Save Target As not working in IE for unknown file types

Jay-pm

Save Target As not working in IE for unknown file types
Hi,

I have a page where I have uploaded files of type .cdr(coreldraw files).
When I right click and click on Save Target as, it gives me error Internet
Explorer cannot download this file. Either the site is unavailable or cannot
be found. But I am able to do Save target as for .doc,.xls, .pdf, .txt, .gif,
..jpeg files. My content advisor is disabled.

Could you please provide me with a solution to this. Will be most thankful
for the same.

Thanks and regards,

Jay
rob^_^

Re: Save Target As not working in IE for unknown file types
Hi Jay,

First up - IE version?

Unknown file types? I assume that you do not have a file association on your
machine for this filetype? Is it correctly associated with coreldraw?

There is a security setting (Internet Options>Security tab) for "Launching
applications and unsafe files", but cdr is not in the internal list of
unsafe file types.
Earlier IE versions allowed Group Policy settings to maintain this internal
list of unsafe file extensions.

Is your download link on your web page a simple link or are using server
side code to stream the file back to the client. What is your Mime-type?

The address of your web page would be most helpful.

Regards.

"Jay-pm" <Jaypm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a page where I have uploaded files of type .cdr(coreldraw files).
> When I right click and click on Save Target as, it gives me error Internet
> Explorer cannot download this file. Either the site is unavailable or
> cannot
> be found. But I am able to do Save target as for .doc,.xls, .pdf, .txt,
> .gif,
> .jpeg files. My content advisor is disabled.
>
> Could you please provide me with a solution to this. Will be most thankful
> for the same.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Jay

rob^_^

Re: Save Target As not working in IE for unknown file types
Hi again,

Also there is a security setting for "Open files based on content, not file
extension"

Regards.

"Jay-pm" <Jaypm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a page where I have uploaded files of type .cdr(coreldraw files).
> When I right click and click on Save Target as, it gives me error Internet
> Explorer cannot download this file. Either the site is unavailable or
> cannot
> be found. But I am able to do Save target as for .doc,.xls, .pdf, .txt,
> .gif,
> .jpeg files. My content advisor is disabled.
>
> Could you please provide me with a solution to this. Will be most thankful
> for the same.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Jay

Jay-pm

Re: Save Target As not working in IE for unknown file types
Hi,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I am using IE 7.0 but it is not working in IE
6.0 too.

Also, my files are uploaded on the Win 2003 server and I as a client can
download the file by way of Save Target as. Server does not have any
coreldraw.

You can check this link where i have put a sample cdr file for download. The
file and the cdr file exist in the same directory.
The link is http://www.aloha-usa.com/acms/download.html.

Please revert. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jay

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Jay,
>
> First up - IE version?
>
> Unknown file types? I assume that you do not have a file association on your
> machine for this filetype? Is it correctly associated with coreldraw?
>
> There is a security setting (Internet Options>Security tab) for "Launching
> applications and unsafe files", but cdr is not in the internal list of
> unsafe file types.
> Earlier IE versions allowed Group Policy settings to maintain this internal
> list of unsafe file extensions.
>
> Is your download link on your web page a simple link or are using server
> side code to stream the file back to the client. What is your Mime-type?
>
> The address of your web page would be most helpful.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Jay-pm" <Jaypm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a page where I have uploaded files of type .cdr(coreldraw files).
> > When I right click and click on Save Target as, it gives me error Internet
> > Explorer cannot download this file. Either the site is unavailable or
> > cannot
> > be found. But I am able to do Save target as for .doc,.xls, .pdf, .txt,
> > .gif,
> > .jpeg files. My content advisor is disabled.
> >
> > Could you please provide me with a solution to this. Will be most thankful
> > for the same.
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> > Jay

rob^_^

Re: Save Target As not working in IE for unknown file types
Hi Jay,

This link does not work ( syntax error... onrclick?)

<A href="cup.cdr" name="cup.cdr" title="Cup" onclick="javascript:return
false" onrclick="self.location.href='cup.cdr'">cup.cdr (uncompressed
18K)</A>

should be

<A href="cup.cdr" name="cup.cdr" title="Cup">cup.cdr (uncompressed 18K)</A>

Always pass your markup through a markup validator.... validate.w3c.org

You Corel web publishing software should have menu options to do this for
you before you upload your web pages to a server.

> Hi,
> Thanks for the prompt reply. I am using IE 7.0 but it is not working in IE
> 6.0 too.
>
> Also, my files are uploaded on the Win 2003 server and I as a client can
> download the file by way of Save Target as. Server does not have any
> coreldraw.
>
> You can check this link where i have put a sample cdr file for download.
> The
> file and the cdr file exist in the same directory.
> The link is http://www.aloha-usa.com/acms/download.html.
>
> Please revert. Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jay
>

> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> Hi Jay,
>>
>> First up - IE version?
>>
>> Unknown file types? I assume that you do not have a file association on
>> your
>> machine for this filetype? Is it correctly associated with coreldraw?
>>
>> There is a security setting (Internet Options>Security tab) for
>> "Launching
>> applications and unsafe files", but cdr is not in the internal list of
>> unsafe file types.
>> Earlier IE versions allowed Group Policy settings to maintain this
>> internal
>> list of unsafe file extensions.
>>
>> Is your download link on your web page a simple link or are using server
>> side code to stream the file back to the client. What is your Mime-type?
>>
>> The address of your web page would be most helpful.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "Jay-pm" <Jaypm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have a page where I have uploaded files of type .cdr(coreldraw
>> > files).
>> > When I right click and click on Save Target as, it gives me error
>> > Internet
>> > Explorer cannot download this file. Either the site is unavailable or
>> > cannot
>> > be found. But I am able to do Save target as for .doc,.xls, .pdf, .txt,
>> > .gif,
>> > .jpeg files. My content advisor is disabled.
>> >
>> > Could you please provide me with a solution to this. Will be most
>> > thankful
>> > for the same.
>> >
>> > Thanks and regards,
>> >
>> > Jay

Jay-pm

Re: Save Target As not working in IE for unknown file types
Hi,

I have changed the link as you mentioned. It still does not work. Also this
code is used in corel site. I am able to do Save Target as from that site. Is
there anything that i need to set in my IIS to allow al filetypes to be able
to do Save target as? Not only for .cdr, any other filetypes that can be
uploaded by users.?

The corel site is
http://product.corel.com/en/draw/10/...o_download.htm

Thanks and regards,

Jay

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Jay,
>
> This link does not work ( syntax error... onrclick?)
>
> <A href="cup.cdr" name="cup.cdr" title="Cup" onclick="javascript:return
> false" onrclick="self.location.href='cup.cdr'">cup.cdr (uncompressed
> 18K)</A>
>
> should be
>
> <A href="cup.cdr" name="cup.cdr" title="Cup">cup.cdr (uncompressed 18K)</A>
>
> Always pass your markup through a markup validator.... validate.w3c.org
>
> You Corel web publishing software should have menu options to do this for
> you before you upload your web pages to a server.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Jay-pm" <Jaypm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Thanks for the prompt reply. I am using IE 7.0 but it is not working in IE
> > 6.0 too.
> >
> > Also, my files are uploaded on the Win 2003 server and I as a client can
> > download the file by way of Save Target as. Server does not have any
> > coreldraw.
> >
> > You can check this link where i have put a sample cdr file for download.
> > The
> > file and the cdr file exist in the same directory.
> > The link is http://www.aloha-usa.com/acms/download.html.
> >
> > Please revert. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jay
> >

> > "rob^_^" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Jay,
> >>
> >> First up - IE version?
> >>
> >> Unknown file types? I assume that you do not have a file association on
> >> your
> >> machine for this filetype? Is it correctly associated with coreldraw?
> >>
> >> There is a security setting (Internet Options>Security tab) for
> >> "Launching
> >> applications and unsafe files", but cdr is not in the internal list of
> >> unsafe file types.
> >> Earlier IE versions allowed Group Policy settings to maintain this
> >> internal
> >> list of unsafe file extensions.
> >>
> >> Is your download link on your web page a simple link or are using server
> >> side code to stream the file back to the client. What is your Mime-type?
> >>
> >> The address of your web page would be most helpful.
> >>
> >> Regards.

Daniel Crichton

Re: Save Target As not working in IE for unknown file types
Requesting the file directly results in a 404 error. I see that it's an IIS
server, if the file does exist in the location then you need to get the
administrator for that IIS server to add the .CDR file extension to the MIME
mapping table to allow it to be download - IIS6 and IIS7 return a 404 error
for any file extension that is not configured explicitly as a security
feature.

Dan

Jay-pm wrote on Thu, 5 Mar 2009 02:53:05 -0800:

> Hi,

> I have changed the link as you mentioned. It still does not work. Also
> this code is used in corel site. I am able to do Save Target as from
> that site. Is there anything that i need to set in my IIS to allow al
> filetypes to be able to do Save target as? Not only for .cdr, any
> other filetypes that can be uploaded by users.?

> The corel site is
> http://product.corel.com/en/draw/10/...cs/popups/pop_
> logo_download.htm

> Thanks and regards,

> Jay

> "rob^_^" wrote:

>> Hi Jay,

>> This link does not work ( syntax error... onrclick?)

>> <A href="cup.cdr" name="cup.cdr" title="Cup"
>> onclick="javascript:return false"
>> onrclick="self.location.href='cup.cdr'">cup.cdr (uncompressed
>> 18K)</A>

>> should be

>> <A href="cup.cdr" name="cup.cdr" title="Cup">cup.cdr (uncompressed
>> 18K)</A>

>> Always pass your markup through a markup validator....
>> validate.w3c.org

>> You Corel web publishing software should have menu options to do this
>> for you before you upload your web pages to a server.

>> Regards.

>> "Jay-pm" <Jaypm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> Thanks for the prompt reply. I am using IE 7.0 but it is not working
>>> in IE
>>> 6.0 too.

>>> Also, my files are uploaded on the Win 2003 server and I as a client
>>> can download the file by way of Save Target as. Server does not have
>>> any coreldraw.

>>> You can check this link where i have put a sample cdr file for
>>> download.
>>> The file and the cdr file exist in the same directory.
>>> The link is http://www.aloha-usa.com/acms/download.html.

>>> Please revert. Thanks in advance.

>>> Regards,

>>> Jay

Jay-pm

Re: Save Target As not working in IE for unknown file types
Thanks. I did that and it is working now.

Thanks for all the help everyone provided.

Regards,

Jayashree