Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Need Help. problem connecting to some sites, other sites very slow

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2009
richquick
 

Posts: n/a
Need Help. problem connecting to some sites, other sites very slow
I use IE7 going through a router to the internet. About 1 week ago IE was
not opening some websites at all and others would take a very long time to
open (more than a minute).

I hooked up my computer directly to my cable modem and everyhting worked
great. When I go through the router I have my problem .

There is one other computer that is wired to the router and they work fine.
I have 2 laptops that connect to the internet with WIFI through the router
and they don't have a problem. Only my computer that is running XP Pro SP3.

I have looked at all settings and I can't see anything wrong.

Before I reload windows XP or install Vista in hopes that the problme would
go away I am looking for some help from the community
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2009
Jim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need Help. problem connecting to some sites, other sites very slow

"richquick" <richquick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:52DC5FCF-19EF-496E-9B43-DDC34D6F0C73@microsoft.com...
>I use IE7 going through a router to the internet. About 1 week ago IE was
> not opening some websites at all and others would take a very long time to
> open (more than a minute).
>
> I hooked up my computer directly to my cable modem and everyhting worked
> great. When I go through the router I have my problem .
>
> There is one other computer that is wired to the router and they work
> fine.
> I have 2 laptops that connect to the internet with WIFI through the router
> and they don't have a problem. Only my computer that is running XP Pro
> SP3.
>
> I have looked at all settings and I can't see anything wrong.
>
> Before I reload windows XP or install Vista in hopes that the problme
> would
> go away I am looking for some help from the community

You should list the settings for both of the wired computers. It would be a
good idea to list the settings for the wireless ones as well.
If we don't have these settings, we are flying blind.

And, are you running IE7 with addons?

Jim


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2009
Leonard Grey
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need Help. problem connecting to some sites, other sites veryslow
If computers "A" "B" and "C" are all attached to the router by a
wireless connection, and only computer "A" has slow browsing: If
clearing TIF on computer "A" does not restore web browsing to its
typical speed there are many possible causes, among them:

1- Computer "A" has been hacked.
2- Software installed on Computer "A" - typically some flavor of
security software - is interfering.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

richquick wrote:
> I use IE7 going through a router to the internet. About 1 week ago IE was
> not opening some websites at all and others would take a very long time to
> open (more than a minute).
>
> I hooked up my computer directly to my cable modem and everyhting worked
> great. When I go through the router I have my problem .
>
> There is one other computer that is wired to the router and they work fine.
> I have 2 laptops that connect to the internet with WIFI through the router
> and they don't have a problem. Only my computer that is running XP Pro SP3.
>
> I have looked at all settings and I can't see anything wrong.
>
> Before I reload windows XP or install Vista in hopes that the problme would
> go away I am looking for some help from the community

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2009
richquick
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need Help. problem connecting to some sites, other sites very
Please let me know which settings do you need to know about?

I have one LAN connection that is set to find the the IP address
automatically. The IP address is 192.168.0.1. When I try and go to my router
set up, the main screen opens and then when I try to view the carious
settings and opitons it freezes.

I am not running IE7 with addons

"Jim" wrote:

>
> "richquick" <richquick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:52DC5FCF-19EF-496E-9B43-DDC34D6F0C73@microsoft.com...
> >I use IE7 going through a router to the internet. About 1 week ago IE was
> > not opening some websites at all and others would take a very long time to
> > open (more than a minute).
> >
> > I hooked up my computer directly to my cable modem and everyhting worked
> > great. When I go through the router I have my problem .
> >
> > There is one other computer that is wired to the router and they work
> > fine.
> > I have 2 laptops that connect to the internet with WIFI through the router
> > and they don't have a problem. Only my computer that is running XP Pro
> > SP3.
> >
> > I have looked at all settings and I can't see anything wrong.
> >
> > Before I reload windows XP or install Vista in hopes that the problme
> > would
> > go away I am looking for some help from the community

