How to close just current tab, when click on the window close box?

james

How to close just current tab, when click on the window close box?
When multiple tabs are present and I click on the close window box on the
top right corner, IE7 intelligently ask if I want to close all tabs.

It would be even more impressive if it gives the option to close the current
tab, because 99% of the time that is what I want to do. I look around in the
advance option but did not see this feature. Is it possible for a browser
plug-in to provide this functionality?

Leonard Grey

Re: How to close just current tab, when click on the window closebox?
It may be what /you/ want to do 99% of the time, but not necessarily so
for everyone else. That's particularly true for people who are new to
working with tabs - as most IE 7 users are - and you're accustomed to
X-ing out of windows.

The other problem with that idea: After the current tab is closed, what
then becomes the current tab?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

james wrote:
> When multiple tabs are present and I click on the close window box on
> the top right corner, IE7 intelligently ask if I want to close all tabs.
>
> It would be even more impressive if it gives the option to close the
> current tab, because 99% of the time that is what I want to do. I look
> around in the advance option but did not see this feature. Is it
> possible for a browser plug-in to provide this functionality?

Daniel Crichton

james wrote on Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:51:42 -0800:

> When multiple tabs are present and I click on the close window box on
> the top right corner, IE7 intelligently ask if I want to close all
> tabs.

> It would be even more impressive if it gives the option to close the
> current tab, because 99% of the time that is what I want to do. I look
> around in the advance option but did not see this feature. Is it
> possible for a browser plug-in to provide this functionality?

You just need to teach yourself to click the X on the tab, and not the X on
the IE window

--
Dan

VanguardLH

james wrote:

> When multiple tabs are present and I click on the close window box on the
> top right corner, IE7 intelligently ask if I want to close all tabs.
>
> It would be even more impressive if it gives the option to close the current
> tab, because 99% of the time that is what I want to do. I look around in the
> advance option but did not see this feature. Is it possible for a browser
> plug-in to provide this functionality?

Why are you closing the web browser when all you want to close is the
tab panel inside of it?

For the currently focused tab, there is an "X" hotspot in the tab. Use
that to close the tab.

If you don't want to first change focus to a tab to then get the "X" to
close it, just middle-click on the tab. This assumes your mouse is
configured so the middle button performs a middle-click action. If not,
right-click on the tab and select Close.

Re: How to close just current tab, when click on the window close box?
Patient (demonstrating): "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Don't do that."

Don't do that.

james wrote:
> When multiple tabs are present and I click on the close window box on the
> top right corner, IE7 intelligently ask if I want to close all tabs.
>
> It would be even more impressive if it gives the option to close the
> current
> tab, because 99% of the time that is what I want to do. I look around in
> the
> advance option but did not see this feature. Is it possible for a browser
> plug-in to provide this functionality?

james

Re: How to close just current tab, when click on the window close box?

> You just need to teach yourself to click the X on the tab, and not the X
> on the IE window

Now when I want to close the browser, I have to check to see how many tabs
are present. If there is one tab, then I click the X on top right corner. If
there are more than one tabs, then I have to click the X on the tab.

It would be less work if the computer does this check so that when I click
the X on top right corner, *it* checks to see how many tabs are present.

The idea of having computers is to offload human work to the computer.

Steve Hebert

Re: How to close just current tab, when click on the window close box?
IE8 does this.

Steve

james wrote on Sat, 4 Apr 2009 07:14:38 -0700:

>> You just need to teach yourself to click the X on the tab, and not
>> the X on the IE window

> Now when I want to close the browser, I have to check to see how many
> tabs are present. If there is one tab, then I click the X on top right
> corner. If there are more than one tabs, then I have to click the X on
> the tab.

> It would be less work if the computer does this check so that when I
> click the X on top right corner, *it* checks to see how many tabs are
> present.

> The idea of having computers is to offload human work to the computer.

The idea is to have a consistent user interface. The X at the top right of
any window is there to close that window (which in most cases is to close
the entire application). If you have multiple spreadsheets open in Excel and
you click that X it does the same as IE - it closes all instances of Excel.
Same with non-MS apps too, at least all the ones I use. Why should IE be
different? And so far you appear to be the only person who's posted saying
it should work this way in this newsgroup - personally I'd find it very odd
if I wanted to close the browser and instead had to keep clicking the red X
because IE only closed the current tab.

Maybe you should look at disabling tabs, that way every page you view is in
it's own IE instance and so clicking the red X will close that instance
only, leaving the other IE instances running.

--
Dan

Daniel Crichton

Daniel wrote to james on Mon, 6 Apr 2009 10:42:05 +0100:

> james wrote on Sat, 4 Apr 2009 07:14:38 -0700:

>>> You just need to teach yourself to click the X on the tab, and not
>>> the X on the IE window

>> Now when I want to close the browser, I have to check to see how many
>> tabs are present. If there is one tab, then I click the X on top
>> right corner. If there are more than one tabs, then I have to click
>> the X on the tab.

>> It would be less work if the computer does this check so that when I
>> click the X on top right corner, *it* checks to see how many tabs
>> are present.

>> The idea of having computers is to offload human work to the
>> computer.

> The idea is to have a consistent user interface. The X at the top right
> of any window is there to close that window (which in most cases is to
> close the entire application). If you have multiple spreadsheets open
> in Excel and you click that X it does the same as IE - it closes all
> instances of Excel. Same with non-MS apps too, at least all the ones I
> use. Why should IE
> be different? And so far you appear to be the only person who's posted
> saying it should work this way in this newsgroup - personally I'd find
> it very odd if I wanted to close the browser and instead had to keep
> clicking the red X because IE only closed the current tab.

> Maybe you should look at disabling tabs, that way every page you view
> is in it's own IE instance and so clicking the red X will close that
> instance only, leaving the other IE instances running.

> --
> Dan

In addition, Steve Hebert hit upon the solution - install IE8 and you'll
have the option you want. MS won't add any new features to IE7 - development
is over, only security patches will be released now.

--
Dan