popup window titled,
"Connect to efile.prosystemfx.com." The window reads, "The server
efile.prosystemfx.com at localhost requires a username and password," and
there are fields to enter and save "Username" and "Password". No matter what
I enter (or don't enter) in these fields, I can't get through to the website.
I've never seen this popup window before a few days ago.
Technical support at ProSystem fx informs me that this is a Microsoft
window, and they have no idea what username and password it is requesting.
I can access this website on other computers without the popup window
appearing, but not on my primary computer.
Where does this window come from, and (more importantly) how can I make it
go away? Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Re: request for unknown username and password
Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.

Have you ever been able to access the "business website" on the primary
computer?

Is http://tax.cchgroup.com/ a familiar URL? Is that who you contacted for
Support? Is that where you're prompted to log-in?

Or perhaps this page? => http://tax.cchgroup.com/subscriberlogin.htm

Or perhaps this page? =>
https://prosystemfxsupport.tax.cchgr...ticate-adv.asp

Have you Allowed cookies for cchgroup.com and/or prosystemfx.com domains?

> I can access this website on other computers without the popup window
> appearing, but not on my primary computer.

What (security) applications are installed on the primary computer that are
not installed on the others?

Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the primary
it)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
> Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup. Internet Explorer 7, Version 7.0.5730.11; Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.
>
> Have you ever been able to access the "business website" on the primary
> computer? Yes, daily for several years until a few days ago.
>
> Is http://tax.cchgroup.com/ a familiar URL? Is that who you contacted for
> Support? Is that where you're prompted to log-in? Yes, it's a familiar URL; I contacted CCH ProSystem fx support by telephone [(800)739-9998]; for this particular application I log in at http://efile.prosystemfx.com.
>
> Or perhaps this page? => http://tax.cchgroup.com/subscriberlogin.htm This website is familiar; I can reach this page and enter my CCH username and password (and have them accepted) without encountering the popup window.
>
> Or perhaps this page? =>
> https://prosystemfxsupport.tax.cchgr...ticate-adv.asp I don't recognize this URL.
>
> Have you Allowed cookies for cchgroup.com and/or prosystemfx.com domains? I have not blocked cookies.
>
> > I can access this website on other computers without the popup window
> > appearing, but not on my primary computer.

> What (security) applications are installed on the primary computer that are
> not installed on the others? None.
>
> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the primary
> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)? Norton Internet Security, Version 15.5.0.23 is installed both on the primary computer and on another computer without this issue, and has been since before this issue arose.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Danny wrote:
> > When I attempt to access a business website, which I've used for years, on
> > my primary computer I've suddenly started to receive a popup window
> > titled,
> > "Connect to efile.prosystemfx.com." The window reads, "The server
> > efile.prosystemfx.com at localhost requires a username and password," and
> > there are fields to enter and save "Username" and "Password". No matter
> > what I enter (or don't enter) in these fields, I can't get through to the
> > website. I've never seen this popup window before a few days ago.
> > Technical support at ProSystem fx informs me that this is a Microsoft
> > window, and they have no idea what username and password it is requesting.
> > I can access this website on other computers without the popup window
> > appearing, but not on my primary computer.
> > Where does this window come from, and (more importantly) how can I make it
> > go away? Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Re: request for unknown username and password
I can't make sense of your replies when you post them inline that way,
Danny. Sorry.

Danny wrote:
> [...]

>>> efile.prosystemfx.com at localhost requires a username and password,"
>>> and
>>> there are fields to enter and save "Username" and "Password". No matter
>>> what I enter (or don't enter) in these fields, I can't get through to
>>> the
>>> website. I've never seen this popup window before a few days ago.
>>> Technical support at ProSystem fx informs me that this is a Microsoft
>>> window, and they have no idea what username and password it is
>>> requesting.
>>> I can access this website on other computers without the popup window
>>> appearing, but not on my primary computer.
>>> Where does this window come from, and (more importantly) how can I make
>>> it
>>> go away? Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Danny

Re: request for unknown username and password
Sorry. I was trying to make the replies correspond to your questions. I
didn't see any formatting rules. Is this any better?

I have Internet Explorer 7, Version 7.0.5730.11 and Windows XP Professional,
Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

I've been able to access the "business website" on my primary computer daily
for several years until a few days ago.

http://tax.cchgroup.com/ is a familiar URL. I contacted CCH ProSystem fx
support by telephone [(800)739-9998]. For this particular application I log
in at http://efile.prosystemfx.com.

http://tax.cchgroup.com/subscriberlogin.htm is familiar. I got the same
popup window when I tried to access it just now.

