IE gone south.

Yba

IE gone south.
Hi,
Due to an unkown reason, IE 6 has gone south. Pages never open properly and
for the first time, XP hangs up completely taking me back to the 9x/Me era.
So, I thought it was time to grab IE 8 beta and give it a try and so I did.
Frankly, system hangup dwindled but pages still do not open well. There is
always that "Done, but with errors on page" alert in IE status bar. This is
ALWAYS the case now.
How can I possibly fix this, knowing that:
1 - I'm running XP Pro SP3.
2 - No valuable data in event viewer for those hangups.
3 - I removed/added it from Windows Add/Remove Components.
4 - The error has always to do with something.js (Java script i assume).
5 - I reinstalled/updated Java RE.
6 - I am using another system's IE to type this post.

Any help is highly appreciated,

Regars
Yba

Is there away to remove and install IE alone, knowing that it is an OS
component?
Don Varnau

Re: IE gone south.
Hi,
If pages are displaying properly, these JavaScript errors may be
inconsequential and should be ignored.
These settings work for most users:
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced...
Check "Disable script debugging" and uncheck "Display a notification about
every script error."

Next step:
Java JRE doesn't handle JavaScript- Windows Script does. You can
re-download/refresh Windows Script.

Go to
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7vbbgH0A%3d%3d
or (shortened)
http://snurl.com/26xlv
for Windows Script 5.7 for XP.

Next step:
Go to IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable all non-microsoft add-ons. Does the
problem go away? If so, re-enable one add-on at a time until the problem
returns. The last one to be enabled is the culprit. Options are to reinstall
that add-on. If that doesn't resolve the issue, stop using it.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Yba" <Yba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Due to an unkown reason, IE 6 has gone south. Pages never open properly

and
> for the first time, XP hangs up completely taking me back to the 9x/Me

era.
> So, I thought it was time to grab IE 8 beta and give it a try and so I

did.
> Frankly, system hangup dwindled but pages still do not open well. There

is
> always that "Done, but with errors on page" alert in IE status bar. This

is
> ALWAYS the case now.
> How can I possibly fix this, knowing that:
> 1 - I'm running XP Pro SP3.
> 2 - No valuable data in event viewer for those hangups.
> 3 - I removed/added it from Windows Add/Remove Components.
> 4 - The error has always to do with something.js (Java script i assume).
> 5 - I reinstalled/updated Java RE.
> 6 - I am using another system's IE to type this post.
>
> Any help is highly appreciated,
>
> Regars
> Yba
>
> Is there away to remove and install IE alone, knowing that it is an OS
> component?

Yba

Re: IE gone south.
Hi,
I reiterate. IE is not working properly. Some pages open and some do not.
Hotmail, for example, opens, lists emails but never opens any of those emails.
For the Tools --> Advanced check boxes, they are already as advised.
For Windows Scripts, I downloaded them but as I already have SP3, they would
not install.
For Add-ons, I disabled them all except Microsoft. Things are better now.
I am using my system to reply. However, as said above, I still have some
problems.

Any further insight please?

Thanks
Yba

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> If pages are displaying properly, these JavaScript errors may be
> inconsequential and should be ignored.
> These settings work for most users:
> From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced...
> Check "Disable script debugging" and uncheck "Display a notification about
> every script error."
>
> Next step:
> Java JRE doesn't handle JavaScript- Windows Script does. You can
> re-download/refresh Windows Script.
>
> Go to
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7vbbgH0A%3d%3d
> or (shortened)
> http://snurl.com/26xlv
> for Windows Script 5.7 for XP.
>
> Next step:
> Go to IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable all non-microsoft add-ons. Does the
> problem go away? If so, re-enable one add-on at a time until the problem
> returns. The last one to be enabled is the culprit. Options are to reinstall
> that add-on. If that doesn't resolve the issue, stop using it.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Yba" <Yba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Due to an unkown reason, IE 6 has gone south. Pages never open properly

