Saved Passwords in IE7

mcp6453

Saved Passwords in IE7
The "saved passwords in IE7" topic has been beaten to death. For the last hour,
I have searched for the right post that answers the question, but I have not
found it.

When I open the web interface on my Zyxel router (it does not have a field for
user name -- only password), IE7 does not ask me to save the password. The
checkbox to save passwords is checked, and IE7 saves passwords on most sites
(except https sites).

How can I cause IE7 to remember the password for my router? XP SP3.
VanguardLH

Re: Saved Passwords in IE7
mcp6453 wrote:

> The "saved passwords in IE7" topic has been beaten to death. For the last hour,
> I have searched for the right post that answers the question, but I have not
> found it.
>
> When I open the web interface on my Zyxel router (it does not have a field for
> user name -- only password), IE7 does not ask me to save the password. The
> checkbox to save passwords is checked, and IE7 saves passwords on most sites
> (except https sites).
>
> How can I cause IE7 to remember the password for my router? XP SP3.

The auto-complete cache in the web browser isn't your problem. Most
likely you do NOT get a login page to your router's web server. Instead
a separate dialog window appears in which you enter your login
credentials. That is presented by the code in the web page proffered by
your router. It isn't a form that IE can save, it is code. Whether or
not your router's web server remembers your entries depends on if it
supports that feature.

Since the login credentials are not entered into a web form, your web
browser can't cache that data. Instead look at automatic form entry
add-ons to the web browser. These store your login credentials and will
enter them when it sees the same web page layout. IE7Pro (free add-on)
has its form filler function which can help.

Re: Saved Passwords in IE7
For your own security, you don't want that PW to be saved (and I doubt you
can configure IE or WinXP to save it anyway).

VanguardLH wrote:
> mcp6453 wrote:
>
>> The "saved passwords in IE7" topic has been beaten to death. For the last hour,
>> I have searched for the right post that answers the question, but I have not
>> found it.
>>
>> When I open the web interface on my Zyxel router (it does not have a field for
>> user name -- only password), IE7 does not ask me to save the password. The
>> checkbox to save passwords is checked, and IE7 saves passwords on most sites
>> (except https sites).
>>
>> How can I cause IE7 to remember the password for my router? XP SP3.

> The auto-complete cache in the web browser isn't your problem. Most
> likely you do NOT get a login page to your router's web server. Instead
> a separate dialog window appears in which you enter your login
> credentials. That is presented by the code in the web page proffered by
> your router. It isn't a form that IE can save, it is code. Whether or
> not your router's web server remembers your entries depends on if it
> supports that feature.
>
> Since the login credentials are not entered into a web form, your web
> browser can't cache that data. Instead look at automatic form entry
> add-ons to the web browser. These store your login credentials and will
> enter them when it sees the same web page layout. IE7Pro (free add-on)
> has its form filler function which can help.

Thanks for the info. I had not heard of IE7Pro. In any case, Firefox remembers
the password perfectly with no add-on or other configuration. I've been trying
to move away from Firefox, but there are always those few things that I really
like that Firefox does better than IE.