Auto refresh in web pages a PAIN in the BUTT!

Joe Boy

Auto refresh in web pages a PAIN in the BUTT!
When reading a web page that has auto refresh activated it is real
pain in the butt when I am half way down the page and the auto refresh
kicks in and I am back up at the top of the page and have to scroll
down and find my place again :-(

I know I can go to:-

Tools
Internet Options
Security Tab
Custom Setting
Allow Meta refresh - Disable

but this is also a pain if I have to go through this each time I want
to change the setting.

Is there some sort of short cut way I can alter this setting backwards
anf forwards?

Thanks for any info.

--
Joe Boy
Central Coast, NSW

Re: Auto refresh in web pages a PAIN in the BUTT!
File | Work offline.

Joe Boy wrote:
> When reading a web page that has auto refresh activated it is real
> pain in the butt when I am half way down the page and the auto refresh
> kicks in and I am back up at the top of the page and have to scroll
> down and find my place again :-(
>
> I know I can go to:-
>
> Tools
> Internet Options
> Security Tab
> Custom Setting
> Allow Meta refresh - Disable
>
> but this is also a pain if I have to go through this each time I want
> to change the setting.
>
> Is there some sort of short cut way I can alter this setting backwards
> anf forwards?
>
> Thanks for any info.

Donald Anadell

"Joe Boy" <joeboy@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> When reading a web page that has auto refresh activated it is real
> pain in the butt when I am half way down the page and the auto refresh
> kicks in and I am back up at the top of the page and have to scroll
> down and find my place again :-(
>
> I know I can go to:-
>
> Tools
> Internet Options
> Security Tab
> Custom Setting
> Allow Meta refresh - Disable
>
> but this is also a pain if I have to go through this each time I want
> to change the setting.

The "Allow Meta Refresh" setting is set to "Disable" by default in the
Restricted Sites zone. You could place the site there.

> Is there some sort of short cut way I can alter this setting backwards
> anf forwards?

Don't know what your skills level is, but one could make two .reg files, one
for turning the setting on in the Internet Zone and one for turning the
setting off in the Internet Zone.

The Registry Key involved is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\3

The Value Name that controls the [Allow Meta Refresh] setting is "1608"

A value of 0(zero) = enabled
"1608"=dword:00000000
A value of 1 = prompt
"1608"=dword:00000001
A value of 3 = disabled
"1608"=dword:00000003

For reference:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182569

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Thanks for any info.
>
> --
> Joe Boy
> Central Coast, NSW
> Australia

Joe Boy

Re: Auto refresh in web pages a PAIN in the BUTT!
Thanks for reply

Unfortuantely, all that does is make the page refresh from the cache
instead of from the web site itself and the problem remains :-(

--
Joe Boy
Central Coast, NSW
Joe Boy

Re: Auto refresh in web pages a PAIN in the BUTT!
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:28:32 -0500, "Donald Anadell"
<danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote:

>"Joe Boy" <joeboy@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>news:lmlhq4tbbokvid640r7aefnf8co7d52nfd@4ax.com.. .
>> When reading a web page that has auto refresh activated it is real
>> pain in the butt when I am half way down the page and the auto refresh
>> kicks in and I am back up at the top of the page and have to scroll
>> down and find my place again :-(

> Snip ....................

>The "Allow Meta Refresh" setting is set to "Disable" by default in the
>Restricted Sites zone. You could place the site there.

I forgot to mention that sometimes when I view the site I like to have
auto refresh enabled and sometimes I like it to be disabled. BTW the
site (currenlty)is:-

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/rsav...ch/350472.html

If I am reading through the whole page the refresh needs to be off but
if I just glance at it occasionally to get the current score I like
the refresh to be enabled. I guess I could just leave it disabled and
use a manual refresh when needed.

>Don't know what your skills level is, but one could make two .reg files, one
>for turning the setting on in the Internet Zone and one for turning the
>setting off in the Internet Zone.
> Snip ....................

This looked promising - I created two .reg files, one to disable and
one to enable.

When I run these files, the settings viewed in
Tools|InternetOptions|SecurityTab|CustomSettings change according to
whichever file I run.

BUT, after running the "Disable" file, even though the setting has
change to disabled, the page STILL refreshes!!

There must be another registry setting that is changed when
Tools|InternetOptions|SecurityTab|CustomSettings is used to make the
change :-(

I am searching for this now

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate your efforts.