I don't recognize
https://prosystemfxsupport.tax.cchgr...ticate-adv.asp. I
got the same popup window when I tried to access it just now.

I have not blocked cookies.

There are no security applications installed on my primary computer that are
not installed on my other computers.

Norton Internet Security, Version 15.5.0.23 is installed both on the primary
computer and on another computer without this issue, and has been since
before this issue arose. I tried using the "msconfig" utility to disable all
my startup applications, but that did not solve this issue.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I can't make sense of your replies when you post them inline that way,
> Danny. Sorry.
>
> Danny wrote:
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
> >> Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup. Internet Explorer 7, Version
> >> 7.0.5730.11; Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.
> >>
> >> Have you ever been able to access the "business website" on the primary
> >> computer? Yes, daily for several years until a few days ago.
> >>
> >> Is http://tax.cchgroup.com/ a familiar URL? Is that who you contacted
> >> for
> >> Support? Is that where you're prompted to log-in? Yes, it's a familiar
> >> URL; I contacted CCH ProSystem fx support by telephone [(800)739-9998];
> >> for this particular application I log in at http://efile.prosystemfx.com.
> >>
> >> Or perhaps this page? => http://tax.cchgroup.com/subscriberlogin.htm
> >> This
> >> website is familiar; I can reach this page and enter my CCH username and
> >> password (and have them accepted) without encountering the popup window.
> >>
> >> Or perhaps this page? =>
> >> https://prosystemfxsupport.tax.cchgr...ticate-adv.asp
> >> don't recognize this URL.
> >>
> >> Have you Allowed cookies for cchgroup.com and/or prosystemfx.com domains?
> >> I have not blocked cookies.

> >> What (security) applications are installed on the primary computer that
> >> are
> >> not installed on the others? None.
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the primary
> >> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)? Norton Internet Security, Version 15.5.0.23 is installed both on
> >> the
> >> primary computer and on another computer without this issue, and has been
> >> since before this issue arose. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: request for unknown username and password
Thank you, much better!

In order:

1. Not blocking cookies and allowing cookies isn't necessarily the same
thing. If you've not done so already, open IE Tools | Internet Options |
Privacy | Sites (button): Type

cchgroup.com [and]

prosystemfx.com

in the box then click on the ALLOW button for each domain, in turn. Now
test.

2a. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

2b. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

2c. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

3. If the other computers in your home or workplace connect via a different
modem or router (or if the primary computer connects wirelessly), see if the
behavior persists when you connect the primary to one of the other modems or
routers.

Other questions which might help me help you:

Did you upgrade to your current NIS version (NIS 2008, I believe) from an
earlier version of a Norton application (e.g., NIS 2005; NAV 2007; N360
2007)?

Was a Norton or McAfee free-trial installed on the machine when you
purchased it?
--
~PA Bear

Danny wrote:
> Sorry. I was trying to make the replies correspond to your questions. I
> didn't see any formatting rules. Is this any better?
>
> I have Internet Explorer 7, Version 7.0.5730.11 and Windows XP
> Professional,
> Version 2002, Service Pack 3.
>
> I've been able to access the "business website" on my primary computer
> daily
> for several years until a few days ago.
>
> http://tax.cchgroup.com/ is a familiar URL. I contacted CCH ProSystem fx
> support by telephone [(800)739-9998]. For this particular application I
> log
> in at http://efile.prosystemfx.com.
>
> http://tax.cchgroup.com/subscriberlogin.htm is familiar. I got the same
> popup window when I tried to access it just now.
>
> I don't recognize
> https://prosystemfxsupport.tax.cchgr...ticate-adv.asp.
> got the same popup window when I tried to access it just now.
>
> I have not blocked cookies.
>
> There are no security applications installed on my primary computer that
> are
> not installed on my other computers.
>
> Norton Internet Security, Version 15.5.0.23 is installed both on the
> primary
> computer and on another computer without this issue, and has been since
> before this issue arose. I tried using the "msconfig" utility to disable
> all my startup applications, but that did not solve this issue.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> I can't make sense of your replies when you post them inline that way,
>> Danny. Sorry.

<EDIT>