IE 7 and websites remembering my data

K_Drive

IE 7 and websites remembering my data
Hello.

My question is about websites remembering my data.
Here are the two I am wondering about:

1. Fantastic Contraption
http://fantasticcontraption.com/

2. SmallWorlds
http://www.smallworlds.com/

1. The first website is a game where you building "contraptions" to solve
certain situations of moving one object to a goal area. There are many levels
to try, and the website puts a checkmark on the levels you complete on the
levels listings page. It also has an option to sign in/sign out.

2. The second website has a "Remember Me" checkbox on the login page.

I visit these websites, then I delete my browser's history by going to (IE
7.0) Tools Menu - Delete Browsing History - Delete All, and I checked the
"Files and Settings saved by Add ons" checkbox. I wait until the process has
finished before doing anything else.
Then, I close and open my browser.
I disconnect/reconnect to the WifFi Internet connection I am using.
I have even shut down and restarted my computer.

1. The first website still has the checkboxes next to the levels I have
completed.
The first website still has me logged in.

2. The second website still has my email address and password (with
asterisks) on the Sign In window.

Why isn't my entered data deleted on these websites?
I think they use Flash to create their websites. But, how are they
remembering me after I delete my history, close my browser, disconnect from
the network and turn off my computer?
There has to be some data being stored on my computer or the websites are
somehow recognizing my computer.

This bothers me.

Ken

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 and websites remembering my data
Today's 'history' is not history until tomorrow.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

K_Drive wrote:
> Hello.
>
> My question is about websites remembering my data.
> Here are the two I am wondering about:
>
> 1. Fantastic Contraption
> http://fantasticcontraption.com/
>
> 2. SmallWorlds
> http://www.smallworlds.com/
>
> 1. The first website is a game where you building "contraptions" to solve
> certain situations of moving one object to a goal area. There are many levels
> to try, and the website puts a checkmark on the levels you complete on the
> levels listings page. It also has an option to sign in/sign out.
>
> 2. The second website has a "Remember Me" checkbox on the login page.
>
> I visit these websites, then I delete my browser's history by going to (IE
> 7.0) Tools Menu - Delete Browsing History - Delete All, and I checked the
> "Files and Settings saved by Add ons" checkbox. I wait until the process has
> finished before doing anything else.
> Then, I close and open my browser.
> I disconnect/reconnect to the WifFi Internet connection I am using.
> I have even shut down and restarted my computer.
>
> 1. The first website still has the checkboxes next to the levels I have
> completed.
> The first website still has me logged in.
>
> 2. The second website still has my email address and password (with
> asterisks) on the Sign In window.
>
> Why isn't my entered data deleted on these websites?
> I think they use Flash to create their websites. But, how are they
> remembering me after I delete my history, close my browser, disconnect from
> the network and turn off my computer?
> There has to be some data being stored on my computer or the websites are
> somehow recognizing my computer.
>
> This bothers me.
>
> Ken

K_Drive

RE: IE 7 and websites remembering my data
I found the answer to this. And, it was a Flash website issue:
(I actually just searched using Google and found the answer on Yahoo!
Answers, but I cannot find the original post - sorry.)

There is data being store on your computer if you use Flash. It is called
Local Storage, as explained here:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... elp02.html

To adjust setting for Flash websites, you must use this Adobe website:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... nager.html

When I went to this site and used the Settings Manager, I could see both
SmallWorlds and Fantastic Contraptions listed. Now, they are gone from this
list and do not remember my data.

I hope this helps someone else.

Ken

"K_Drive" wrote:

> Hello.
>
> My question is about websites remembering my data.
> Here are the two I am wondering about:
>
> 1. Fantastic Contraption
> http://fantasticcontraption.com/
>
> 2. SmallWorlds
> http://www.smallworlds.com/
>
> 1. The first website is a game where you building "contraptions" to solve
> certain situations of moving one object to a goal area. There are many levels
> to try, and the website puts a checkmark on the levels you complete on the
> levels listings page. It also has an option to sign in/sign out.
>
> 2. The second website has a "Remember Me" checkbox on the login page.
>
> I visit these websites, then I delete my browser's history by going to (IE
> 7.0) Tools Menu - Delete Browsing History - Delete All, and I checked the
> "Files and Settings saved by Add ons" checkbox. I wait until the process has
> finished before doing anything else.
> Then, I close and open my browser.
> I disconnect/reconnect to the WifFi Internet connection I am using.
> I have even shut down and restarted my computer.
>
> 1. The first website still has the checkboxes next to the levels I have
> completed.
> The first website still has me logged in.
>
> 2. The second website still has my email address and password (with
> asterisks) on the Sign In window.
>
> Why isn't my entered data deleted on these websites?
> I think they use Flash to create their websites. But, how are they
> remembering me after I delete my history, close my browser, disconnect from
> the network and turn off my computer?
> There has to be some data being stored on my computer or the websites are
> somehow recognizing my computer.
>
> This bothers me.
>
> Ken

K_Drive

RE: IE 7 and websites remembering my data
Sorry. The links got cut off:

Here is the explanation of Local Settings:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...lp/help02.html

Here is the Settings Manager:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...s_manager.html