Red 'X' on computer icon?

Phil

Red 'X' on computer icon?
Hi,
I connect to the internet with a dial up connection. Starting yesterday
when I
connect to the internet the network computer icon in the task bar has the
red X on it. If I put the mouse on the icon it states not connected, but I
am connected. If I right click on the icon and try to connect the connect
window comes up with only a disconnect option.
Can someone tell me what's going on and how to fix the problem? I'm running
Vista Home Premium and IE 7.
Thanks,

--
Phil

Re: Red 'X' on computer icon?
[Forwarded to Vista Networking newsgroup via crosspost]

Phil wrote:
> Hi,
> I connect to the internet with a dial up connection. Starting yesterday
> when I
> connect to the internet the network computer icon in the task bar has the
> red X on it. If I put the mouse on the icon it states not connected, but
> am connected. If I right click on the icon and try to connect the connect
> window comes up with only a disconnect option.
> Can someone tell me what's going on and how to fix the problem? I'm
> running
> Vista Home Premium and IE 7.
> Thanks,

Robert Wolfe

Re: Red 'X' on computer icon?
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> [Forwarded to Vista Networking newsgroup via crosspost]
>
> Phil wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I connect to the internet with a dial up connection. Starting yesterday
>> when I
>> connect to the internet the network computer icon in the task bar has
>> the
>> red X on it. If I put the mouse on the icon it states not connected,
>> but I
>> am connected. If I right click on the icon and try to connect the
>> connect
>> window comes up with only a disconnect option.
>> Can someone tell me what's going on and how to fix the problem? I'm
>> running
>> Vista Home Premium and IE 7.
>> Thanks,

Does your computer have a wireless networking adapter in it and if so,
are you sure it isn't trying to connect to a nearby wireless access
point or router?
Phil

Re: Red 'X' on computer icon?
Hi,
Thanks for your response. Yes, I do have a wireless adapter, but it doesn't
matter if it is turned on or off the red X is still there. Also, where I
live there is no wireless to even close to me.
Thanks,
--
Phil