Upgrade to IE7 - Filetype assosiations problem?

steinih

Upgrade to IE7 - Filetype assosiations problem?
Hi

I have som problems with IE7 after upgrading from IE6sp1 on a win2003
terminalserver farm. I have used policy to set the settings i want, and all
seems fine, but .irl extentions doesnt work. No users open shordcuts (urls)
that resides for instance on the start meny.

I have found a wourkaround but im not sure why it works. If i push the make
IE default browser under internet options, then it works for all users. I do
have a lot of servers so i realy dont want to do this on all servers

Can anyone help me out? Appreciate it

/steinih

Re: Upgrade to IE7 - Filetype assosiations problem?
IE7 expects to be the default browser in WinXP and Win2003. I'd advise you
to "make it so."

steinih wrote:
> I have som problems with IE7 after upgrading from IE6sp1 on a win2003
> terminalserver farm. I have used policy to set the settings i want, and
> all
> seems fine, but .irl extentions doesnt work. No users open shordcuts
> (urls)
> that resides for instance on the start meny.
>
> I have found a wourkaround but im not sure why it works. If i push the
> make
> IE default browser under internet options, then it works for all users. I
> do
> have a lot of servers so i realy dont want to do this on all servers
>
> Can anyone help me out? Appreciate it
>
> /steinih

steinih

Re: Upgrade to IE7 - Filetype assosiations problem?
Hi

OKey. IE7 is the default browser as far as i know. I upgraded from IE6 SP1
(which was default browser too), so i thought IE7 would become default
browser too.

But the error message i get when trying to open a shortcut is "There is no
application assosiated with this file" (or something like that), i think it a
bit strange that making IE7 the default browser should solve that.

But if thats the case: Is there an easy way to set IE7 as default brower
without dooing it the manual way? Can it be done for all users though policy
og regkey? I've tryed to search it, but the manual presidure.

/stennih

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IE7 expects to be the default browser in WinXP and Win2003. I'd advise you
> to "make it so."
>
> steinih wrote:
> > I have som problems with IE7 after upgrading from IE6sp1 on a win2003
> > terminalserver farm. I have used policy to set the settings i want, and
> > all
> > seems fine, but .irl extentions doesnt work. No users open shordcuts
> > (urls)
> > that resides for instance on the start meny.
> >
> > I have found a wourkaround but im not sure why it works. If i push the
> > make
> > IE default browser under internet options, then it works for all users. I
> > do
> > have a lot of servers so i realy dont want to do this on all servers
> >
> > Can anyone help me out? Appreciate it
> >
> > /steinih

Re: Upgrade to IE7 - Filetype assosiations problem?
1. [Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | ] Set Program Access and Defaults
| Configuration that's already checked | Browser: Select "Internet Explorer"
here.

1b. Now check your settings here: IE Tools | Internet Options | Programs |
Default web browser.

If no joy, see:

2a. http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx

2b. Hyperlinks do not work in Outlook Express after you upgrade to Internet
Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929867

IGNORE the references to OE above!

steinih wrote:
> OKey. IE7 is the default browser as far as i know. I upgraded from IE6 SP1
> (which was default browser too), so i thought IE7 would become default
> browser too.
>
> But the error message i get when trying to open a shortcut is "There is no
> application assosiated with this file" (or something like that), i think
> it
> a bit strange that making IE7 the default browser should solve that.
>
> But if thats the case: Is there an easy way to set IE7 as default brower
> without dooing it the manual way? Can it be done for all users though
> policy
> og regkey? I've tryed to search it, but the manual presidure.
>
> /stennih
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> IE7 expects to be the default browser in WinXP and Win2003. I'd advise
>> you
>> to "make it so."
>>
>> steinih wrote:
>>> I have som problems with IE7 after upgrading from IE6sp1 on a win2003
>>> terminalserver farm. I have used policy to set the settings i want, and
>>> all
>>> seems fine, but .irl extentions doesnt work. No users open shordcuts
>>> (urls)
>>> that resides for instance on the start meny.
>>>
>>> I have found a wourkaround but im not sure why it works. If i push the
>>> make
>>> IE default browser under internet options, then it works for all users.
>>> do
>>> have a lot of servers so i realy dont want to do this on all servers
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me out? Appreciate it
>>>
>>> /steinih

steinih

Re: Upgrade to IE7 - Filetype assosiations problem?
ok

Im not sure whitch extention im suposed to check. Im looking at Extention:
HTML, Filetype: URL: Hypertext Transfer Protocol. If i go to advanced and
"open" and i klick edit, nothing happends. So i cant chech the settings for
the open action.

But as i said, klicking the "make IE default browser button in IE seems to
solve the problem. Is there an easy way to set IE as default browser without
dooing it the manual way?

/steinih