IE Hijacked?

LMO

IE Hijacked?
Aloha. Lately, when I do IE searches, instead of going to a chosen site, IE
takes
me to some other site (Search Explorer, etc). and first says Jump.
What the heck is this, and how do I get rid of it?
Thanks.

Yba

RE: IE Hijacked?
Hi,
This might be an add-on that hooked itself to your IE and now controls your
searches. I also presume it advises that your system is infected with
viruses and that you have to download an antivirus from the following links,
etc. etc.
To treat this, go to Tools menu, look for something like "Manage add-ons"
and look for whatever add on that looks weird. When you find it, disable it
and go to /system32 and remove the dll.

HTH
Yba

"LMO" wrote:

> Aloha. Lately, when I do IE searches, instead of going to a chosen site, IE
> takes
> me to some other site (Search Explorer, etc). and first says Jump.
> What the heck is this, and how do I get rid of it?
> Thanks.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE Hijacked?
Uninstall IE 8 RC 1 and wait until the software is released.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

LMO wrote:
> Aloha. Lately, when I do IE searches, instead of going to a chosen site,
> IE takes
> me to some other site (Search Explorer, etc). and first says Jump.
> What the heck is this, and how do I get rid of it?
> Thanks.

Yba

Re: IE Hijacked?
Did he mention anything about IE 8?

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Uninstall IE 8 RC 1 and wait until the software is released.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> LMO wrote:
> > Aloha. Lately, when I do IE searches, instead of going to a chosen site,
> > IE takes
> > me to some other site (Search Explorer, etc). and first says Jump.
> > What the heck is this, and how do I get rid of it?
> > Thanks.

LMO

Re: IE Hijacked?
Matter of fact it is IE8. However, I onbly recently instaled IE*beta, and
the same thing was going on with IE7.
Thanks.

"Yba" <Yba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Did he mention anything about IE 8?
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Uninstall IE 8 RC 1 and wait until the software is released.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> LMO wrote:
>> > Aloha. Lately, when I do IE searches, instead of going to a chosen
>> > site,
>> > IE takes
>> > me to some other site (Search Explorer, etc). and first says Jump.
>> > What the heck is this, and how do I get rid of it?
>> > Thanks.

Re: IE Hijacked?
Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

LMO wrote:
> Aloha. Lately, when I do IE searches, instead of going to a chosen site,
> IE
> takes
> me to some other site (Search Explorer, etc). and first says Jump.
> What the heck is this, and how do I get rid of it?
> Thanks.

Restless

RE: IE Hijacked?

"LMO" wrote:

> Aloha. Lately, when I do IE searches, instead of going to a chosen site, IE
> takes
> me to some other site (Search Explorer, etc). and first says Jump.
> What the heck is this, and how do I get rid of it?
> Thanks.

Restless

RE: IE Hijacked?
I too tried IE8 and went back to IE7. Shortly afterward IE7 tried to open but
disappeared after about 3 seconds, never getting past the blue outline around
the edges. Kaspersky, Panda, Avira, AVG8, MSRT, Threatfire, Spybot S&D,
Adaware and others could not clean my machine. Since I could not access the
MS site for updates to IE7 because IE7 would not work and MS does not allow
other browsers to have full access to updates I don't know if I am missing
cab file or whatever. Everytime I found a way to access the Update site the
malware shut off that access point so quickly that I was not able to connect
fast enough to be effective. A call to MS support was not effective unless I
was willing to pay $59. Since only MS software is affected and I can browse
or do anything else on my machine, I declined. I would think MS would be
curious about this "bug" but maybe they already know and are trying to find a
way to defeat it. I hope so but I'm not hopeful that I can solve this without
wiping out two large hard disks and starting over. Anyone else experiencing
these symptoms? IE7 and IE8 just disappear and all contact with MS website is
defeated.

"LMO" wrote:

> Aloha. Lately, when I do IE searches, instead of going to a chosen site, IE
> takes
> me to some other site (Search Explorer, etc). and first says Jump.
> What the heck is this, and how do I get rid of it?
> Thanks.

Re: IE Hijacked?
/You/ got your machine infected, not Microsoft. (Did you call
1-866-PCSAFETY to reach MS?)

There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

Restless wrote:
> I too tried IE8 and went back to IE7. Shortly afterward IE7 tried to open
> but disappeared after about 3 seconds, never getting past the blue outline
> around the edges. Kaspersky, Panda, Avira, AVG8, MSRT, Threatfire, Spybot
> S&D, Adaware and others could not clean my machine. Since I could not
> access the MS site for updates to IE7 because IE7 would not work and MS
> does not allow other browsers to have full access to updates I don't know
> if I am missing cab file or whatever. Everytime I found a way to access
> the
> Update site the malware shut off that access point so quickly that I was
> not able to connect fast enough to be effective. A call to MS support was
> not effective unless I was willing to pay $59. Since only MS software is
> affected and I can browse or do anything else on my machine, I declined. I
> would think MS would be curious about this "bug" but maybe they already
> know and are trying to find a way to defeat it. I hope so but I'm not
> hopeful that I can solve this without wiping out two large hard disks and
> starting over. Anyone else experiencing these symptoms? IE7 and IE8 just
> disappear and all contact with MS website is defeated.
>
> "LMO" wrote:
>
>> Aloha. Lately, when I do IE searches, instead of going to a chosen site,
>> IE
>> takes
>> me to some other site (Search Explorer, etc). and first says Jump.
>> What the heck is this, and how do I get rid of it?
>> Thanks.

LMO

Re: IE Hijacked?
Thanks for the tip. That worked.