> and
> > for the first time, XP hangs up completely taking me back to the 9x/Me

> era.
> > So, I thought it was time to grab IE 8 beta and give it a try and so I

> did.
> > Frankly, system hangup dwindled but pages still do not open well. There

> is
> > always that "Done, but with errors on page" alert in IE status bar. This

> is
> > ALWAYS the case now.
> > How can I possibly fix this, knowing that:
> > 1 - I'm running XP Pro SP3.
> > 2 - No valuable data in event viewer for those hangups.
> > 3 - I removed/added it from Windows Add/Remove Components.
> > 4 - The error has always to do with something.js (Java script i assume).
> > 5 - I reinstalled/updated Java RE.
> > 6 - I am using another system's IE to type this post.
> >
> > Any help is highly appreciated,
> >
> > Regars
> > Yba
> >
> > Is there away to remove and install IE alone, knowing that it is an OS
> > component?

Don Varnau

Re: IE gone south.
Hi,
1. Clear the Temporary Internet Files, History and Cookies (if you haven't
recently.)
2. Start re-enabling add-ons. See if the troublesome add-on reveals itself.
3. Internet Options> Advanced> Restore defaults
4. If you're running a third-party security suite and/or firewall, try
disabling it just long enough to see if Hotmail behaves differently with it
disabled.

Q. Is there a reason you haven't installed IE7?
Q. What security programs are installed and running?

> [...]

There
> > is
> > > always that "Done, but with errors on page" alert in IE status bar.

This
> > is
> > > ALWAYS the case now.
> > > How can I possibly fix this, knowing that:
> > > 1 - I'm running XP Pro SP3.
> > > 2 - No valuable data in event viewer for those hangups.
> > > 3 - I removed/added it from Windows Add/Remove Components.
> > > 4 - The error has always to do with something.js (Java script i

assume).
> > > 5 - I reinstalled/updated Java RE.
> > > 6 - I am using another system's IE to type this post.
> > >
> > > Any help is highly appreciated,
> > >
> > > Regars
> > > Yba
> > >
> > > Is there away to remove and install IE alone, knowing that it is an OS

Re: IE gone south.
1. Uninstall IE8 Beta (which will automatically return you to IE6), it's
only complicating matters unnecessarily.

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/

2. Now see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822521

3. If still no joy...

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Also see...

HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail
http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!6203.entry
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Yba wrote:
> I reiterate. IE is not working properly. Some pages open and some do
> not.
> Hotmail, for example, opens, lists emails but never opens any of those
> emails. For the Tools --> Advanced check boxes, they are already as
> advised.
> For Windows Scripts, I downloaded them but as I already have SP3, they
> would
> not install.
> For Add-ons, I disabled them all except Microsoft. Things are better now.
> I am using my system to reply. However, as said above, I still have some
> problems.
>
> Any further insight please?
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>> If pages are displaying properly, these JavaScript errors may be
>> inconsequential and should be ignored.
>> These settings work for most users:
>> From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced...
>> Check "Disable script debugging" and uncheck "Display a notification
>> about
>> every script error."
>>
>> Next step:
>> Java JRE doesn't handle JavaScript- Windows Script does. You can
>> re-download/refresh Windows Script.
>>
>> Go to
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7vbbgH0A%3d%3d
>> or (shortened)
>> http://snurl.com/26xlv
>> for Windows Script 5.7 for XP.
>>
>> Next step:
>> Go to IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable all non-microsoft add-ons. Does
>> the problem go away? If so, re-enable one add-on at a time until the
>> problem returns. The last one to be enabled is the culprit. Options are
>> reinstall that add-on. If that doesn't resolve the issue, stop using it.
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Due to an unkown reason, IE 6 has gone south. Pages never open properly
>>> and for the first time, XP hangs up completely taking me back to the
>>> 9x/Me era. So, I thought it was time to grab IE 8 beta and give it a try
>>> and so I did. Frankly, system hangup dwindled but pages still do not
>>> open
>>> well. There is always that "Done, but with errors on page" alert in IE
>>> status bar. This is ALWAYS the case now.
>>> How can I possibly fix this, knowing that:
>>> 1 - I'm running XP Pro SP3.
>>> 2 - No valuable data in event viewer for those hangups.
>>> 3 - I removed/added it from Windows Add/Remove Components.
>>> 4 - The error has always to do with something.js (Java script i assume).
>>> 5 - I reinstalled/updated Java RE.
>>> 6 - I am using another system's IE to type this post.
>>>
>>> Is there away to remove and install IE alone, knowing that it is an OS
>>> component?