--
Joe Boy
Central Coast, NSW
Donald Anadell

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:28:32 -0500, "Donald Anadell"
> <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote:
>

>>"Joe Boy" <joeboy@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>news:lmlhq4tbbokvid640r7aefnf8co7d52nfd@4ax.com. ..
>>> When reading a web page that has auto refresh activated it is real
>>> pain in the butt when I am half way down the page and the auto refresh
>>> kicks in and I am back up at the top of the page and have to scroll
>>> down and find my place again :-(

>> Snip ....................

>>The "Allow Meta Refresh" setting is set to "Disable" by default in the
>>Restricted Sites zone. You could place the site there.

> I forgot to mention that sometimes when I view the site I like to have
> auto refresh enabled and sometimes I like it to be disabled. BTW the
> site (currenlty)is:-
>
> http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/rsav...ch/350472.html
>
> If I am reading through the whole page the refresh needs to be off but
> if I just glance at it occasionally to get the current score I like
> the refresh to be enabled. I guess I could just leave it disabled and
> use a manual refresh when needed.
>

>>Don't know what your skills level is, but one could make two .reg files,
>>one
>>for turning the setting on in the Internet Zone and one for turning the
>>setting off in the Internet Zone.
>> Snip ....................

> This looked promising - I created two .reg files, one to disable and
> one to enable.

Do your two .reg files look like this:

1. Enable Auto Refresh
.................................................. ..........................................
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\3]
"1608"=dword:00000000
.................................................. ..........................................

2. Disable Auto Refresh
.................................................. ..........................................
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\3]
"1608"=dword:00000003
.................................................. ..........................................

> When I run these files, the settings viewed in
> Tools|InternetOptions|SecurityTab|CustomSettings change according to
> whichever file I run.

Sounds like you are doing it correctly if the setting is changing in the
Internet Zone Custom Security Level.

> BUT, after running the "Disable" file, even though the setting has
> change to disabled, the page STILL refreshes!!

If you run the file(s) with IE7 open the setting will change, however you
will have to restart the Browser for it to take affect.

> There must be another registry setting that is changed when
> Tools|InternetOptions|SecurityTab|CustomSettings is used to make the
> change :-(

No other setting in the Registry that I know of.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> I am searching for this now
>
> Thanks for the reply - I appreciate your efforts.
>
> --
> Joe Boy
> Central Coast, NSW
> Australia

VanguardLH

Joe Boy wrote:

> When reading a web page that has auto refresh activated it is real
> pain in the butt when I am half way down the page and the auto refresh
> kicks in and I am back up at the top of the page and have to scroll
> down and find my place again :-(
>
> I know I can go to:-
>
> Tools
> Internet Options
> Security Tab
> Custom Setting
> Allow Meta refresh - Disable
>
> but this is also a pain if I have to go through this each time I want
> to change the setting.
>
> Is there some sort of short cut way I can alter this setting backwards
> anf forwards?

PopUpCop (now freeware)

Has irritation levels. You can one irritation level with meta-refresh
enabled and another with it disabled. Just click on the slider in
PopUpCop's toolbar to change between irritation levels.
Joe Boy

Re: Auto refresh in web pages a PAIN in the BUTT!
On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 09:32:28 -0500, "Donald Anadell"
<danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote:

>"Joe Boy" <joeboy@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>news:3gbjq4d5drb4vi8fkfuvp32h7q3alt3rol@4ax.com.. .
>> On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:28:32 -0500, "Donald Anadell"
>> <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Joe Boy" <joeboy@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>news:lmlhq4tbbokvid640r7aefnf8co7d52nfd@4ax.com ...
>>> Snip ....................

> Snip ....................
>
>Do your two .reg files look like this:
> Snip ....................

Yes - that is how they are.

>If you run the file(s) with IE7 open the setting will change, however you
>will have to restart the Browser for it to take affect.
> Snip ....................

Aha!!! - when I changed the settings using Tools|InternetOptions etc.
there was no need for a restart of IE - it took effect immediately.

However, after running the .reg files it *does* need a restart! I
should have thought of that :-(

Very many thanks for putting me straight on this.

Cheers ...........

