Thumbnails

Fredbear

Thumbnails
When displaying thumbnails of JPEG files stored on CD, the thumbnail is
overlaid by the Internet Explorer icon so that the bottom left corner of the
thumbnail is hidden. This happens when reading from drive D (CD R/W) but not
drive E (CD & DVD R/W) or the hard disc. Is there a way to prevent the icon
showing?

Re: Thumbnails
Although it's an IE icon, it's a Windows problem, Fred. Assuming WinXP,
post here instead: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

Fredbear wrote:
> When displaying thumbnails of JPEG files stored on CD, the thumbnail is
> overlaid by the Internet Explorer icon so that the bottom left corner of
> the
> thumbnail is hidden. This happens when reading from drive D (CD R/W) but
> not
> drive E (CD & DVD R/W) or the hard disc. Is there a way to prevent the
> icon
> showing?

Fredbear

Re: Thumbnails

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Although it's an IE icon, it's a Windows problem, Fred. Assuming WinXP,
> post here instead: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.
>
> Fredbear wrote:
> > When displaying thumbnails of JPEG files stored on CD, the thumbnail is
> > overlaid by the Internet Explorer icon so that the bottom left corner of
> > the
> > thumbnail is hidden. This happens when reading from drive D (CD R/W) but
> > not
> > drive E (CD & DVD R/W) or the hard disc. Is there a way to prevent the
> > icon
> > showing?

Don Varnau

Re: Thumbnails

Hi,
Follow the procedure in this article to reset the icon cache.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926715

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Fredbear" <Fredbear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Although it's an IE icon, it's a Windows problem, Fred. Assuming WinXP,
> > post here instead: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

> > Fredbear wrote:
> > > When displaying thumbnails of JPEG files stored on CD, the thumbnail

is
> > > overlaid by the Internet Explorer icon so that the bottom left corner

of
> > > the
> > > thumbnail is hidden. This happens when reading from drive D (CD R/W)

but
> > > not
> > > drive E (CD & DVD R/W) or the hard disc. Is there a way to prevent the
> > > icon showing?

Fredbear

Re: Thumbnails

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Follow the procedure in this article to reset the icon cache.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926715
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Fredbear" <Fredbear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Although it's an IE icon, it's a Windows problem, Fred. Assuming WinXP,
> > > post here instead: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

> is

> of

> but

I have followed the suggestion put forward by Don

"Follow the procedure in this article to reset the icon cache.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926715"

This removes the unwanted icons, but only until I reboot the computer. They
then reappear, but only when looking at JPEGs stored on drive D.

Fredbear
Don Varnau

Re: Thumbnails
I wish that had worked. It was my #1 idea. ;-)

What program opens JPGs by default? Check that at Control Panel> Folder
Options> File Types> JPG> Advanced.

Do you have CD/DVD burner software loading at startup?

> I have followed the suggestion put forward by Don
>
> "Follow the procedure in this article to reset the icon cache.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926715"
>
> This removes the unwanted icons, but only until I reboot the computer.

They
> then reappear, but only when looking at JPEGs stored on drive D.
>
> Fredbear

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Follow the procedure in this article to reset the icon cache.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> > "Fredbear" <Fredbear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

WinXP,

thumbnail
> > is

corner
> > of the

R/W)
> > but not

the

Fredbear

Re: Thumbnails
First chance to respond.
Default program is Windows Picture and Fax viewer. No problems in opening
the file.
When reading drive "D", as well as putting the explorer icon on the
thumbnails view, it uses the "unidentified file type" icon in the icons view
and the explorer icon in the Tiles view. Any other source is displayed
correctly

After resetting the cache as you suggest, all three display errors are
corrected until I reboot.