Yba

Re: IE gone south.
Hi,
I have removed IE 8 and now working on 6 again.
I have also deleted cookies, temp files and restored IE defaults.
I have also completely stopped my internet protection software (Panda).
I have never used Mcafee or Norton in this system, nor any other kind of
system protection software.
Result: still not stable.
The reason I have not upgraded to IE7 is that I used it in the past and I
did not like it coz it was kinda heavier than 6. But now, if I have 1 over a
million chance that it would solve my problems, I would definitely use it.
I am thinking that reinstalling XP (upgrade option) would solve this problem
but the thing is that I have SP3 and i do not know how to reinstall XP again.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Uninstall IE8 Beta (which will automatically return you to IE6), it's
> only complicating matters unnecessarily.
>
> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/
>
> 2. Now see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822521
>
> 3. If still no joy...

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> Also see...
>
> HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail
> http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!6203.entry
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Yba wrote:
> > I reiterate. IE is not working properly. Some pages open and some do
> > not.
> > Hotmail, for example, opens, lists emails but never opens any of those
> > emails. For the Tools --> Advanced check boxes, they are already as
> > advised.
> > For Windows Scripts, I downloaded them but as I already have SP3, they
> > would
> > not install.
> > For Add-ons, I disabled them all except Microsoft. Things are better now.
> > I am using my system to reply. However, as said above, I still have some
> > problems.
> >
> > Any further insight please?
> >
> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >> If pages are displaying properly, these JavaScript errors may be
> >> inconsequential and should be ignored.
> >> These settings work for most users:
> >> From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced...
> >> Check "Disable script debugging" and uncheck "Display a notification
> >> about
> >> every script error."
> >>
> >> Next step:
> >> Java JRE doesn't handle JavaScript- Windows Script does. You can
> >> re-download/refresh Windows Script.
> >>
> >> Go to
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7vbbgH0A%3d%3d
> >> or (shortened)
> >> http://snurl.com/26xlv
> >> for Windows Script 5.7 for XP.
> >>
> >> Next step:
> >> Go to IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable all non-microsoft add-ons. Does
> >> the problem go away? If so, re-enable one add-on at a time until the
> >> problem returns. The last one to be enabled is the culprit. Options are
> >> reinstall that add-on. If that doesn't resolve the issue, stop using it.

Re: IE gone south.
> I have also completely stopped my internet protection software (Panda).

Why? What's the name & version of this application (e.g., Panda Internet
Security 2009; Panda Antivirus Pro 2009)? Have you purchased it and is your
subsciption current?

If the Panda application does NOT include a firewall, is the Windows
Firewall still enabled?

My colleague Don may have more to say but I suspect you're seeing the
affects of a hijackware infection myself.
--
~PA Bear

Yba wrote:
> Hi,
> I have removed IE 8 and now working on 6 again.
> I have also deleted cookies, temp files and restored IE defaults.
> I have also completely stopped my internet protection software (Panda).
> I have never used Mcafee or Norton in this system, nor any other kind of
> system protection software.
> Result: still not stable.
> The reason I have not upgraded to IE7 is that I used it in the past and I
> did not like it coz it was kinda heavier than 6. But now, if I have 1
> over
> a million chance that it would solve my problems, I would definitely use
> it.
> I am thinking that reinstalling XP (upgrade option) would solve this
> problem
> but the thing is that I have SP3 and i do not know how to reinstall XP
> again.
>
> Any help is highly appreciated.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> 1. Uninstall IE8 Beta (which will automatically return you to IE6), it's
>> only complicating matters unnecessarily.
>>
>> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/
>>
>> 2. Now see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822521
>>
>> 3. If still no joy...

