cookies unavilable inside popup window on IE8 RC1

Max Emdat

cookies unavilable inside popup window on IE8 RC1
We are seing weird behavior with cookies on IE8 RC1.

Sometimes, when a new window opens from the website using window.open -
there is new iexplore process starts. When that happens - cookies that were
set in the main window may be unavailable inside this new popup window, they
just have blank values.
I've already tried all samples from previous posts and all seems to be
working just fine for me. No luck with "No Add-Ons" mode, disabling
third-party extensions or safe mode.

My guess is iexplore process that *sometimes* starts when popup is being open.
What i mean is there are now multiple iexplore processes sharing the same
working session. When pretty much any website loads, its 2 or 3 iexplore
processes being started for it.

The problem is hard to continuously reproduce because i have no control on
how many iexplore processes are going to get started when window.open is
used. All my simple examples open new window using the same existing 2-3
iexplore processes and cookie is in there just fine.

Our live application on the other hand is quite intensive (lots of included
iframes, heavy asp pages with sql and ajax, thousands and thousands lines of
code) and i guess that may be the reason of why existing iexplore processes
"aren't enough" when new window gets open with window.open.

The other thing is that we use response and request asp obects to set those
cookies. Cookies that are set on client side with a script appear to stay
just fine when the others have empty values in request.cookies collection.
Again, this only happens when new iexplore process started for popup window.
I can't attach these all things together yet but it seems to be related.

This has never happend with previous IE versions until IE8 appeared

rob^_^

Re: cookies unavilable inside popup window on IE8 RC1
Hi Max,

It sounds like some of your popups windows are using iframes (third-party
content). Google Adsense (inserts an iframe to host the ad panel)?

You can use the Developer Tool in your popup windows to inspect what is
happening. Click on the popup title bar to give it focus. Press F12 to
display the developer tool.

In the script console you can enter script snippets to retrieve the cookie
crumbs. Inspect the DOM

That it occurs sporadically indicates that it may be one of your IE settings
or a third-party ad-blocker or your Hosts file (check with your network
administrators if this occurring) is the issue.

Check your Privacy and security settings. Ensure that InPrivate Filtering is
off.

Start by doing a REIS (Advanced tab of Internet Options, Reset button) to
reset IE's settings to their factory defaults and cleaning your cache. Then
start your detective work.
Oh, you could also create a new user account on your machine and then start
from there.

Regards.

"Max Emdat" <Max Emdat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are seing weird behavior with cookies on IE8 RC1.
>
> Sometimes, when a new window opens from the website using window.open -
> there is new iexplore process starts. When that happens - cookies that
> were
> set in the main window may be unavailable inside this new popup window,
> they
> just have blank values.
> I've already tried all samples from previous posts and all seems to be
> working just fine for me. No luck with "No Add-Ons" mode, disabling
> third-party extensions or safe mode.
>
> My guess is iexplore process that *sometimes* starts when popup is being
> open.
> What i mean is there are now multiple iexplore processes sharing the same
> working session. When pretty much any website loads, its 2 or 3 iexplore
> processes being started for it.
>
> The problem is hard to continuously reproduce because i have no control on
> how many iexplore processes are going to get started when window.open is
> used. All my simple examples open new window using the same existing 2-3
> iexplore processes and cookie is in there just fine.
>
> Our live application on the other hand is quite intensive (lots of
> included
> iframes, heavy asp pages with sql and ajax, thousands and thousands lines
> of
> code) and i guess that may be the reason of why existing iexplore
> processes
> "aren't enough" when new window gets open with window.open.
>
> The other thing is that we use response and request asp obects to set
> those
> cookies. Cookies that are set on client side with a script appear to stay
> just fine when the others have empty values in request.cookies collection.
> Again, this only happens when new iexplore process started for popup
> window.
> I can't attach these all things together yet but it seems to be related.
>
> This has never happend with previous IE versions until IE8 appeared

Max Emdat

Re: cookies unavilable inside popup window on IE8 RC1
Thanks Rob for ideas!

The popup window may not have iframe and still won't have cookies...

I ran IE8 in no add-ons mode to be sure nothing is gonna get attached.
I've cleared everything multiple times and reset IE to factory settings it
all doesn't help.

Hosts file is the same for IE7 and IE8 and it works just fine on IE7 (or
even IE6), its only IE8 that brings the problem.

It happens only when popup starts new iexplore process. It works well when
it doesn't happen.

Also the problem happens on any Vista+IE8 RC1 machine, I have clean install
of Vista with IE8 and it still doesn't work.

Do you think it worth opening a ticket with MS?

"rob^_^" wrote:

> [...]
> > included
> > iframes, heavy asp pages with sql and ajax, thousands and thousands lines
> > of
> > code) and i guess that may be the reason of why existing iexplore
> > processes
> > "aren't enough" when new window gets open with window.open.
> >
> > The other thing is that we use response and request asp obects to set
> > those
> > cookies. Cookies that are set on client side with a script appear to stay
> > just fine when the others have empty values in request.cookies collection.
> > Again, this only happens when new iexplore process started for popup
> > window.
> > I can't attach these all things together yet but it seems to be related.
> >
> > This has never happend with previous IE versions until IE8 appeared

Re: cookies unavilable inside popup window on IE8 RC1
IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta

Via the web-interface:

Via your newsreader:

Yes, IE8 RC1 is still a beta.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Max Emdat wrote:
> We are seing weird behavior with cookies on IE8 RC1...

Max Emdat

Re: cookies unavilable inside popup window on IE8 RC1
thanks, will post in internetexplorer.beta group now

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta
>
> Via the web-interface:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xplorer. beta
>
> Via your newsreader:
>
> Yes, IE8 RC1 is still a beta.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Max Emdat wrote:
> > We are seing weird behavior with cookies on IE8 RC1...

rob^_^

Re: cookies unavilable inside popup window on IE8 RC1
Hi Max,

If you are registered with connect as a beta tester you will be able to
raise tickets. Otherwise please post your test page link to the IE8 Beta NG
and we can raise the ticket for you.

You will need a well crafted test case that is publicly accessible that will
easily reproduce the issue.