IE hijacked how do I change the registry address

CinciDave

IE hijacked how do I change the registry address
I have removed a program called bearflix which did not suit my needs, however
this program captured my IE(7) home page and does not allow it to change. In
searching through this forum, I saw a suggestion to use a program called
start page. Unfortunqtely this latter program grayed out the Internet options
in the IE tools menu and I am unable to access that menu now. Searching the
Registry I found the In the IE submenu an address in the LOW REGISTRY under
a BHO Bearflix folder. In the associated right pane is the line:

{AB}IEHomepage REG_SZ http://search.bearflix.com/

I assume that if I change that address to the home page I want, all will be
fine and dandy. So the questions are: will this correct the problem, and if
so how does one remove the errant address and insert the desired
one?...Messing with the registry is a sticky problem , I know, but is there
any alternative (I use XP PRO, SP2)
................Thanks...CinciDave
Leonard Grey

Re: IE hijacked how do I change the registry address
(1) Please do /not/ post URLs that contain malicious software.

(2) Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download
the latest updates and run a full scan.

Effective anti-malware software starts automatically when your computer
starts, runs continuously in the background, and scans for all types of
malicious software. Without it, you're a sitting duck.

For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
scanners, such as the scanner from Kaspersky Labs:

http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php

Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and http://aumha.net -- but
not here. Within a day you'll have step-by-step advice from an expert on
removing malware infestations.

Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every problem
caused by malware. If you are not able to remove the infection, you may
want to show the computer to a professional. You might need to erase
your hard drive and start over.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

CinciDave wrote:
> I have removed a program called bearflix which did not suit my needs, however
> this program captured my IE(7) home page and does not allow it to change. In
> searching through this forum, I saw a suggestion to use a program called
> start page. Unfortunqtely this latter program grayed out the Internet options
> in the IE tools menu and I am unable to access that menu now. Searching the
> Registry I found the In the IE submenu an address in the LOW REGISTRY under
> a BHO Bearflix folder. In the associated right pane is the line:
>
> {AB}IEHomepage REG_SZ http://search.bearflix.com/
>
> I assume that if I change that address to the home page I want, all will be
> fine and dandy. So the questions are: will this correct the problem, and if
> so how does one remove the errant address and insert the desired
> one?...Messing with the registry is a sticky problem , I know, but is there
> any alternative (I use XP PRO, SP2)
> ...............Thanks...CinciDave

Re: IE hijacked how do I change the registry address
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

CinciDave wrote:
> I have removed a program called bearflix which did not suit my needs,
> however this program captured my IE(7) home page and does not allow it to
> change. In searching through this forum, I saw a suggestion to use a
> program called start page. Unfortunqtely this latter program grayed out
> the
> Internet options in the IE tools menu and I am unable to access that menu
> now. Searching the Registry I found the In the IE submenu an address in
> the LOW REGISTRY under a BHO Bearflix folder. In the associated right
> pane is the line:
>
> {AB}IEHomepage REG_SZ XXXX://search.bearflix.com/
>
> I assume that if I change that address to the home page I want, all will
> be
> fine and dandy. So the questions are: will this correct the problem, and
> if
> so how does one remove the errant address and insert the desired
> one?...Messing with the registry is a sticky problem , I know, but is
> there
> any alternative (I use XP PRO, SP2)

Raymond

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
> in an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> CinciDave wrote:
> > I have removed a program called bearflix which did not suit my needs,
> > however this program captured my IE(7) home page and does not allow it to
> > change. In searching through this forum, I saw a suggestion to use a
> > program called start page. Unfortunqtely this latter program grayed out
> > the
> > Internet options in the IE tools menu and I am unable to access that menu
> > now. Searching the Registry I found the In the IE submenu an address in
> > the LOW REGISTRY under a BHO Bearflix folder. In the associated right
> > pane is the line:
> >
> > {AB}IEHomepage REG_SZ XXXX://search.bearflix.com/
> >
> > I assume that if I change that address to the home page I want, all will
> > be
> > fine and dandy. So the questions are: will this correct the problem, and
> > if
> > so how does one remove the errant address and insert the desired
> > one?...Messing with the registry is a sticky problem , I know, but is
> > there
> > any alternative (I use XP PRO, SP2)

On this same subject, why has Microsoft highjacked my IE7 home page with
this?: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
It started after one of IE's updates about a month ago and I cannot change
it back to the opening home page that I want, which is "blank". I will
appreciate information to correct this.
Thanks,
Raymond

Re: IE hijacked how do I change the registry address
Pick one: A blank Web page is displayed when you start Internet Explorer 7
[ignore the title]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...every-startup/

You are unable to change the home page in IE7 (FixIt4Me)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967753