>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> Also see...
>>
>> HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail
>> http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!6203.entry
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Yba wrote:
>>> I reiterate. IE is not working properly. Some pages open and some do
>>> not.
>>> Hotmail, for example, opens, lists emails but never opens any of those
>>> emails. For the Tools --> Advanced check boxes, they are already as
>>> advised.
>>> For Windows Scripts, I downloaded them but as I already have SP3, they
>>> would
>>> not install.
>>> For Add-ons, I disabled them all except Microsoft. Things are better
>>> now.
>>> I am using my system to reply. However, as said above, I still have
>>> some
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> Any further insight please?

Yba

Re: IE gone south.
It is Panda AV+FW 2008 authentically licensed and is up to date. And, yes,
it has its own FW and thus Windows FW is disabled. I only stopped it for a
couple of minutes to make sure it was not interferring with IE.
Hijackware? I do not know but Panda is strong enough to handle unkown stuff,
in the same strength it handles known malware.
For the record, my IE was jacked shortly before this weird behavior of
instability started. It was an add-on dll that directs google searches to a
site that reports system infection and advises installation of its own AV
software. However, none of that works with me, being informed enough of
virus tactics. I just disabled that add-on and removed the dll from
system32. I am not sure whether that incident had anything to do with this
problem I am having since then.

Any feedback guys?

Thanks
Yba

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > I have also completely stopped my internet protection software (Panda).

> Why? What's the name & version of this application (e.g., Panda Internet
> Security 2009; Panda Antivirus Pro 2009)? Have you purchased it and is your
> subsciption current?
>
> If the Panda application does NOT include a firewall, is the Windows
> Firewall still enabled?
>
> My colleague Don may have more to say but I suspect you're seeing the
> affects of a hijackware infection myself.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Yba wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have removed IE 8 and now working on 6 again.
> > I have also deleted cookies, temp files and restored IE defaults.
> > I have also completely stopped my internet protection software (Panda).
> > I have never used Mcafee or Norton in this system, nor any other kind of
> > system protection software.
> > Result: still not stable.
> > The reason I have not upgraded to IE7 is that I used it in the past and I
> > did not like it coz it was kinda heavier than 6. But now, if I have 1
> > over
> > a million chance that it would solve my problems, I would definitely use
> > it.
> > I am thinking that reinstalling XP (upgrade option) would solve this
> > problem
> > but the thing is that I have SP3 and i do not know how to reinstall XP
> > again.
> >
> > Any help is highly appreciated.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> 1. Uninstall IE8 Beta (which will automatically return you to IE6), it's
> >> only complicating matters unnecessarily.
> >>
> >> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/
> >>
> >> 2. Now see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822521
> >>
> >> 3. If still no joy...
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >>
> >> Also see...
> >>
> >> HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail
> >> http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!6203.entry
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE gone south.
> ...Panda is strong enough to handle unkown stuff,
> in the same strength it handles known malware.

versus...

> For the record, my IE was jacked shortly before this weird behavior of
> instability started. It was an add-on dll that directs google searches to
> site that reports system infection and advises installation of its own AV
> software.

The above should tell you how well the Panda suite is protecting you. In
all fairness, very few similar applications would have protected you any
better (NOD32 is one of the few).

There's no doubt in my mind now that you're seeing the (residual) affects of
a hijackware infection which is being "protected" by a rootkit. (And I'll
bet that Windows Update isn't working nor is Panda's automatic updating.)
Chances are that you'll need expert assistance to get the machine
cleaned-up, short of a format & clean install. A Repair Install will *not*
help.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm