RE: Favorites are missing

mschannon

RE: Favorites are missing
I have the same problem & don't understand what I'm supposed to do with the
regedit suggestion below. I went to the link & my registry looks
fine--whatever that means.

The favorites on my C drive aren't hidden. This all happened after I had
massive problems downloading the Microsoft pfbackup program. I wound up
deleting it. Could there be a connection?

Sigh...Any help? Please? Thanks.

Mark

"solarman1" wrote:

> I am running Win XP Pro SP2 and IE7. My favorites suddendly dissapered as did
> my personal files in Outlook 2007. I have tried all the tricks I know, any
> ideas?
> --
> Thanks, Geoff M.

Rob

Re: Favorites are missing
Similar problem here for one of the Users, but not caused by 'significant
problems'.
The Favorites links are all still found in folder 'Favorites' under the
User's 'Documents and Settings' but the bookmarks.htm is nowhere to be found
(which I believe IE needs to load the Favorites).

Hope this issue is solvable!
Rob

"mschannon" <mschannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem & don't understand what I'm supposed to do with the
> regedit suggestion below. I went to the link & my registry looks
> fine--whatever that means.
>
> The favorites on my C drive aren't hidden. This all happened after I had
> massive problems downloading the Microsoft pfbackup program. I wound up
> deleting it. Could there be a connection?
>
> Sigh...Any help? Please? Thanks.
>
> Mark
>
> "solarman1" wrote:
>
>> I am running Win XP Pro SP2 and IE7. My favorites suddendly dissapered as
>> did
>> my personal files in Outlook 2007. I have tried all the tricks I know,
>> any
>> ideas?
>> --
>> Thanks, Geoff M.

Computer Wiz Without A Clue

Re: Favorites are missing
I may be misunderstanding your post but the best way to back up your IE
favorites is in Internet Explorer itself. Go to files then import-export and
then choose export favorites. I created a folder on my C:\ drive named IE
and I store them in there. I also back up to a external hard drive.

Computer Wiz Without A Clue

"mschannon" <mschannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem & don't understand what I'm supposed to do with
> the
> regedit suggestion below. I went to the link & my registry looks
> fine--whatever that means.
>
> The favorites on my C drive aren't hidden. This all happened after I had
> massive problems downloading the Microsoft pfbackup program. I wound up
> deleting it. Could there be a connection?
>
> Sigh...Any help? Please? Thanks.
>
> Mark
>
> "solarman1" wrote:
>
>> I am running Win XP Pro SP2 and IE7. My favorites suddendly dissapered as
>> did
>> my personal files in Outlook 2007. I have tried all the tricks I know,
>> any
>> ideas?
>> --
>> Thanks, Geoff M.

mschannon

Re: Favorites are missing
It's not a backup issue. After getting the runaround from MS on the
phone--what a surprise, I called Lenovo. They said it's probably a virus I
picked up from downloading a MS program. Forget the program but file was
pfbackup.exe, after which all my problems started.

Wound up wiping hard drive & reloading everything. I gotta find a way to
dump all MS programs.

"Computer Wiz Without A Clue" wrote:

> I may be misunderstanding your post but the best way to back up your IE
> favorites is in Internet Explorer itself. Go to files then import-export and
> then choose export favorites. I created a folder on my C:\ drive named IE
> and I store them in there. I also back up to a external hard drive.
>

> Computer Wiz Without A Clue
>
> "mschannon" <mschannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have the same problem & don't understand what I'm supposed to do with
> > the
> > regedit suggestion below. I went to the link & my registry looks
> > fine--whatever that means.
> >
> > The favorites on my C drive aren't hidden. This all happened after I had
> > massive problems downloading the Microsoft pfbackup program. I wound up
> > deleting it. Could there be a connection?
> >
> > Sigh...Any help? Please? Thanks.
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > "solarman1" wrote:
> >
> >> I am running Win XP Pro SP2 and IE7. My favorites suddendly dissapered as
> >> did
> >> my personal files in Outlook 2007. I have tried all the tricks I know,
> >> any
> >> ideas?
> >> --
> >> Thanks, Geoff M.

Donald Anadell

Re: Favorites are missing

> It's not a backup issue.

> After getting the runaround from MS on the
> phone--what a surprise,

Care to detail what the "runaround" was?

> I called Lenovo. They said it's probably a virus I
> picked up from downloading a MS program.

Bunk!!

> Forget the program but file was
> pfbackup.exe, after which all my problems started.

There is no virus associated with this "pfbackup.exe" download from
Microsoft:

By the way, pfbackup.exe is used to back up .PST files in Outlook 2000 and
later, what does this MS Office add-in for backing up Personal Folders in
Outlook have to do with IE7?

> Wound up wiping hard drive & reloading everything.

> I gotta find a way to
> dump all MS programs.

This is a sure way to end up re-wiping your hard drive again.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> "Computer Wiz Without A Clue" wrote:
>
>> I may be misunderstanding your post but the best way to back up your IE
>> favorites is in Internet Explorer itself. Go to files then import-export
>> and
>> then choose export favorites. I created a folder on my C:\ drive named IE
>> and I store them in there. I also back up to a external hard drive.
>>

>> Computer Wiz Without A Clue
>>
>> "mschannon" <mschannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have the same problem & don't understand what I'm supposed to do with
>> > the
>> > regedit suggestion below. I went to the link & my registry looks
>> > fine--whatever that means.
>> >
>> > The favorites on my C drive aren't hidden. This all happened after I
>> > had
>> > massive problems downloading the Microsoft pfbackup program. I wound
>> > up
>> > deleting it. Could there be a connection?
>> >
>> > Sigh...Any help? Please? Thanks.
>> >
>> > Mark

Re: Favorites are missing
And *your* IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)
would be...?

Pfbackup has nothing to do with this.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

mschannon wrote:
> I have the same problem & don't understand what I'm supposed to do with
> the
> regedit suggestion below. I went to the link & my registry looks
> fine--whatever that means.
>
> The favorites on my C drive aren't hidden. This all happened after I had
> massive problems downloading the Microsoft pfbackup program. I wound up
> deleting it. Could there be a connection?
>
> Sigh...Any help? Please? Thanks.
>
> "solarman1" wrote:
>> I am running Win XP Pro SP2 and IE7. My favorites suddendly dissapered as
>> did my personal files in Outlook 2007. I have tried all the tricks I
>> know,
>> any ideas?

mschannon

Re: Favorites are missing
Donald & PA Bear,

The runaround? Simple. I paid a lot of money for Vista Home Premium &
Outlook Home & Office which I'm sure went into MS's coffers. But when you
call them, they won't help because the software was OEM installed. So you
have to call your computer manufacturer--who probably doesn't specialize in
software problems. How clever of MS.

It's probably just as well MS wouldn't help. About a month ago, Outlook on
my wife's computer went weird, and, after spending hours on MS's website
getting nowhere, I called MS & paid for help...only to have two technicians
screw around with my wife's system, put programs on it to launch that I have
no understanding of. I wound up wiping her system as well--at their
suggestion--only to discover that a small change in her anti-virus program
fixed the problem.

I'm sure the program from MS wasn't infected--although it wouldn't load
properly. According to Lenovo, and at least they talked with me (my
computer's a month old), a virus or some kind of nasty thing could attach
itself through the download. If they're right...and I have no way of
knowing...it could infect anything.

None of the advice on this thread has helped at all, I'd spent hours
wandering around MS's horrible "help" site trying to figure out a solution.
It would have taken less time and trouble to just wipe the system in the
first place, since I have a 500 GB backup drive.

BTW, I just loaded Firefox &...so far...it's far surperior to IE7.

And while I'm at it, I like Vista...no problems at all. But if problems
arise, I have no confidence in MS to help me fix them.

Sorry for the rant, but it was good for me, LOL.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> And *your* IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)
> would be...?
>
> Pfbackup has nothing to do with this.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> mschannon wrote:
> > I have the same problem & don't understand what I'm supposed to do with
> > the
> > regedit suggestion below. I went to the link & my registry looks
> > fine--whatever that means.
> >
> > The favorites on my C drive aren't hidden. This all happened after I had
> > massive problems downloading the Microsoft pfbackup program. I wound up
> > deleting it. Could there be a connection?
> >
> > Sigh...Any help? Please? Thanks.
> >
> > "solarman1" wrote:
> >> I am running Win XP Pro SP2 and IE7. My favorites suddendly dissapered as
> >> did my personal files in Outlook 2007. I have tried all the tricks I
> >> know,
> >> any ideas?

Re: Favorites are missing
While you paid Lenovo handsomely, Lenovo only paid MS a pittance.

