playing MP3 from the web

D Young

playing MP3 from the web
I have several people accessing a web site that cannot get Internet Explorer
to play the mp3 files from the web page. Up until a week ago, all anyone had
to do was click on the file name and it would start playing in Windows Media
Player. Now you get a message that the page could not be displayed.

Does anyone have any idea what has changed?
You can reach and play the audio files from other browsers.
Leonard Grey

Re: playing MP3 from the web
How shall we find out what versions of Internet Explorer, Windows Media
Player and Windows these people use? Or what is the URL of "the web page?"
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

D Young wrote:
> I have several people accessing a web site that cannot get Internet Explorer
> to play the mp3 files from the web page. Up until a week ago, all anyone had
> to do was click on the file name and it would start playing in Windows Media
> Player. Now you get a message that the page could not be displayed.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what has changed?
> You can reach and play the audio files from other browsers.

Robert Schuldenfrei

RE: playing MP3 from the web
Hi Newsgroup,

I am having the same issue. I did a little more research and found the
following. Under Vista using IE 8 when you click on an MP3 file you are
informed that no association is on file between MP3 and Windows Media Player
(or any other program). This is not the case as MP3, and every other sound
format, is associated with Windows Media Player. Vista lets me save the
file, which I do. Once you open the saved file Windows Media Player comes up
and plays the sound just fine.

If I use XP and IE 7 the web-based MP3 file play just fine by clicking on
the link. If I use Vista and Firefox the MP3 media works just great although
Firefox uses Apple's Quick Time player.

This is clearly not a "show stopper" but I would like to clear this matter
up just as soon as I can. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
bob@s-i-inc.com
posted 05/10/2009 on: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

"D Young" wrote:

> I have several people accessing a web site that cannot get Internet Explorer
> to play the mp3 files from the web page. Up until a week ago, all anyone had
> to do was click on the file name and it would start playing in Windows Media
> Player. Now you get a message that the page could not be displayed.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what has changed?
> You can reach and play the audio files from other browsers.

Robert Schuldenfrei

RE: playing MP3 from the web
OK, problem solved! I do not understand why this worked, but it did. I
changed the association to Quick Time and the MP3 files played just fine.
Then, and here is the part that I fail to grasp, I returned the association
to Windows Media Player and that WORKED too.

"Robert Schuldenfrei" wrote:

> Hi Newsgroup,
>
> I am having the same issue. I did a little more research and found the
> following. Under Vista using IE 8 when you click on an MP3 file you are
> informed that no association is on file between MP3 and Windows Media Player
> (or any other program). This is not the case as MP3, and every other sound
> format, is associated with Windows Media Player. Vista lets me save the
> file, which I do. Once you open the saved file Windows Media Player comes up
> and plays the sound just fine.
>
> If I use XP and IE 7 the web-based MP3 file play just fine by clicking on
> the link. If I use Vista and Firefox the MP3 media works just great although
> Firefox uses Apple's Quick Time player.
>
> This is clearly not a "show stopper" but I would like to clear this matter
> up just as soon as I can. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bob
> bob@s-i-inc.com
> posted 05/10/2009 on: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
>
> "D Young" wrote:
>
> > I have several people accessing a web site that cannot get Internet Explorer
> > to play the mp3 files from the web page. Up until a week ago, all anyone had
> > to do was click on the file name and it would start playing in Windows Media
> > Player. Now you get a message that the page could not be displayed.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea what has changed?
> > You can reach and play the audio files from other browsers.

Donald Anadell

Re: playing MP3 from the web

"Robert Schuldenfrei" <RobertSchuldenfrei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news293050B-5D0B-4687-B8B9-D93E51A79950@microsoft.com...
> Hi Newsgroup,
>
> I am having the same issue.

Doesn't sound like the same issue as the OP to me. The OP claims that a
"Page can not be Displayed" error is presented when clicking on links to MP3
files. Whereas you are claiming you get a file association error when
clicking on a Link to an MP3 file.

It's always better to start your own thread, it helps to avoid confusion

> I did a little more research and found the
> following. Under Vista using IE 8 when you click on an MP3 file you are
> informed that no association is on file between MP3 and Windows Media
> Player
> (or any other program).

When clicking on a MP3 File on your local machine, or a Link to an MP3 file
on the Web? You state, "when you click on an MP3 {file} you are informed".
Do you mean to say when you click on a Link to an MP3 file you are informed?

> This is not the case as MP3, and every other sound
> format, is associated with Windows Media Player. Vista lets me save the
> file, which I do. Once you open the saved file Windows Media Player comes
> up
> and plays the sound just fine.

You might try the Vista MP3 file association fix located here:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

Good luck,

Donald Anadell