IE does not display any webpages AOL browsser does!?

Dave

IE does not display any webpages AOL browsser does!?
Hi, This is an odd problem. This is friends computer, has Win XP SP-3 512mb
ram, IE 7 Installed on computer and it will not display any webpages at all.
I have tried to fix by using winsock & lsp fix no joy, also tried
re-installing IE 7 no joy. Some other anomilies with this are AOL browser
does work, AVG AV will not update, but Spybot Search and destroy will.
Network diagnostics show no problems.

IE is default browser from what I can see, it is allowed in windows firewall.

I have never seen this odd behavior before anyone have any clues.
--
Dave G
geek in perpetual training

Re: IE does not display any webpages AOL browsser does!?
There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dave wrote:
> Hi, This is an odd problem. This is friends computer, has Win XP SP-3
> 512mb
> ram, IE 7 Installed on computer and it will not display any webpages at
> all.
> I have tried to fix by using winsock & lsp fix no joy, also tried
> re-installing IE 7 no joy. Some other anomilies with this are AOL browser
> does work, AVG AV will not update, but Spybot Search and destroy will.
> Network diagnostics show no problems.
>
> IE is default browser from what I can see, it is allowed in windows
> firewall.
>
> I have never seen this odd behavior before anyone have any clues.

Dave

Re: IE does not display any webpages AOL browsser does!?
I am a computer tech and have already checked for viruses, trojans,
spyware/malware/Hijackers etc. , none seem to be present via many different
scanners including HiJackThis, Spybot S&D, MalwareBytes, SuperAntispyware,
AVG AV, Trend Micro Housecall scanner, MSRT. Checked in Safe Mode as well.

I can see HTML content that is local to the machine with IE but not through
the web. Funny how AOL Browser actually uses the settings for IE tho. I hate
AOHELL on anything, but it is at least allowing webpages to be displayed
through it but user does not want to use AOL Browser.

IE is set to check if it is the default browser, and should be displaying
webpages, it has to be something I am overlooking somehow.

Anyone have any more suggestions?
--
Dave G
geek in perpetual training

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
> hijackware infection.

> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Dave wrote:
> > Hi, This is an odd problem. This is friends computer, has Win XP SP-3
> > 512mb
> > ram, IE 7 Installed on computer and it will not display any webpages at
> > all.
> > I have tried to fix by using winsock & lsp fix no joy, also tried
> > re-installing IE 7 no joy. Some other anomilies with this are AOL browser
> > does work, AVG AV will not update, but Spybot Search and destroy will.
> > Network diagnostics show no problems.
> >
> > IE is default browser from what I can see, it is allowed in windows
> > firewall.
> >
> > I have never seen this odd behavior before anyone have any clues.

Re: IE does not display any webpages AOL browsser does!?
Unfortunately, no scans (online or resident) or combination of scans can
detect all of the BadGuys these days...nor do they all show up in HJT logs.
I'd recommend getting at least second opinion from someone more experienced
and current in such matters than yourself, no offense.

Dave wrote:
> I am a computer tech and have already checked for viruses, trojans,
> spyware/malware/Hijackers etc. , none seem to be present via many
> different
> scanners including HiJackThis, Spybot S&D, MalwareBytes, SuperAntispyware,
> AVG AV, Trend Micro Housecall scanner, MSRT. Checked in Safe Mode as well.
>
> I can see HTML content that is local to the machine with IE but not
> through
> the web. Funny how AOL Browser actually uses the settings for IE tho. I
> hate AOHELL on anything, but it is at least allowing webpages to be
> displayed through it but user does not want to use AOL Browser.
>
> IE is set to check if it is the default browser, and should be displaying
> webpages, it has to be something I am overlooking somehow.
>
> Anyone have any more suggestions?
>
>> There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
>> hijackware infection.
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
>> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>>
>> **Seek expert assistance in
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Dave wrote:
>>> Hi, This is an odd problem. This is friends computer, has Win XP SP-3
>>> 512mb
>>> ram, IE 7 Installed on computer and it will not display any webpages at
>>> all.
>>> I have tried to fix by using winsock & lsp fix no joy, also tried
>>> re-installing IE 7 no joy. Some other anomilies with this are AOL
>>> browser
>>> does work, AVG AV will not update, but Spybot Search and destroy will.
>>> Network diagnostics show no problems.
>>>
>>> IE is default browser from what I can see, it is allowed in windows
>>> firewall.
>>>
>>> I have never seen this odd behavior before anyone have any clues.

Dave

Re: IE does not display any webpages AOL browsser does!?
Well More on this problem:

IE works in safe mode with networking, AOL browser has been uninstalled,
still no joy.

No disrespect but Hijacking or malware etc is not the apparent problem PA
Bear, since all but close to zero day stuff can be found and removed one way
or another.

It always briefly shows DNS error in IE then displays Cannot display webpage.

Network diagnostics says no problem although it seems to me it doesnt show
as much info as I recall it should.

There are some remnants of an old Mcafee personal firewall found on computer
going to try to resolve that in case that is issue.

Had to download & install a McAfee uninstall program from thier website and
let it do its thing. And just amazingly jee whiz kids IE now works like a
dream.

So it just goes ta show ya that not all problems are from Hijackers or
malware PA Bear.