> You should list the settings for both of the wired computers. It would be a
> good idea to list the settings for the wireless ones as well.
> If we don't have these settings, we are flying blind.
>
> And, are you running IE7 with addons?
>
> Jim
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2009
richquick
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need Help. problem connecting to some sites, other sites very
Computer A & B are coneected via ethernet. Computer C&D are wireless. B, C,
& D connect and surf with no problems. Computer A has no problems surfing
the internet when it is connected directly to the modem. Computer has an
obvious problem when it is connected to the router. I changed the ethernet
cable. I think it has to do with the configuration of the LAN connection
properties and some conflict with the router.

I have tried many combinations of things to change the LAN connectin
proerties but nothing is working. Is there any way to delete the the LAN
connection and create a new one?

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> If computers "A" "B" and "C" are all attached to the router by a
> wireless connection, and only computer "A" has slow browsing: If
> clearing TIF on computer "A" does not restore web browsing to its
> typical speed there are many possible causes, among them:
>
> 1- Computer "A" has been hacked.
> 2- Software installed on Computer "A" - typically some flavor of
> security software - is interfering.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> richquick wrote:
> > I use IE7 going through a router to the internet. About 1 week ago IE was
> > not opening some websites at all and others would take a very long time to
> > open (more than a minute).
> >
> > I hooked up my computer directly to my cable modem and everyhting worked
> > great. When I go through the router I have my problem .
> >
> > There is one other computer that is wired to the router and they work fine.
> > I have 2 laptops that connect to the internet with WIFI through the router
> > and they don't have a problem. Only my computer that is running XP Pro SP3.
> >
> > I have looked at all settings and I can't see anything wrong.
> >
> > Before I reload windows XP or install Vista in hopes that the problme would
> > go away I am looking for some help from the community

>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2009
Jim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need Help. problem connecting to some sites, other sites very
The ones reported by ipconfig/all. It would be helpful to create this list
on all of your computers.
Is the address of therouter at 192.168.0.1?
Can you get to the router from any of the other computers?
If you shutdown the other computers, can you then get to the router from the
problem computer?
It could be that the there is an ip address conflict in your LAN.
Jim
"richquick" <richquick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:96AD2D2D-81C8-4F6A-A370-28A75BF41240@microsoft.com...
> Please let me know which settings do you need to know about?
>
> I have one LAN connection that is set to find the the IP address
> automatically. The IP address is 192.168.0.1. When I try and go to my
> router
> set up, the main screen opens and then when I try to view the carious
> settings and opitons it freezes.
>
> I am not running IE7 with addons
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>
>>
>> "richquick" <richquick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:52DC5FCF-19EF-496E-9B43-DDC34D6F0C73@microsoft.com...
>> >I use IE7 going through a router to the internet. About 1 week ago IE
>> >was
>> > not opening some websites at all and others would take a very long time
>> > to
>> > open (more than a minute).
>> >
>> > I hooked up my computer directly to my cable modem and everyhting
>> > worked
>> > great. When I go through the router I have my problem .
>> >
>> > There is one other computer that is wired to the router and they work
>> > fine.
>> > I have 2 laptops that connect to the internet with WIFI through the
>> > router
>> > and they don't have a problem. Only my computer that is running XP Pro
>> > SP3.
>> >
>> > I have looked at all settings and I can't see anything wrong.
>> >
>> > Before I reload windows XP or install Vista in hopes that the problme
>> > would
>> > go away I am looking for some help from the community

>> You should list the settings for both of the wired computers. It would
>> be a
>> good idea to list the settings for the wireless ones as well.
>> If we don't have these settings, we are flying blind.
>>
>> And, are you running IE7 with addons?
>>
>> Jim
>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2009
Daniel Crichton
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need Help. problem connecting to some sites, other sites very
Recreating the LAN connection is unlikely to fix anything unless you had
previously adjusted settings specific to your network card.

