IE7 Startup Problem

mjbernier

IE7 Startup Problem
I have a client running IE7 on XP Pro, current on all updates and patches,
having an unsual startup problem. She's on dial-up, and can connect to her
ISP with no problem. When she starts IE, it stops with the "IE has
encountered an error and must close" type message. I have found that if you
leave that session on screen (and don't respond to the error message), and
then start a second session of IE, it will open successfully and work fine.
Same goes with any number of additional sessions. If you have, say, two or
three session open and then go back to the first one and answer the error
message, if you try to open another session after that it will also fail.

It gives the appearance of a situation in which each IE session tries to
connect to a group of available ports in a particular order, always starting
with "port 1" and going up...the first session tries "port 1" and fails, but
as long as you have that "port" tied up with the failed session, any
subsequent request will go to the next available port and work successfully.
Then when you respond to the error, it closes down and makes "port 1"
available again...so the next session you start will again fail. Is that
making sense?

I tried reinstalling IE7 as well as her ISP software, and I also switched
her to a different ISP, but get the same error conditions as I've described
above, so I have ruled out her ISP as the source of the trouble.

The workaround I've given her for now is to open two IE sessions, and to not
respond to the error message that comes up on the first session. Does anyone
here have any clues on where I need to look to fix this?

Re: IE7 Startup Problem
Please state the full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to this
newsgroup.

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

• Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
Add-ons; or

• Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), and (b) uninstall any/all toolbars and
(c) uninstall any third-party Windows Theme (including Window Blinds) and
(d) you do NOT reinstall IE7, does this behavior persist?

NB: If it does, STOP HERE! Do NOT reinstall IE7, just reply to this post.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs! It's safe to ignore any "such and such
may not work" warnings. Ignore any references to Vista on the webpage.]

Also see:

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Assuming everything's OK in IE6, reinstall IE7 exactly per...

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install [Again, ignore any
references to Vista]

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Or use this Download link:
(Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.)

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/