google toolbar update

dwolf

google toolbar update
Google toolbar update
I want to stick with version 4... last week I was automatically updated to
five. I switched it back, I uninstalled toolbar notifier
And a week later I've been updated again... So.....
What's the easiest way to keep version 4...

Thanks

Leonard Grey

Re: google toolbar update
Ask Google about their software. Ask us about Internet Explorer.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

dwolf wrote:
> Google toolbar update
> I want to stick with version 4... last week I was automatically updated
> to five. I switched it back, I uninstalled toolbar notifier
> And a week later I've been updated again... So.....
> What's the easiest way to keep version 4...
>
> Thanks

dwolf

Re: google toolbar update
Yes... but I want Internet Explorer to take charge of it's add on !!!

> Ask Google about their software. Ask us about Internet Explorer.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> dwolf wrote:
>> Google toolbar update
>> I want to stick with version 4... last week I was automatically updated
>> to five. I switched it back, I uninstalled toolbar notifier
>> And a week later I've been updated again... So.....
>> What's the easiest way to keep version 4...
>>
>> Thanks

Donald Anadell

Re: google toolbar update

"dwolf" <jojonospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Yes... but I want Internet Explorer to take charge of it's add on !!!

This is a Google issue, and it doesn't take much "Googling" to discover that
it's a Google policy to push updates on users as soon as they come out of
Beta. There's no way(that I'm aware of) to prevent this Auto-Updating via
the User Interface in the Google Toolbar. I've read that the Enterprise
addition of the Toolbar 4 can be stopped from auto-updating via Group Policy
edits in the Registry, but not the Standard version.

One thing you might try, in order to prevent Version 4 from auto-updating to
Version 5 is to edit the "Hosts" file. I've never used the Google Toolbar
so I can not attest to whether this workaround actually works or not, but
you might give it a try if Version 4 is that important to you.

Edit your "HOSTS" file located in at:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\

Add the following line to the HOSTS file and save it:

127.0.0.1 toolbar.google.com

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

>> Ask Google about their software. Ask us about Internet Explorer.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> dwolf wrote:
>>> Google toolbar update
>>> I want to stick with version 4... last week I was automatically updated
>>> to five. I switched it back, I uninstalled toolbar notifier
>>> And a week later I've been updated again... So.....
>>> What's the easiest way to keep version 4...
>>>
>>> Thanks

Re: google toolbar update
Did IE install Google Toolbar? No.

dwolf wrote:
> Yes... but I want Internet Explorer to take charge of it's add on !!!

>> Ask Google about their software. Ask us about Internet Explorer.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> dwolf wrote:
>>> Google toolbar update
>>> I want to stick with version 4... last week I was automatically updated
>>> to five. I switched it back, I uninstalled toolbar notifier
>>> And a week later I've been updated again... So.....
>>> What's the easiest way to keep version 4...
>>>
>>> Thanks

dwolf

Re: google toolbar update
oh thanks for being so kind and wasting your time being big boss man...
ROARRRRR !!!!

> Did IE install Google Toolbar? No.
>
> dwolf wrote:
>> Yes... but I want Internet Explorer to take charge of it's add on !!!
>>
>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Ask Google about their software. Ask us about Internet Explorer.
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

Re: google toolbar update
Bite me.

dwolf wrote:
> oh thanks for being so kind and wasting your time being big boss man...
> ROARRRRR !!!!

>> Did IE install Google Toolbar? No.
>>
>> dwolf wrote:
>>> Yes... but I want Internet Explorer to take charge of it's add on !!!

Fuzzy Logic

Re: google toolbar update
"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in

> "dwolf" <jojonospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Yes... but I want Internet Explorer to take charge of it's add on !!!

> This is a Google issue, and it doesn't take much "Googling" to discover
> that it's a Google policy to push updates on users as soon as they come
> out of Beta. There's no way(that I'm aware of) to prevent this
> Auto-Updating via the User Interface in the Google Toolbar. I've read
> that the Enterprise addition of the Toolbar 4 can be stopped from
> auto-updating via Group Policy edits in the Registry, but not the
> Standard version.
>
> One thing you might try, in order to prevent Version 4 from
> auto-updating to Version 5 is to edit the "Hosts" file. I've never used
> the Google Toolbar so I can not attest to whether this workaround
> actually works or not, but you might give it a try if Version 4 is that
> important to you.
>
> Edit your "HOSTS" file located in at:
> C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
>
> Add the following line to the HOSTS file and save it:
>
> 127.0.0.1 toolbar.google.com
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell

FWIW this appears to have stopped my Google Toolbar from being updated. I am
still running version 4 and it's not been updated in the month or so since I
updated my hosts file.

>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Ask Google about their software. Ask us about Internet Explorer.
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

Donald Anadell

Re: google toolbar update

"Fuzzy Logic" <bob@arc.ab.caREMOVETHIS> wrote in message
> "Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in
>

>> "dwolf" <jojonospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Yes... but I want Internet Explorer to take charge of it's add on !!!

>> This is a Google issue, and it doesn't take much "Googling" to discover
>> that it's a Google policy to push updates on users as soon as they come
>> out of Beta. There's no way(that I'm aware of) to prevent this
>> Auto-Updating via the User Interface in the Google Toolbar. I've read
>> that the Enterprise addition of the Toolbar 4 can be stopped from
>> auto-updating via Group Policy edits in the Registry, but not the
>> Standard version.
>>
>> One thing you might try, in order to prevent Version 4 from
>> auto-updating to Version 5 is to edit the "Hosts" file. I've never used
>> the Google Toolbar so I can not attest to whether this workaround
>> actually works or not, but you might give it a try if Version 4 is that
>> important to you.
>>
>> Edit your "HOSTS" file located in at:
>> C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
>>
>> Add the following line to the HOSTS file and save it:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 toolbar.google.com
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell

> FWIW this appears to have stopped my Google Toolbar from being updated. I
> am
> still running version 4 and it's not been updated in the month or so since
> updated my hosts file.

Thanks for the feedback Fuzzy Logic.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell