PC slow at times

MedRxMan

PC slow at times
When going to certain sites on the internet, such a Edmunds, the pages will
take their time loading. I have checked task manager when this happens and
the CPU useage is at perhaps 20-45%. That useage is primarly iexplorer.

I would consider a reformat and re-install except the scenerio occurs on
both my laptop(wireless) and desktop (hardwire), both running WinXP PRO.
Desktop in an old pc with 640K RAM, laptop is 3 years old with 512K Ram.

I have ran adaware and a virus scan using AVAST with no issues found
I have also ran msconfig and stoped several programs from loading from each
maching without any improvement.

I just ordered 2GB RAM for the laptop hoping memory may be an issue.

Any other thoughts are appreciated?

Both machines are routinely maintained using diskcleanup and defrag,

Both machines are updated thru SP2.. I stopped updates when SP3 became
available.

Any other thoughts are appreciated?

TIA,

BL

Leonard Grey

Re: PC slow at times
Iexplorer.exe is adware.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

MedRxMan wrote:
> When going to certain sites on the internet, such a Edmunds, the pages will
> take their time loading. I have checked task manager when this happens and
> the CPU useage is at perhaps 20-45%. That useage is primarly iexplorer.
>
> I would consider a reformat and re-install except the scenerio occurs on
> both my laptop(wireless) and desktop (hardwire), both running WinXP PRO.
> Desktop in an old pc with 640K RAM, laptop is 3 years old with 512K Ram.
>
> I have ran adaware and a virus scan using AVAST with no issues found
> I have also ran msconfig and stoped several programs from loading from each
> maching without any improvement.
>
> I just ordered 2GB RAM for the laptop hoping memory may be an issue.
>
> Any other thoughts are appreciated?
>
> Both machines are routinely maintained using diskcleanup and defrag,
>
> Both machines are updated thru SP2.. I stopped updates when SP3 became
> available.
>
> Any other thoughts are appreciated?
>
> TIA,
>
> BL

MedRxMan

Re: PC slow at times
my error...I should have typer "iexplore" not "iexplorer"

iexplore.exe is internet explorer. Try closing your browser then you
shouldn't see it in tskmanger. It isn't adware, spyware or a virus.

> Iexplorer.exe is adware.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> MedRxMan wrote:
>> When going to certain sites on the internet, such a Edmunds, the pages
>> will take their time loading. I have checked task manager when this
>> happens and the CPU useage is at perhaps 20-45%. That useage is primarly
>> iexplorer.
>>
>> I would consider a reformat and re-install except the scenerio occurs on
>> both my laptop(wireless) and desktop (hardwire), both running WinXP PRO.
>> Desktop in an old pc with 640K RAM, laptop is 3 years old with 512K Ram.
>>
>> I have ran adaware and a virus scan using AVAST with no issues found
>> I have also ran msconfig and stoped several programs from loading from
>> each maching without any improvement.
>>
>> I just ordered 2GB RAM for the laptop hoping memory may be an issue.
>>
>> Any other thoughts are appreciated?
>>
>> Both machines are routinely maintained using diskcleanup and defrag,
>>
>> Both machines are updated thru SP2.. I stopped updates when SP3 became
>> available.
>>
>> Any other thoughts are appreciated?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> BL

Re: PC slow at times
> ...I stopped updates when SP3 became available.

Explain the above, please.

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

MedRxMan wrote:
> When going to certain sites on the internet, such a Edmunds, the pages
> will
> take their time loading. I have checked task manager when this happens and
> the CPU useage is at perhaps 20-45%. That useage is primarly iexplorer.
>
> I would consider a reformat and re-install except the scenerio occurs on
> both my laptop(wireless) and desktop (hardwire), both running WinXP PRO.
> Desktop in an old pc with 640K RAM, laptop is 3 years old with 512K Ram.
>
> I have ran adaware and a virus scan using AVAST with no issues found
> I have also ran msconfig and stoped several programs from loading from
> each
> maching without any improvement.
>
> I just ordered 2GB RAM for the laptop hoping memory may be an issue.
>
> Any other thoughts are appreciated?
>
> Both machines are routinely maintained using diskcleanup and defrag,
>
> Both machines are updated thru SP2.. I stopped updates when SP3 became
> available.
>
> Any other thoughts are appreciated?
>
> TIA,
>
> BL

MedRxman

Re: PC slow at times
I decided to only install critical updates,such as the latest virus tghreat
update. I manually check and am selective.

I use IE 6

Thanks

>> ...I stopped updates when SP3 became available.

> Explain the above, please.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
> start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> MedRxMan wrote:
>> When going to certain sites on the internet, such a Edmunds, the pages
>> will
>> take their time loading. I have checked task manager when this happens
>> and
>> the CPU useage is at perhaps 20-45%. That useage is primarly iexplorer.
>>
>> I would consider a reformat and re-install except the scenerio occurs on
>> both my laptop(wireless) and desktop (hardwire), both running WinXP PRO.
>> Desktop in an old pc with 640K RAM, laptop is 3 years old with 512K Ram.
>>
>> I have ran adaware and a virus scan using AVAST with no issues found
>> I have also ran msconfig and stoped several programs from loading from
>> each
>> maching without any improvement.
>>
>> I just ordered 2GB RAM for the laptop hoping memory may be an issue.
>>
>> Any other thoughts are appreciated?
>>
>> Both machines are routinely maintained using diskcleanup and defrag,
>>
>> Both machines are updated thru SP2.. I stopped updates when SP3 became
>> available.
>>
>> Any other thoughts are appreciated?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> BL

Re: PC slow at times
=> Help! My Computer is Slow!
http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...r-is-slow.html

Try Resetting Internet Explorer (IE6)
====================
Note: This step will help us clear cookies, restore the security level back
to the default settings, and disable third-party browser extensions. Before
trying the steps, we can export the cookies so they can be easily restored
later if you desire:

1. Press "Alt" from your keyboard, click "File", and click "Import and
Export".
2. Click "Next", select "Export Cookies", and click "Next".
3. The file is saved by default to your “Documents” folder, click "OK".

If you would like to import the cookies after resolving the issue, please
select “Import Cookies” in file menu to import the saved cookies file and
choose the “cookies” file from your “Documents” folder.

For Internet Explorer 6.0:
1. Click Start, Run, type: “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) and press
Enter.
2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window, click
"Delete Cookies", and click OK.
3. In the same tab click Delete Files, check the "Delete all offline
contents" box and click OK.
4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions
(requires restart)".
7. Click OK.
8. Reboot.

=> Are you aware that the machine won't be offered any further security
updates if SP3 isn't installed a year from now?

=> Are you aware that free installation and compatibility support from MS is
available but ends on 16 April 2009?
--
~PA Bear

MedRxman wrote:
> I decided to only install critical updates,such as the latest virus
> tghreat
> update. I manually check and am selective.
>
> I use IE 6
>>
>> Explain the above, please.
>> <snip IE7 stuff>
>>
>> MedRxMan wrote:
>>> When going to certain sites on the internet, such a Edmunds, the pages
>>> will
>>> take their time loading. I have checked task manager when this happens
>>> and
>>> the CPU useage is at perhaps 20-45%. That useage is primarly iexplorer.
>>>
>>> I would consider a reformat and re-install except the scenerio occurs on
>>> both my laptop(wireless) and desktop (hardwire), both running WinXP PRO.
>>> Desktop in an old pc with 640K RAM, laptop is 3 years old with 512K Ram.
>>>
>>> I have ran adaware and a virus scan using AVAST with no issues found
>>> I have also ran msconfig and stoped several programs from loading from
>>> each maching without any improvement.
>>>
>>> I just ordered 2GB RAM for the laptop hoping memory may be an issue.
>>>
>>> Any other thoughts are appreciated?
>>>
>>> Both machines are routinely maintained using diskcleanup and defrag,
>>>
>>> Both machines are updated thru SP2.. I stopped updates when SP3 became
>>> available.
>>>
>>> Any other thoughts are appreciated?

MedRxman

Re: PC slow at times
I reset IE6 as suggested but no better.

I did look at manage add ons and disabled a avg safe search dll since I no
longger use AVG and things are much better now. Hopefully when I increase
the RAM from 512K to 2GB things will improve even more.

I do have an image just prior to SP3. I plan on making a recent image( for
saftey) and then install SP3 from the CD I created from an ISO image.

Thanks for your suggestions.

>=> Help! My Computer is Slow!
> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...r-is-slow.html
>
> Try Resetting Internet Explorer (IE6)
> ====================
> Note: This step will help us clear cookies, restore the security level
> back
> to the default settings, and disable third-party browser extensions.
> Before
> trying the steps, we can export the cookies so they can be easily restored
> later if you desire:
>
> 1. Press "Alt" from your keyboard, click "File", and click "Import and
> Export".
> 2. Click "Next", select "Export Cookies", and click "Next".
> 3. The file is saved by default to your “Documents” folder, click "OK".
>
> If you would like to import the cookies after resolving the issue, please
> select “Import Cookies” in file menu to import the saved cookies file and
> choose the “cookies” file from your “Documents” folder.
>
> For Internet Explorer 6.0:
> 1. Click Start, Run, type: “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) and
> press
> Enter.
> 2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window,
> click
> "Delete Cookies", and click OK.
> 3. In the same tab click Delete Files, check the "Delete all offline
> contents" box and click OK.
> 4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
> 5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
> 6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions
> (requires restart)".
> 7. Click OK.
> 8. Reboot.
>
> => Are you aware that the machine won't be offered any further security
> updates if SP3 isn't installed a year from now?
>
> => Are you aware that free installation and compatibility support from MS
> is available but ends on 16 April 2009?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> MedRxman wrote:
>> I decided to only install critical updates,such as the latest virus
>> tghreat
>> update. I manually check and am selective.
>>
>> I use IE 6
>>>
>>> Explain the above, please.
>>> <snip IE7 stuff>

Re: PC slow at times
IN RE AVG 8.0: Try the following instead...

1. Download a fresh copy of the installer, saving it to your C: drive (i.e,
C:\avg_free_stf_en_8_237a1428.exe) =>
http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afe or
http://www.avg.com/filedir/inst/avg_...8_237a1428.exe

2. Uninstall AVG 8.0 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

browsing; reading email; chatting) until you've got AVG 8.0 installed,
properly configured, and updated!

3. Carefully follow these instructions to do a custom install of AVG 8.0:
http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1338

Tip: Do NOT install the toolbar (if offered) or either of the email
scanners. Email Scanning provides no additional protection, it's a major
source of corruption and problems in most (Windows) Mail Clients.

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

4. Configure AVG as you wish via the User Interface: Tools | Advanced
settings.

5. Check for and install any available updates.

AVG Free Suport Forum
http://freeforum.avg.com/

IN RE WinXP SP3...

Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3) and *only until* 14 Apr-09.
Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
"Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
--
~PA Bear

MedRxman wrote:
> I reset IE6 as suggested but no better.
>
> I did look at manage add ons and disabled a avg safe search dll since I no
> longger use AVG and things are much better now. Hopefully when I increase
> the RAM from 512K to 2GB things will improve even more.
>
> I do have an image just prior to SP3. I plan on making a recent image( for
> saftey) and then install SP3 from the CD I created from an ISO image.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.

>> => Help! My Computer is Slow!
>> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...r-is-slow.html
>>
>> Try Resetting Internet Explorer (IE6)
>> ====================
>> Note: This step will help us clear cookies, restore the security level
>> back
>> to the default settings, and disable third-party browser extensions.
>> Before
>> trying the steps, we can export the cookies so they can be easily
>> restored
>> later if you desire:
>>
>> 1. Press "Alt" from your keyboard, click "File", and click "Import and
>> Export".
>> 2. Click "Next", select "Export Cookies", and click "Next".
>> 3. The file is saved by default to your “Documents” folder, click "OK".
>>
>> If you would like to import the cookies after resolving the issue, please
>> select “Import Cookies” in file menu to import the saved cookies file and
>> choose the “cookies” file from your “Documents” folder.
>>
>> For Internet Explorer 6.0:
>> 1. Click Start, Run, type: “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) and
>> press
>> Enter.
>> 2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window,
>> click
>> "Delete Cookies", and click OK.
>> 3. In the same tab click Delete Files, check the "Delete all offline
>> contents" box and click OK.
>> 4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
>> 5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
>> 6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions
>> (requires restart)".
>> 7. Click OK.
>> 8. Reboot.
>>
>> => Are you aware that the machine won't be offered any further security
>> updates if SP3 isn't installed a year from now?
>>
>> => Are you aware that free installation and compatibility support from MS
>> is available but ends on 16 April 2009?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> MedRxman wrote:
>>> I decided to only install critical updates,such as the latest virus
>>> tghreat
>>> update. I manually check and am selective.
>>>
>>> I use IE 6

MedRxMan

Re: PC slow at times
Hello,
I do not use AVG at all. I now use AVAST, The AVG add on was in the Manage
add ons.

> [...]
>>> press
>>> Enter.
>>> 2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window,
>>> click
>>> "Delete Cookies", and click OK.
>>> 3. In the same tab click Delete Files, check the "Delete all offline
>>> contents" box and click OK.
>>> 4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
>>> 5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
>>> 6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser
>>> extensions
>>> (requires restart)".
>>> 7. Click OK.
>>> 8. Reboot.
>>>
>>> => Are you aware that the machine won't be offered any further security
>>> updates if SP3 isn't installed a year from now?
>>>
>>> => Are you aware that free installation and compatibility support from

Charlie

Re: PC slow at times

"MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When going to certain sites on the internet, such a Edmunds, the pages
> will take their time loading. I have checked task manager when this
> happens and the CPU useage is at perhaps 20-45%. That useage is primarly
> iexplorer.
>
> I would consider a reformat and re-install except the scenerio occurs on
> both my laptop(wireless) and desktop (hardwire), both running WinXP PRO.
> Desktop in an old pc with 640K RAM, laptop is 3 years old with 512K Ram.

I would venture that the slow loading is not at your end. If it affects two
systems and is specific to certain sites, then I would be suspicious that
either there is a bottleneck in the transmission routes to those sites or
the sites themselves that are responding slowly.

It really seems like a traffic jam. You can rev your engine all you want,
but that will not make the road speed any faster.

My wife has similar complaints on a couple of cooking sites she goes to.

There are applications that will let you ping those sites and measure the
response time.

Charlie