Don't, I repeat, DON'T reload pages after authorizing downloads.

Eric L. Pheterson

Don't, I repeat, DON'T reload pages after authorizing downloads.
Listen, it's fine that you screen pop-ups and file downloads. The problem is
when I allow a pop-up or a file download YOU RELOAD THE PAGE!

Let me make this very clear, it is rarely, if ever, necessary to reload the
page to allow the said pop-up or file download. More times that not you're
making it difficult for the user by doing this.

The particular site that sparked this rage is my Online Learning site for
college, eLearning. Here's what happens: I log in to the site, navigate 5-10
links deep to find a file that I need to download, then I'm prompted to allow
the download. I do.

After I allow this download, IE -UNNECESSARILY- reloads the page, causing it
to leave me back at the original homepage. This forces me to again navigate
5-10 links deep and download the same file.

WHY, MICROSOFT, WHY!?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

VanguardLH

Re: Don't, I repeat, DON'T reload pages after authorizing downloads.
Eric L. Pheterson wrote:

> Listen, it's fine that you screen pop-ups and file downloads. The problem is
> when I allow a pop-up or a file download YOU RELOAD THE PAGE!
>
> Let me make this very clear, it is rarely, if ever, necessary to reload the
> page to allow the said pop-up or file download. More times that not you're
> making it difficult for the user by doing this.
>
> The particular site that sparked this rage is my Online Learning site for
> college, eLearning. Here's what happens: I log in to the site, navigate 5-10
> links deep to find a file that I need to download, then I'm prompted to allow
> the download. I do.
>
> After I allow this download, IE -UNNECESSARILY- reloads the page, causing it
> to leave me back at the original homepage. This forces me to again navigate
> 5-10 links deep and download the same file.
>
> WHY, MICROSOFT, WHY!?

Give an example of a web page that provides a download link that results
in a repaint of that web page to either show the download dialog or
after closing the download dialog.

I'll give an example. Go to:

http://www.download.com/4t-Tray-Mini...html?tag=mncol

Click on the "Download" button. For me, this pops open a dialog window
for the download with Run, Save, and Cancel buttons (because of my
setting in IE so that I get this dialog instead of the yellow infobar).
Alternatively, you can close the yellow infobar and click the "click
here to try again" link on that web page to open the download dialog.
At that point, the web page has NOT refreshed. I click Save, pick a
save path, and start the download. The dialog window shows the progress
of the download and when it has completed. I click Close in the dialog.
The web page has still NOT refreshed. So I don't see any of this web
page refreshing that you see. That web page will eventually refresh but
not because of the download completing but because its page is coded to
do a refresh eventually, like perhaps it has a meta-refresh set to a
couple minutes. That's the page doing a refresh, not the web browser.

What happens when you load IE7 in its no add-ons mode? Maybe one of the
add-ons you installed is causing the refresh.

> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

First ask for help. Could be what you ask for is already available or
it is a problem with your setup and not a deficiency in the product.