difficulty accessing some links

demosthenes

difficulty accessing some links
I run Winxp Home edition, Internet explorer7. Many times when I try to access
a link it is difficult to do so, and I would do control>alter>delelte, and
click on the X to close control/alter/delete and then the link would come up.
Even so, sometimes the link would appear at the bottom on the screen (by the
clock..) and I would click there and it comes up. At the same time, many
times I find it difficult to close a window by clicking on the X and I would
also have to resort to using ctrl/alt/del.

This is a bit strange because sometimes when I am on certain sites, I don't
have these problems at all! That is why I doubt that the mouse is at fault.
Help with this problem would be much appreciated. Many thanks,

demosthenes
Don Varnau

Re: difficulty accessing some links
Hi,
First... With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such
as passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons,
work through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

If the previous procedures didn't resolve the issue, you may have at least
one malicious program (malware) installed and running.

1. Scan with Windows Defender.

2. Run the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
This is not a wide-spectrum tool, but is worth running.

3. Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

4. If there is *any* reason to suspect that these tools didn't remove all
malware, visit one of these sites, register and follow the protocol.

Aumha:
http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
Start at http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

SpywareHammer:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&boa rd=10.0
Read:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=87.0
then
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=88.0

Bleeping Computer:

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"demosthenes" <demosthenes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I run Winxp Home edition, Internet explorer7. Many times when I try to

access
> a link it is difficult to do so, and I would do control>alter>delelte, and
> click on the X to close control/alter/delete and then the link would come

up.
> Even so, sometimes the link would appear at the bottom on the screen (by

the
> clock..) and I would click there and it comes up. At the same time, many
> times I find it difficult to close a window by clicking on the X and I

would
> also have to resort to using ctrl/alt/del.
>
> This is a bit strange because sometimes when I am on certain sites, I

don't
> have these problems at all! That is why I doubt that the mouse is at

fault.
> Help with this problem would be much appreciated. Many thanks,
>
> demosthenes

demosthenes

RE: difficulty accessing some links
Thanks a lot Don. I am not absolutely sure the problem has been completely
solved yet but I see some improvements after running the One Care scan. No
viruses were found but it cleared out 150 items out of the Registry that
should not have been there. I will check out some of the other steps you have
mentioned and advise. Thanks again.
--
demosthenes