Have you at any time in the past on this PC adjusted any settings related to
MTU or Checksum Offload? Both of these are often cited as ways of improving
performance, but with the wrong settings can actually cause more problems.

Disabling Checksum Offload is worth a try if you haven't already done so
(not all network chipsets have this, but on the few PCs I've had the
experience of tinkering with turning this off was a vast improvement with
connection stability). What this setting does is to use the network chipset
hardware to calculate packet checksums, and some of these chipsets actually
get the calcs wrong forcing the network layer to have to retry repeatedly
until packets can be sent correctly.

For MTU you would need to ensure that your MTU setting is reverted to the
Windows default or set to a value matching the router - it's possible that
this may have been adjusted to match the modem so it performs fine when
corrected directly, but the router may have a different setting and while it
can negotiate changes to this to send to the router having your PC send in
mismatched packet sizes could be causing the router to ignore those packets
or respond in a way to get your network driver to adjust it's size, and if
the driver is buggy this might well be happening on every packet instead of
the first ones to be sent to the router.

Dan

richquick wrote on Sun, 8 Mar 2009 15:13:01 -0700:

> Computer A & B are coneected via ethernet. Computer C&D are wireless.
> B, C, & D connect and surf with no problems. Computer A has no
> problems surfing the internet when it is connected directly to the
> modem. Computer has an obvious problem when it is connected to the
> router. I changed the ethernet cable. I think it has to do with the
> configuration of the LAN connection properties and some conflict with
> the router.


> I have tried many combinations of things to change the LAN connectin
> proerties but nothing is working. Is there any way to delete the the
> LAN connection and create a new one?


> "Leonard Grey" wrote:


>> If computers "A" "B" and "C" are all attached to the router by a
>> wireless connection, and only computer "A" has slow browsing: If
>> clearing TIF on computer "A" does not restore web browsing to its
>> typical speed there are many possible causes, among them:


>> 1- Computer "A" has been hacked.
>> 2- Software installed on Computer "A" - typically some flavor of
>> security software - is interfering.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est


>> richquick wrote:
>>> I use IE7 going through a router to the internet. About 1 week ago
>>> IE was not opening some websites at all and others would take a
>>> very long time to open (more than a minute).


>>> I hooked up my computer directly to my cable modem and everyhting
>>> worked great. When I go through the router I have my problem .


>>> There is one other computer that is wired to the router and they
>>> work fine.
>>> I have 2 laptops that connect to the internet with WIFI through the
>>> router and they don't have a problem. Only my computer that is
>>> running XP Pro SP3.


>>> I have looked at all settings and I can't see anything wrong.


>>> Before I reload windows XP or install Vista in hopes that the
>>> problme would go away I am looking for some help from the community



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2009
Jeff▲Relf
 

Posts: n/a
Use System Restore to get rid of SP3 ?
Did*the “ XP Pro SP3 ” computer stop working after
you installed SP3 ? If so, do a System Restore to get rid of it.

Recently, my modem disappeared after intalling Vista-32 SP1
because, for some unKnown reason, I don't have privileges to run
the “ Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol ” service.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Use System Restore to get rid of SP3 ?
Go away, please.

Jeffâ–²Relf wrote:
> Did the “ XP Pro SP3 ” computer stop working after
> you installed SP3 ? If so, do a System Restore to get rid of it.
>
> Recently, my modem disappeared after intalling Vista-32 SP1
> because, for some unKnown reason, I don't have privileges to run
> the “ Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol ” service.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista + connecting to certain sites + Live messenger = problem Vid microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 11-05-2007 18:59
Vista + connecting to certain sites + Live messenger = problem Vid microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 0 11-05-2007 18:03
Vista + connecting to certain sites + Live messenger = problem Vid microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 11-05-2007 18:02
Vista + connecting to certain sites + Live messenger = problem Vid microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 11-05-2007 18:01
Not connecting to web sites quintain microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 5 04-02-2007 14:01




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:28.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120