--
Joe Boy
Central Coast, NSW
Joe Boy

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 13:40:06 -0600, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Joe Boy wrote:
>
>> When reading a web page that has auto refresh activated it is real
>> pain in the butt when I am half way down the page and the auto refresh
>> kicks in and I am back up at the top of the page and have to scroll
>> down and find my place again :-(
>>
>> I know I can go to:-
>>
>> Tools
>> Internet Options
>> Security Tab
>> Custom Setting
>> Allow Meta refresh - Disable
>>
>> but this is also a pain if I have to go through this each time I want
>> to change the setting.
>>
>> Is there some sort of short cut way I can alter this setting backwards
>> anf forwards?

>PopUpCop (now freeware)
>
>Has irritation levels. You can one irritation level with meta-refresh
>enabled and another with it disabled. Just click on the slider in
>PopUpCop's toolbar to change between irritation levels.

That does it! - no need to restart IE when using this program - it
works well at changing the meta refresh setting!

Many thanks for this suggestion - it looks like it has lots more
features for me to explore!

Cheers .............
--
Joe Boy
Central Coast, NSW
VanguardLH

Joe Boy wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 13:40:06 -0600, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>Joe Boy wrote:
>>
>>> When reading a web page that has auto refresh activated it is real
>>> pain in the butt when I am half way down the page and the auto refresh
>>> kicks in and I am back up at the top of the page and have to scroll
>>> down and find my place again :-(
>>>
>>> I know I can go to:-
>>>
>>> Tools
>>> Internet Options
>>> Security Tab
>>> Custom Setting
>>> Allow Meta refresh - Disable
>>>
>>> but this is also a pain if I have to go through this each time I want
>>> to change the setting.
>>>
>>> Is there some sort of short cut way I can alter this setting backwards
>>> anf forwards?

>>PopUpCop (now freeware)
>>
>>Has irritation levels. You can one irritation level with meta-refresh
>>enabled and another with it disabled. Just click on the slider in
>>PopUpCop's toolbar to change between irritation levels.

> That does it! - no need to restart IE when using this program - it
> works well at changing the meta refresh setting!
>
> Many thanks for this suggestion - it looks like it has lots more
> features for me to explore!
>
> Cheers .............

I primarily use it for its cookie whitelisting. All cookies can be
forced into per-session cookies because they all get purged when you
exit the last instance of Internet Explorer except for those you
whitelisted. So you can keep just the cookies for the domains that you
want. You can allow 1st party cookies so sites remain fully functional
(I still block 3rd party cookies to eliminate tracking me when bouncing
between sites). It loads ONLY when the browser loads rather than
constantly consuming CPU and memory resources when the browser isn't
even running - and popup blocking and cookie management only has purpose
when the browser is running.

I decided to stick back with a pre-3 version of PopUpCop. Their
installer has a problem on Windows XP. It installs a Startup group item
that is only required if PopUpCop is ran under Windows Vista. Don't
know if the author got around to fixing this install-time bug.

When I got it, cost was $20 (although that was during when they had a
$10 discount sale). Now it's free. A handy scheme is to move the
slider to the most restrictive irritation level BEFORE you visit a site
to let you see what's there (if the site will paint itself when thusly
restricted) and then you can decide if you want to lax the restrictions
if some content is not visible.

I would warn against setting any of the irritation options to keep
whatever was its prior setting when changing irritation levels. This
could result in you not knowing how the option is currently set since it
depends on whether or not the prior irritation level had this option
enabled or disabled. So just choose to enable or disable each option.
In the most restrictive irritation level, the only option I leave
enabled are images. In the lowest irritation level, just popups are
blocked (which is a superior popup blocker than you get in IE, Google's
toolbar, or any other popup blocker that I've tried). However, its
Flash blocker is a bit too flaky. Too many times I click on the blocked
region in the page for the Flash content to supposedly play it but all
that happens is the page gets refreshed but the Flash content still does
not play. I find the Flash blocker in the free IE7Pro add-on is more
functional. So leave Flash enabled in PopUpCop but block it using
IE7Pro.

Popups aren't as prevalent as they once were when marketing folks first
stomped on the idea and then got lambasted by customers and users of
their web sites. The popup blocker in IE7 is probably sufficient as
long as you are super-sensitive to an occasional popup that PopUpCop
could've blocked. I really only kept PopUpCop around because of its
excellent cookie management feature along with having multiple
irritation levels that let me tailor how I restrict a web site.