Creating a desktop shortcut from Internet Explorer 7

Sue

Creating a desktop shortcut from Internet Explorer 7
I cannot create a desktop shortcut from any website. I have internet
explorer 7. I can create shortcuts from any program on my computer but not
from internet explorer. It will put a shortcut on the desktop but will not
open when I try to open it. It just sits there with half a screen and
finally says that it is not responding. Is there any solution for this?
Thanks in advance.
Don Varnau

Re: Creating a desktop shortcut from Internet Explorer 7
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista?

Any changes just before the problem started, such as a new security program?

Is IE7 working OK otherwise?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I cannot create a desktop shortcut from any website. I have internet
> explorer 7. I can create shortcuts from any program on my computer but

not
> from internet explorer. It will put a shortcut on the desktop but will

not
> open when I try to open it. It just sits there with half a screen and
> finally says that it is not responding. Is there any solution for this?
> Thanks in advance.

Sue

Re: Creating a desktop shortcut from Internet Explorer 7
Windows XP. I have had this problem for almost a year and do not remember is
I added anything or changed anything just before or not. Yes IE7 working
fine otherwise. I tried today to disable my Webroot security program long
enough to try to create one but that did not work. This problem is on my
laptop. My desktop has the same security programs and it has not problem
creating shortcuts from IE7. Thanks and help if you know anything.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista?
>
> Any changes just before the problem started, such as a new security program?
>
> Is IE7 working OK otherwise?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I cannot create a desktop shortcut from any website. I have internet
> > explorer 7. I can create shortcuts from any program on my computer but

> not
> > from internet explorer. It will put a shortcut on the desktop but will

> not
> > open when I try to open it. It just sits there with half a screen and
> > finally says that it is not responding. Is there any solution for this?
> > Thanks in advance.

Don Varnau

Re: Creating a desktop shortcut from Internet Explorer 7
Hi,
1. Verify that IE is the default browser. Check that at Control Panel> Add
or remove programs> Set program access and defaults.
2. If step 1 didn't fix it... Go to
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm Download, open and merge the fix
for URL files.

> Windows XP. I have had this problem for almost a year and do not remember

is
> I added anything or changed anything just before or not. Yes IE7 working
> fine otherwise. I tried today to disable my Webroot security program

long
> enough to try to create one but that did not work. This problem is on my
> laptop. My desktop has the same security programs and it has not problem
> creating shortcuts from IE7. Thanks and help if you know anything.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Windows XP or Vista?
> >
> > Any changes just before the problem started, such as a new security

program?

> > Is IE7 working OK otherwise?

> > "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I cannot create a desktop shortcut from any website. I have internet
> > > explorer 7. I can create shortcuts from any program on my computer

but
> > not
> > > from internet explorer. It will put a shortcut on the desktop but

will
> > not
> > > open when I try to open it. It just sits there with half a screen and
> > > finally says that it is not responding. Is there any solution for

this?
> > > Thanks in advance.

Sue

Re: Creating a desktop shortcut from Internet Explorer 7
Hi Don,
I thank you for your help. I verified that IE was my default browser. It
was. Next I went to the dougknox.com website and downloaded, opened and
merged the URL fix. Sorry to say that it did not work. I tried to create a
shortcut and it still would not do it. Anymore suggestions? Thank you in
advance.

Sue

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> 1. Verify that IE is the default browser. Check that at Control Panel> Add
> or remove programs> Set program access and defaults.
> 2. If step 1 didn't fix it... Go to
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm Download, open and merge the fix
> for URL files.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows XP. I have had this problem for almost a year and do not remember

> is
> > I added anything or changed anything just before or not. Yes IE7 working
> > fine otherwise. I tried today to disable my Webroot security program

> long
> > enough to try to create one but that did not work. This problem is on my
> > laptop. My desktop has the same security programs and it has not problem
> > creating shortcuts from IE7. Thanks and help if you know anything.

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Windows XP or Vista?
> > >
> > > Any changes just before the problem started, such as a new security

> program?
> > >
> > > Is IE7 working OK otherwise?

> > > "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> but
> > > not

> will
> > > not

> this?

