Problem connecting to Internet

Bob S

Problem connecting to Internet
I have WinXP SP3 with IE 7.0.5730.13.

Starting after last weekend (when I updated Windows, which
included an update to IE, I believe) it takes at least a
couple minutes for IE to connect to the Internet, and
sometimes it doesn't connect at all, depending on the web
page. (But the same web page can act differently at
different times; sometimes I can connect to a particular
page; sometimes not.)

I get a message in the lower left of IE initially stating
"connecting to site <ip address>" then "website found,
waiting for reply," then "waiting for <https whatever>."
After that (if and when it gets beyond that, which many
times it doesn't, more often than not it takes several
minutes) the web page appears. Clicking on links within a
web page (including links that are supposed to generate
pop-ups, such as for a form to be filled in) leads to yet
another long wait, which may or may not result in the page
eventually appearing. Often the message in the lower left
just says "waiting for ..." while the page itself is white.

I haven't changed any settings, and the only thing to have
occurred on the computer (at least that I'm aware of)
leading to this problem is that I updated Windows.

I also have Firefox and Opera, and don't experience this
issue with either of them.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks.
--

Bob S.

Re: Problem connecting to Internet
1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
[ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode?
> [snip]

It does.

> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings
> (RIES)? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before
> using!

It does here too.

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with
> Networking? [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough
> to test!]

Here it doesn't. I stayed in safe mode only long enough to
determine that six or seven sites all connected as quickly
as they did formerly.

> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet
> Explorer [ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista
> or IE7]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211

That link says that it applies only if I have *both* Vista
*and* IE7. I have IE7, but not Vista (I have WinXP SP3), so
I didn't linger over the instructions. However, I did note
that a number of things it recommended (such as restarting
my router) concerned possible sources of problems that would
affect all of my browsers (IE7, Opera and Firefox), and not
just IE alone. Since I have no problems with my other
browsers, the problem seems to stem from something in IE7
itself and I imagine that those kinds of solutions don't
apply.

Now that we know that IE7 will connect quickly from safe
mode in my system, is there anything further I can do to
pinpoint the problem and fix it?

Thanks.
--

Bob S.

Re: Problem connecting to Internet
> That link says that it applies only if I have *both* Vista
> *and* IE7. I have IE7, but not Vista (I have WinXP SP3)...

Well, that's why I posted "ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running
Vista or IE7." IOW, most of the KB applies to WinXP and IE6.

If the behavior does not persist in Safe Mode *with Networking*, one or more
applications which load in normal mode but not in Safe Mode must be the
troublemaker(s). Diagnose via http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434.

On the other hand, there is a very good chance are that you are seeing the
affects of a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support
calls that are associated with security updates.