Virus Protection

jj

Virus Protection
I just uninstalled my Norton Interent Security and my internet speed
increased dramatically. However, I am concerned that my system is now at
risk. I have installed and run weekly both Ad-Aware and Spybot but do not run
them in real-time, only once a week to so scans and clean-up. It seems that
real-time protection causes significant deradation in performance. Any other
suggestions or alternatives? Thanks
--
jj
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: Virus Protection
jj wrote:

> I just uninstalled my Norton Interent Security and my internet speed
> increased dramatically. However, I am concerned that my system is now at
> risk. I have installed and run weekly both Ad-Aware and Spybot but do not
> run them in real-time, only once a week to so scans and clean-up. It
> seems that real-time protection causes significant deradation in
> performance. Any other suggestions or alternatives? Thanks

You must install an antivirus program!
I advise Avira AntiVir (freeware): http://www.free-av.com/

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Kayman

Re: Virus Protection
On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 18:54:07 -0800, jj wrote:

> I just uninstalled my Norton Interent Security

A wise move!

> and my internet speed increased dramatically.

Yes, that's what most users are experiencing.

> However, I am concerned that my system is now at risk.
> I have installed and run weekly both Ad-Aware and Spybot but do not run
> them in real-time, only once a week to so scans and clean-up.

These are Anti-Spyware (A-S) programs and the free versions don't run in
real-time. You should run a real-time Anti-Virus (AV) program as well

> It seems that real-time protection causes significant deradation in performance.

Not necessarily

> Any other suggestions or alternatives? Thanks

Good quality alternative (free) Anti-Spy/Anti Malware programs:
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes...html?tag=mncol
--or--
http://majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_A...are_d5756.html
--direct--
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
--direct--
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

Both free versions of MBAM and SAS are on-demand scanners and offer no
'real-time' protection. Keep them installed and use them as
'second-opinion' scanner which is purposely (by design) recommended by
their respective authors.

Real-time Anti-Spyware program:
Windows Defender - Free (build-in in Vista)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
WD monitors the start-registry and hooks registers/files to prevent spyware
and worms to install to the OS.
Interesting reading:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136195/article.html
"...Windows Defender did excel in behavior-based protection, which detects
changes to key areas of the system without having to know anything about
the actual threat."

Good real-time (free) Anti-Virus program:
Avira AntiVir® Personal - FREE Antivirus
http://www.free-av.com/
(The free version won't scan your emails.)

Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
Ensure your e-mail program is configured to display e-mail messages in
'Plain Text' only.
You may wish to consider removing the 'AntiVir Nagscreen'
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/dis...ntivir_nag.htm

Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
Hundreds Click on 'Click Here to Get Infected' Ad

Good luck
Bruce Hagen

Re: Virus Protection
Getting rid of Norton, good.

Here are two freeware programs that are Windows friendly. Install /without/
e-mail scanning.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0
http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

Do a custom installation and opt out of e-mail scanning.

Avast:

In the case of Avast, choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.

Be sure to do this to get all the Norton crap off your machine. Add/Remove
is not enough.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool:

Symantec uninstaller may not finish the job:
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/080207#story1
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just uninstalled my Norton Interent Security and my internet speed
> increased dramatically. However, I am concerned that my system is now at
> risk. I have installed and run weekly both Ad-Aware and Spybot but do not
> run
> them in real-time, only once a week to so scans and clean-up. It seems
> that
> real-time protection causes significant deradation in performance. Any
> other
> suggestions or alternatives? Thanks
> --
> jj

Re: Virus Protection
You're right!

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

Steps to Help Prevent Computer Worms
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...s/prevent.mspx

PS: Download/run the Norton Removal Tool, too, then reboot:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/