Re: Creating a desktop shortcut from Internet Explorer 7
WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If SP3, which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Sue wrote:
> Hi Don,
> I thank you for your help. I verified that IE was my default browser. It
> was. Next I went to the dougknox.com website and downloaded, opened and
> merged the URL fix. Sorry to say that it did not work. I tried to create
> shortcut and it still would not do it. Anymore suggestions? Thank you in
> advance.
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>> 1. Verify that IE is the default browser. Check that at Control Panel>
>> Add
>> or remove programs> Set program access and defaults.
>> 2. If step 1 didn't fix it... Go to
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm Download, open and merge the
>> fix
>> for URL files.
>>
>>> Windows XP. I have had this problem for almost a year and do not
>>> remember is I added anything or changed anything just before or not.
>>> Yes
>>> IE7 working fine otherwise. I tried today to disable my Webroot
>>> security
>>> program long enough to try to create one but that did not work. This
>>> problem is on my laptop. My desktop has the same security programs and
>>> it has not problem creating shortcuts from IE7. Thanks and help if you
>>> know anything.

Sue

Re: Creating a desktop shortcut from Internet Explorer 7
Thank you PA Bear for responding to my request. I have WinXP SP3. I am not
sure but I am almost positive that IE7 was installed before SP3. Thank you.

Sue

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If SP3, which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Sue wrote:
> > Hi Don,
> > I thank you for your help. I verified that IE was my default browser. It
> > was. Next I went to the dougknox.com website and downloaded, opened and
> > merged the URL fix. Sorry to say that it did not work. I tried to create
> > shortcut and it still would not do it. Anymore suggestions? Thank you in
> > advance.
> >
> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >> 1. Verify that IE is the default browser. Check that at Control Panel>
> >> Add
> >> or remove programs> Set program access and defaults.
> >> 2. If step 1 didn't fix it... Go to
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm Download, open and merge the
> >> fix
> >> for URL files.

Re: Creating a desktop shortcut from Internet Explorer 7
Since you've been having this problem for "almost a year," may we assume the
problem existed before you installed SP3?

1. Open the IE window in which you're reading this such that your desktop is
visible in the background, then "grab" the icon at the very beginning of
the URL in Address Bar and "drag" it to your desktop.

2. Now close IE then click on the desktop shortcut you just created: Does a
new IE window open (to your thread)?

Sue wrote:
> Thank you PA Bear for responding to my request. I have WinXP SP3. I am
> not
> sure but I am almost positive that IE7 was installed before SP3. Thank
> you.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If SP3, which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Sue wrote:
>>> Hi Don,
>>> I thank you for your help. I verified that IE was my default browser.
>>> It
>>> was. Next I went to the dougknox.com website and downloaded, opened and
>>> merged the URL fix. Sorry to say that it did not work. I tried to
>>> create
>>> shortcut and it still would not do it. Anymore suggestions? Thank you
>>> in
>>> advance.

Sue

Re: Creating a desktop shortcut from Internet Explorer 7
I did as you suggested and the same thing happens. A new window opens but it
does not go anywhere. There is an address bar there with no web address in
it. It looks like a skeleton internet screen. I am almost certain that this
problem existed before I installed SP3. I do appreciate your help with this.

Sue

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Since you've been having this problem for "almost a year," may we assume the
> problem existed before you installed SP3?
>
> 1. Open the IE window in which you're reading this such that your desktop is
> visible in the background, then "grab" the icon at the very beginning of
> the URL in Address Bar and "drag" it to your desktop.
>
> 2. Now close IE then click on the desktop shortcut you just created: Does a
> new IE window open (to your thread)?
>
> Sue wrote:
> > Thank you PA Bear for responding to my request. I have WinXP SP3. I am
> > not
> > sure but I am almost positive that IE7 was installed before SP3. Thank
> > you.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If SP3, which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Creating a desktop shortcut from Internet Explorer 7
Let's verify that IE's configured to be the default browser (again):

1. [Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | ] Set Program Access and Defaults
| Expand the double-arrow to the immediate right of the configuration that's
*already checked* here | Default browser: Select "Internet Explorer" here,
not "Use my current browser."

1b. Now check your settings here, too: IE Tools | Internet Options |
Programs | Default web browser.

If no joy, see:

2a. http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx (NB: Sometimes DDE needs to be uncheck)

2b. Hyperlinks do not work in Outlook Express after you upgrade to Internet
Explorer 7 (slightly different from #2a)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929867

[Ignore the references to OE in #2a and #2b above.]