Also BTW I have about 16 years of experience with just windows and many more
with computers and electronics as well. But as you notice even with all that
experience its always good to be a perpetual geek in training and not just
fluff off other things to look at.

--
Dave G
geek in perpetual training

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Unfortunately, no scans (online or resident) or combination of scans can
> detect all of the BadGuys these days...nor do they all show up in HJT logs.
> I'd recommend getting at least second opinion from someone more experienced
> and current in such matters than yourself, no offense.
>
> Dave wrote:
> > I am a computer tech and have already checked for viruses, trojans,
> > spyware/malware/Hijackers etc. , none seem to be present via many
> > different
> > scanners including HiJackThis, Spybot S&D, MalwareBytes, SuperAntispyware,
> > AVG AV, Trend Micro Housecall scanner, MSRT. Checked in Safe Mode as well.
> >
> > I can see HTML content that is local to the machine with IE but not
> > through
> > the web. Funny how AOL Browser actually uses the settings for IE tho. I
> > hate AOHELL on anything, but it is at least allowing webpages to be
> > displayed through it but user does not want to use AOL Browser.
> >
> > IE is set to check if it is the default browser, and should be displaying
> > webpages, it has to be something I am overlooking somehow.
> >
> > Anyone have any more suggestions?
> >
> >> There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
> >> hijackware infection.
> >>
> >> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
> >>
> >> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
> >> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
> >>
> >> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> >> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
> >>
> >> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> >> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >>
> >> **Seek expert assistance in
> >> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
> >> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> >> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**
> >>
> >> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> >> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> >> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE does not display any webpages AOL browsser does!?
Safe Mode disables a lot of BadGuys. Try Clean Boot troubleshooting now to
see if you can determine the miscreant(s).

The presence of the McAfee leftovers (and/or already extant hijackware)
may have compromised the install and/or efficacy of AVG (Free v8.0, I
assume).

PS: None of the above or what I've posted earlier is fluff.

Dave wrote:
> Well More on this problem:
>
> IE works in safe mode with networking, AOL browser has been uninstalled,
> still no joy.
>
> No disrespect but Hijacking or malware etc is not the apparent problem PA
> Bear, since all but close to zero day stuff can be found and removed one
> way
> or another.
>
> It always briefly shows DNS error in IE then displays Cannot display
> webpage.
>
> Network diagnostics says no problem although it seems to me it doesnt show
> as much info as I recall it should.
>
> There are some remnants of an old Mcafee personal firewall found on
> computer
> going to try to resolve that in case that is issue.
>
> Had to download & install a McAfee uninstall program from thier website
> and
> let it do its thing. And just amazingly jee whiz kids IE now works like a
> dream.
>
> So it just goes ta show ya that not all problems are from Hijackers or
> malware PA Bear.
>
> Also BTW I have about 16 years of experience with just windows and many
> more
> with computers and electronics as well. But as you notice even with all
> that
> experience its always good to be a perpetual geek in training and not just
> fluff off other things to look at.
>

>> Unfortunately, no scans (online or resident) or combination of scans can
>> detect all of the BadGuys these days...nor do they all show up in HJT
>> logs.
>> I'd recommend getting at least second opinion from someone more
>> experienced
>> and current in such matters than yourself, no offense.
>>
>> Dave wrote:
>>> I am a computer tech and have already checked for viruses, trojans,
>>> spyware/malware/Hijackers etc. , none seem to be present via many
>>> different
>>> scanners including HiJackThis, Spybot S&D, MalwareBytes,
>>> SuperAntispyware,
>>> AVG AV, Trend Micro Housecall scanner, MSRT. Checked in Safe Mode as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> I can see HTML content that is local to the machine with IE but not
>>> through
>>> the web. Funny how AOL Browser actually uses the settings for IE tho. I
>>> hate AOHELL on anything, but it is at least allowing webpages to be
>>> displayed through it but user does not want to use AOL Browser.
>>>
>>> IE is set to check if it is the default browser, and should be
>>> displaying
>>> webpages, it has to be something I am overlooking somehow.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any more suggestions?

Dave

Re: IE does not display any webpages AOL browsser does!?
Read what I wrote not what you wanted to read.
All I said was that you focused soley on Hijackers as the only source of the
problem (hence the "fluff off other causes"), I did not say what you
percieved, "that what you said was fluff".

It would be of great help if you had read the previous post (the second one
you answered to) where I had stated that all of the possible Hijacker/
Malware etc. was looked at and ruled out.

Yes it is a good to look for the bad guys and that is one of the first thing
that I looked at from the beginning. But alas I guess I hurt your feelings
somehow, well as you say "get a second opinion on that from someone more
experienced and current in such matters" will ya , "no offense".

As to the AVG install being compromised it was not since I had removed all
AV/AS programs after verifying in safe mode to start off with that no bad
guys were present. That to evnsure they aere not a contributing factor as
well.

After finding that a McAfee Firewall service from the (poorly & partially
removed) program was still present I took care of the poorly removed program
checked that IE was working in normal mode, & then reinstalled all protection
programs and ran them in safe mode one more time.

Now everything is good and well since Internet Explorer is now functioning
well as is the computer. Or should I still "get a Second opinion on that from
someone more experienced in these matters, No Offense".

Dave G
geek in perpetual training