If you purchased a computer with Windows preinstalled, you only qualify for
no-charge support from MS for issues related to security updates, Service
Packs that you installed (for about a year after the SP was released), and a
(very) few MS beta applications.
--
~PA Bear

mschannon wrote:
> Donald & PA Bear,
>
> The runaround? Simple. I paid a lot of money for Vista Home Premium &
> Outlook Home & Office which I'm sure went into MS's coffers. But when you
> call them, they won't help because the software was OEM installed. So you
> have to call your computer manufacturer--who probably doesn't specialize
> in
> software problems. How clever of MS.
>
> It's probably just as well MS wouldn't help. About a month ago, Outlook
> on
> my wife's computer went weird, and, after spending hours on MS's website
> getting nowhere, I called MS & paid for help...only to have two
> technicians
> screw around with my wife's system, put programs on it to launch that I
> have
> no understanding of. I wound up wiping her system as well--at their
> suggestion--only to discover that a small change in her anti-virus program
> fixed the problem.
>
> I'm sure the program from MS wasn't infected--although it wouldn't load
> properly. According to Lenovo, and at least they talked with me (my
> computer's a month old), a virus or some kind of nasty thing could attach
> itself through the download. If they're right...and I have no way of
> knowing...it could infect anything.
>
> None of the advice on this thread has helped at all, I'd spent hours
> wandering around MS's horrible "help" site trying to figure out a
> solution.
> It would have taken less time and trouble to just wipe the system in the
> first place, since I have a 500 GB backup drive.
>
> BTW, I just loaded Firefox &...so far...it's far surperior to IE7.
>
> And while I'm at it, I like Vista...no problems at all. But if problems
> arise, I have no confidence in MS to help me fix them.
>
> Sorry for the rant, but it was good for me, LOL.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> And *your* IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista
>> SP1)
>> would be...?
>>
>> Pfbackup has nothing to do with this.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> mschannon wrote:
>>> I have the same problem & don't understand what I'm supposed to do with
>>> the
>>> regedit suggestion below. I went to the link & my registry looks
>>> fine--whatever that means.
>>>
>>> The favorites on my C drive aren't hidden. This all happened after I
>>> had
>>> massive problems downloading the Microsoft pfbackup program. I wound up
>>> deleting it. Could there be a connection?
>>>
>>> Sigh...Any help? Please? Thanks.

mschannon

Re: Favorites are missing
PA Bear,

When you won't support your products, you can make all the excuses you want,
but customers are going to be pissed off. It's your responsibility & if you
cut a bad deal with Lenovo, it's your problem, not one you should impose on
customers.

Your comment about supporting "very few" Beta programs is amazing. You ask
customers to take a risk with a product that's not finished...but then when
they have problems, you ignore them. When you launched the original Vista
with all its problems, I'm sure you provided no support.

Even when I paid for support--my earlier message--it was a disaster.

And you wonder why so many are looking for alternatives to MS? I know MS
doesn't care because it's got the corporate world trapped, but I wonder if
it's not going to come back to haunt you.

I know it's not just MS--the entire arrogant tech world, except for a very
few, treats customers as a nuisance.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> While you paid Lenovo handsomely, Lenovo only paid MS a pittance.
>
> If you purchased a computer with Windows preinstalled, you only qualify for
> no-charge support from MS for issues related to security updates, Service
> Packs that you installed (for about a year after the SP was released), and a
> (very) few MS beta applications.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> mschannon wrote:
> > Donald & PA Bear,
> >
> > The runaround? Simple. I paid a lot of money for Vista Home Premium &
> > Outlook Home & Office which I'm sure went into MS's coffers. But when you
> > call them, they won't help because the software was OEM installed. So you
> > have to call your computer manufacturer--who probably doesn't specialize
> > in
> > software problems. How clever of MS.
> >
> > It's probably just as well MS wouldn't help. About a month ago, Outlook
> > on
> > my wife's computer went weird, and, after spending hours on MS's website
> > getting nowhere, I called MS & paid for help...only to have two
> > technicians
> > screw around with my wife's system, put programs on it to launch that I
> > have
> > no understanding of. I wound up wiping her system as well--at their
> > suggestion--only to discover that a small change in her anti-virus program
> > fixed the problem.
> >
> > I'm sure the program from MS wasn't infected--although it wouldn't load
> > properly. According to Lenovo, and at least they talked with me (my
> > computer's a month old), a virus or some kind of nasty thing could attach
> > itself through the download. If they're right...and I have no way of
> > knowing...it could infect anything.
> >
> > None of the advice on this thread has helped at all, I'd spent hours
> > wandering around MS's horrible "help" site trying to figure out a
> > solution.
> > It would have taken less time and trouble to just wipe the system in the
> > first place, since I have a 500 GB backup drive.
> >
> > BTW, I just loaded Firefox &...so far...it's far surperior to IE7.
> >
> > And while I'm at it, I like Vista...no problems at all. But if problems
> > arise, I have no confidence in MS to help me fix them.
> >
> > Sorry for the rant, but it was good for me, LOL.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> And *your* IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista
> >> SP1)
> >> would be...?
> >>
> >> Pfbackup has nothing to do with this.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Leonard Grey

Re: Favorites are missing
What's all this about "your products"?

Do you know what a peer support newsgroup is?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est