Why do I have to double click in the address bar?

Brcobrem

Why do I have to double click in the address bar?
Hi,

Recently I notice that when I open IE7, I have to double click in the
address bar (ie. URL field) before I can use IE7. Trying to tab to that field
doesn't work either. I simply want to open IE7 and start typing a URL. I find
it annoying that I have to pick up a mouse to start using the program.

Does anyone know a way around this?

I look forward to your suggestions or comments.

Regards,
Brcobrem

Re: Why do I have to double click in the address bar?
posting to this newsgroup.

What's your home page? If you choose a blank home page, do you see the same
behavior?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Brcobrem wrote:
> Recently I notice that when I open IE7, I have to double click in the
> address bar (ie. URL field) before I can use IE7. Trying to tab to that
> field doesn't work either. I simply want to open IE7 and start typing a
> URL. I find it annoying that I have to pick up a mouse to start using the
> program.
>
> Does anyone know a way around this?

Robert Aldwinckle

"Brcobrem" <Brcobrem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20B8B1E3-AFAC-4BFF-9D07-233F7277A5FB@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> Recently I notice that when I open IE7, I have to double click in the
> address bar (ie. URL field) before I can use IE7. Trying to tab to that field
> doesn't work either. I simply want to open IE7 and start typing a URL. I find
> it annoying that I have to pick up a mouse to start using the program.
>

> Does anyone know a way around this?

Set keyboard focus to the Address bar with Alt-d

> I look forward to your suggestions or comments.
>
> Regards,
> Brcobrem

Brcobrem

Re: Why do I have to double click in the address bar?
OS is XP SP3 fully patched.

On the IE7 General tab, it made no difference if choosing "about:blank" (my
preference) or "Use Default" (the MSN link). Still can't even tab into the
url field.

Regards,
Brcobrem

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> What's your home page? If you choose a blank home page, do you see the same
> behavior?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Brcobrem wrote:
> > Recently I notice that when I open IE7, I have to double click in the
> > address bar (ie. URL field) before I can use IE7. Trying to tab to that
> > field doesn't work either. I simply want to open IE7 and start typing a
> > URL. I find it annoying that I have to pick up a mouse to start using the
> > program.
> >
> > Does anyone know a way around this?

Brcobrem

Re: Why do I have to double click in the address bar?
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your suggestion. That solution will work for now until I have
time for further debugging.

Regards,
Brcobrem

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Brcobrem" <Brcobrem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20B8B1E3-AFAC-4BFF-9D07-233F7277A5FB@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently I notice that when I open IE7, I have to double click in the
> > address bar (ie. URL field) before I can use IE7. Trying to tab to that field
> > doesn't work either. I simply want to open IE7 and start typing a URL. I find
> > it annoying that I have to pick up a mouse to start using the program.
> >

> > Does anyone know a way around this?

> Set keyboard focus to the Address bar with Alt-d
>

> > I look forward to your suggestions or comments.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Brcobrem

Brcobrem

Re: Why do I have to double click in the address bar?
Hi PA,

Here's something interesting. Robert's suggestion for Alt_d only seems to
work from the default IE7 icon on the desktop. If I copy that to the
QuickLaunch Bar, Alt_d doesn't work.

Humm . . .

Regards,
Bret

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> What's your home page? If you choose a blank home page, do you see the same
> behavior?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Brcobrem wrote:
> > Recently I notice that when I open IE7, I have to double click in the
> > address bar (ie. URL field) before I can use IE7. Trying to tab to that
> > field doesn't work either. I simply want to open IE7 and start typing a
> > URL. I find it annoying that I have to pick up a mouse to start using the
> > program.
> >
> > Does anyone know a way around this?

Re: Why do I have to double click in the address bar?
[I've read all replies to this thread as of 4:15 PM EDT]

Is this sudden, new behavior or an ongoing issue?

Did you just install IE7? Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?

in the background when you installed IE7 and/or SP3?