No connection to World Wide Web

Rick

No connection to World Wide Web
I recently went from a dial-up to ethernet connection. I am using Vista
Business with IE7. When I start IE7 it produces the error message "Internet
Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage". When I click on "Diagnose Connection
Problem" I get the following error message:

"www.juno.com" is not set up to establish a connection on port "World Wide
Web Serive (HTTP)" with this computer.

After this error message it displays a software tool for manually changing
proxy server settings.

I've tried the appropriate diagnosis procedures with no luck. Can anyone
help me?
Leonard Grey

Re: No connection to World Wide Web
Can your ISP help?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Rick wrote:
> I recently went from a dial-up to ethernet connection. I am using Vista
> Business with IE7. When I start IE7 it produces the error message "Internet
> Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage". When I click on "Diagnose Connection
> Problem" I get the following error message:
>
> "www.juno.com" is not set up to establish a connection on port "World Wide
> Web Serive (HTTP)" with this computer.
>
> After this error message it displays a software tool for manually changing
> proxy server settings.
>
> I've tried the appropriate diagnosis procedures with no luck. Can anyone
> help me?

Rick

Re: No connection to World Wide Web
My ISP has been no help. But I don't think it's the network. I've tried
several networks and each produced the same result. All of my other programs
that use the internet have no problem with the network. The problem is
definitely IE7.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Can your ISP help?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Rick wrote:
> > I recently went from a dial-up to ethernet connection. I am using Vista
> > Business with IE7. When I start IE7 it produces the error message "Internet
> > Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage". When I click on "Diagnose Connection
> > Problem" I get the following error message:
> >
> > "www.juno.com" is not set up to establish a connection on port "World Wide
> > Web Serive (HTTP)" with this computer.
> >
> > After this error message it displays a software tool for manually changing
> > proxy server settings.
> >
> > I've tried the appropriate diagnosis procedures with no luck. Can anyone
> > help me?

Re: No connection to World Wide Web
[Crossposted to Vista Networking]

Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 right now? Do you connect via the modem
or a router? Do other machines using the same connection also have this
problem?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

In no certain order:

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Rick wrote:
> My ISP has been no help. But I don't think it's the network. I've tried
> several networks and each produced the same result. All of my other
> programs that use the internet have no problem with the network. The
> problem is definitely IE7.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>> Can your ISP help?
>>
>> Rick wrote:
>>> I recently went from a dial-up to ethernet connection. I am using Vista
>>> Business with IE7. When I start IE7 it produces the error message
>>> "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage". When I click on
>>> "Diagnose Connection Problem" I get the following error message:
>>>
>>> "www.juno.com" is not set up to establish a connection on port "World
>>> Wide
>>> Web Serive (HTTP)" with this computer.
>>>
>>> After this error message it displays a software tool for manually
>>> changing
>>> proxy server settings.
>>>
>>> I've tried the appropriate diagnosis procedures with no luck. Can
>>> anyone
>>> help me?

Rick

Re: No connection to World Wide Web
Thank you very much for your help. Using the diagnostic procedure you gave
me a link to, I've determined that the problem is a corrupt user account.
I'd rather not transfer all of my data to a new one if I can help it. Also,
transferring corrupted the new account I tried. So, what should I be looking
for in a corrupt user account?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to Vista Networking]
>
> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 right now? Do you connect via the modem
> or a router? Do other machines using the same connection also have this
> problem?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> In no certain order:
>
> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
>
> How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215
>
> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
>
> Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Rick wrote:
> > My ISP has been no help. But I don't think it's the network. I've tried
> > several networks and each produced the same result. All of my other
> > programs that use the internet have no problem with the network. The
> > problem is definitely IE7.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >> Can your ISP help?

Re: No connection to World Wide Web
Repost:
>> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 right now? Do you connect via the
>> modem
>> or a router? Do other machines using the same connection also have this
>> problem?

>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

~PA Bear

Rick wrote:
> Thank you very much for your help. Using the diagnostic procedure you
> gave
> me a link to, I've determined that the problem is a corrupt user account.
> I'd rather not transfer all of my data to a new one if I can help it.
> Also,
> transferring corrupted the new account I tried. So, what should I be
> looking for in a corrupt user account?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Crossposted to Vista Networking]
>>
>> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 right now? Do you connect via the
>> modem
>> or a router? Do other machines using the same connection also have this
>> problem?

>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> In no certain order:
>>
>> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
>>
>> How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215
>>
>> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
>>
>> Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided
>> Help) http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Rick wrote:
>>> My ISP has been no help. But I don't think it's the network. I've
>>> tried
>>> several networks and each produced the same result. All of my other
>>> programs that use the internet have no problem with the network. The
>>> problem is definitely IE7.

Rick

Re: No connection to World Wide Web
I'm running Vista SP1 and connect via a cable modem. There are no other
machines using the same connection. I am running Norton Anti-Virus and the
subscription is up to date. Defender is the only anti-spyware program I am
running and I do not have a third-party firewall. McAfee anti-virus software
was on the computer when I first bought it.

It's obvious that one of more files that IE is using is causing it to behave
badly. Any idea what those files might be?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Repost:
> >> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 right now? Do you connect via the
> >> modem
> >> or a router? Do other machines using the same connection also have this
> >> problem?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Rick wrote:
> > Thank you very much for your help. Using the diagnostic procedure you
> > gave
> > me a link to, I've determined that the problem is a corrupt user account.
> > I'd rather not transfer all of my data to a new one if I can help it.
> > Also,
> > transferring corrupted the new account I tried. So, what should I be
> > looking for in a corrupt user account?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [Crossposted to Vista Networking]
> >>
> >> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 right now? Do you connect via the
> >> modem
> >> or a router? Do other machines using the same connection also have this
> >> problem?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >>
> >> In no certain order:
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215
> >>
> >> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
> >>
> >> Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided
> >> Help) http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: No connection to World Wide Web
1a. Please make absolutely certain that the NAV version does not include a
firewall. If it does, disable either the Norton firewall or the Windows
Firewall (but not both).

1b. If you've upgraded to the current NAV version from an earlier version of
a Norton application (e.g., from NIS 2007 to NAV 2009), please tell me.

> ...McAfee anti-virus software was on the computer when I first bought it.

2. Do Steps #1 (if necessary) and #2 of this three-step fix, then REBOOT:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
--
~PA Bear