remove IE 7 64 bit

Ron Carruthers

remove IE 7 64 bit
Is it possible to remove or disable the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer 7
in Windows XP Pro 64 bit?

A customer complains that many of the functions of website cnbc.com cause
problems in the 64 bit browser, but work fine in the 32 bit version.

There does not appear to be a way to choose the 32 bit version as default in
XP 64 bit.

Thanks
swarfega

Re: remove IE 7 64 bit
You can set the 32-bit version as the default browser and just tell him to
ignore the 64-bit version. Until adobe release a 64-bit flash player, its
not worth using it.

Open the 32-bit version of IE then go to Tools > Options then click on the
Programs tab and the make default button.

"Ron Carruthers" <RonCarruthers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to remove or disable the 64 bit version of Internet
> Explorer 7
> in Windows XP Pro 64 bit?
>
> A customer complains that many of the functions of website cnbc.com cause
> problems in the 64 bit browser, but work fine in the 32 bit version.
>
> There does not appear to be a way to choose the 32 bit version as default
> in
> XP 64 bit.
>
> Thanks

> signature database 3917 (20090307) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3917 (20090307) __________

http://www.eset.com

Ron Carruthers

Re: remove IE 7 64 bit
It was already set default.

I have renamed the executable for the 64 bit version, so it should no longer
start, I hope.

Thanks for your confirmation on the flash player. It did seem to be causing
the problem. I wonder if IE in Vista 64 bit, has the same problem.

"swarfega" wrote:

> You can set the 32-bit version as the default browser and just tell him to
> ignore the 64-bit version. Until adobe release a 64-bit flash player, its
> not worth using it.
>
> Open the 32-bit version of IE then go to Tools > Options then click on the
> Programs tab and the make default button.
>
> "Ron Carruthers" <RonCarruthers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to remove or disable the 64 bit version of Internet
> > Explorer 7
> > in Windows XP Pro 64 bit?
> >
> > A customer complains that many of the functions of website cnbc.com cause
> > problems in the 64 bit browser, but work fine in the 32 bit version.
> >
> > There does not appear to be a way to choose the 32 bit version as default
> > in
> > XP 64 bit.
> >
> > Thanks

> > signature database 3917 (20090307) __________

> > http://www.eset.com
> >

> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3917 (20090307) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Jimmy Ward

RE: remove IE 7 64 bit
This is an absolute mess. Not being able to run Adobe Flash on a 64-bit
browser. There has got to be a solution and Microsoft and Adobe have missed
BIG time on this from a customer experience perspective.

"Ron Carruthers" wrote:

> Is it possible to remove or disable the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer 7
> in Windows XP Pro 64 bit?
>
> A customer complains that many of the functions of website cnbc.com cause
> problems in the 64 bit browser, but work fine in the 32 bit version.
>
> There does not appear to be a way to choose the 32 bit version as default in
> XP 64 bit.
>
> Thanks

Donald Anadell

Re: remove IE 7 64 bit

"Jimmy Ward" <Jimmy Ward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> This is an absolute mess.

If it's any consolation to you, a lot of people feel your pain.

> Not being able to run Adobe Flash on a 64-bit
> browser. There has got to be a solution and Microsoft and Adobe have
> missed
> BIG time on this from a customer experience perspective.

Microsoft has done what it can to sooths the "customer experience
perspective" by shipping the 32 bit browser that does support the the
current Adobe Flash Player.

As for Adobe(after all it's their software), they contend that they will
offer a 64 bit compatible Flash Player in the next major release, see:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...10FAQ_64-bit01

Good luck,

Donald Anadell