IE locks up

tom

IE locks up
Over the last week, IE7 has started locking up. It just freezes. I must go
to Task Manager to End the Task, which always says that it is not responding.

The problem happens with one tab or multiple tabs. My wife has observed the
problem more frequently on her desktop, since she surfs the net more than I
do.

Is there a recent update that can be backed out? We are running Vista Home
Premium.
Kayman

Re: IE locks up
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 22:25:01 -0800, tom wrote:

> Over the last week, IE7 has started locking up. It just freezes. I must go
> to Task Manager to End the Task, which always says that it is not responding.
>
> The problem happens with one tab or multiple tabs. My wife has observed the
> problem more frequently on her desktop, since she surfs the net more than I
> do.
>
> Is there a recent update that can be backed out? We are running Vista Home
> Premium.

It's unlikely an update would be the causing factor.

Try this:

1.Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
Click 'Start' and then click 'Run'... then type (or copy/paste)
"inetcpl.cpl" (w/out quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK'
button.
In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
all...' button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete
files and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.

2.Clean HDD
Delete files using Disk Cleanup
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx

3.Download/execute:
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes...html?tag=mncol
--or--
http://majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_A...are_d5756.html
--direct--
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
--direct--
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

Both free versions of MBAM and SAS are on-demand scanners and offer no
'real-time' protection. Keep them installed and use them as
'second-opinion' scanner which is purposely (by design) recommended by
their respective authors.

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

Additional references:
How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

GMER - is an application that detects and removes rootkits.
http://www.gmer.net/index.php

For additional assistance in relation GMER scan results consult either:
--or--
http://antirootkit.com/forums/index....81ffe4361c3a17

CCleaner - Free
Cleans temporary internet files, cookies, history, recent urls, application
MRUs, etc. ...(*Tune out the registry scanning/fixing option!*)
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim

If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities
uncheck "Windows Defender" (so it won't delete the history of WD).
If you wish, click 'Options' button the 'Settings' [check] 'Run CCleaner
when the computer starts'.
--or--
Setup CCleaner to Automatically Run Each Night in Vista or XP
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...n-vista-or-xp/

Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Good luck

Re: IE locks up
There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

tom wrote:
> Over the last week, IE7 has started locking up. It just freezes. I must
> go
> to Task Manager to End the Task, which always says that it is not
> responding.
>
> The problem happens with one tab or multiple tabs. My wife has observed
> the
> problem more frequently on her desktop, since she surfs the net more than
> do.
>
> Is there a recent update that can be backed out? We are running Vista
> Premium.

Derek McBryde

Re: IE locks up
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 22:25:01 -0800, tom <tom@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Over the last week, IE7 has started locking up. It just freezes. I must go
>to Task Manager to End the Task, which always says that it is not responding.
>
>The problem happens with one tab or multiple tabs. My wife has observed the
>problem more frequently on her desktop, since she surfs the net more than I
>do.
>
>Is there a recent update that can be backed out? We are running Vista Home
>Premium.

This has been happening to me ever since I bought a new PC and changed
from Windows 2K to XP. The only thing I could do to ease the
situation was to disable error reporting so at least I can shut down
IE more quickly.

I am running IE 7 5730.1100 windows XP SP3

It mostly happens when I am browsing the newspaper online at
http://www.telegraph.co.uk. However this online newspaper is full
of crap these days with movies, floating ads, etc etc so there are
many things that could be involved.

I also find XP frequently hangs on startup and I have to reboot
several times. It gets to the Windows XP logo page (almost) which is
usually very faint. Again this gives the impression of some sort of
driver hang-up or conflict. I tend to expect this every time there
has been an automatic Windows update.

I have tried the no add ons mode. I have run CCleaner to get rid of
the temporary files. I have run HiJack This. I have Norton
Internet Security puttering away in the background hunting for worms
and viruses.

I have had the PC back to the shop for investigation but they couldn't
come up with anything.

So is it my machine (AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 4000+ ) ?
Is it my broadband connection? Is it my ISP (Demon internet)? Is it
the crap website?

Who knows.

Short of putting my boot through the wretched machine, I have run out
of ideas.

Derek
Sven Pran

Re: IE locks up
Make sure you have Flash player version 10.0.22.87
If you have any earlier version (e.g. 10.0.12.36) then that is the likely
cause of your problem.

regards Sven

"Derek McBryde" <mcbrydc@mcbrydc.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
newsmlgr492ctpomgm7oeurdhc6lr7oqt6rft@news.demon .co.uk...
> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 22:25:01 -0800, tom <tom@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Over the last week, IE7 has started locking up. It just freezes. I must
>>go
>>to Task Manager to End the Task, which always says that it is not
>>responding.
>>
>>The problem happens with one tab or multiple tabs. My wife has observed
>>the
>>problem more frequently on her desktop, since she surfs the net more than
>>do.
>>
>>Is there a recent update that can be backed out? We are running Vista
>>Premium.

> This has been happening to me ever since I bought a new PC and changed
> from Windows 2K to XP. The only thing I could do to ease the
> situation was to disable error reporting so at least I can shut down
> IE more quickly.
>
> I am running IE 7 5730.1100 windows XP SP3
>
> It mostly happens when I am browsing the newspaper online at
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk. However this online newspaper is full
> of crap these days with movies, floating ads, etc etc so there are
> many things that could be involved.
>
> I also find XP frequently hangs on startup and I have to reboot
> several times. It gets to the Windows XP logo page (almost) which is
> usually very faint. Again this gives the impression of some sort of
> driver hang-up or conflict. I tend to expect this every time there
> has been an automatic Windows update.
>
> I have tried the no add ons mode. I have run CCleaner to get rid of
> the temporary files. I have run HiJack This. I have Norton
> Internet Security puttering away in the background hunting for worms
> and viruses.
>
> I have had the PC back to the shop for investigation but they couldn't
> come up with anything.
>
> So is it my machine (AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 4000+ ) ?
> Is it my broadband connection? Is it my ISP (Demon internet)? Is it
> the crap website?
>
> Who knows.
>
> Short of putting my boot through the wretched machine, I have run out
> of ideas.
>

> Derek

Derek McBryde

Re: IE locks up
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:08:14 +0100, "Sven Pran"
<no.direct@mail.please> wrote:

>Make sure you have Flash player version 10.0.22.87
>If you have any earlier version (e.g. 10.0.12.36) then that is the likely
>cause of your problem.
>
>regards Sven

I had 10.0.12.36. I now have 10.0.22.87 (although it took 3
attempts to install it). Let's hope this works.

Thanks for your suggestion, Sven.

Derek