Intranet settings are turned off by default question

Ohno

Intranet settings are turned off by default question
Hello:

I have a Windows XPPro SP2 just updated to SP3 and have a question about
weather SP3 caused my concern or something else.

Here are the details:
I yesterday was running SP2 with IE7, IE7 came preinstalled on the computer
and may have had some manufacturer settings in place different than the
defaults.

Anyway every since I had the machine I was never warned about "Intranet
settings are turned off by default" in the browser window.

What I am interested in finding out is if maybe the manufacturer had this
turned off from the factory or was this a new prompt added to the system
when I installed SP3?

The reason I have to ask this question is because I wanted to retain the
ability to remove IE7 and go back to IE6 if need be for some reason. So to
to that I uninstalled IE7 installed SP3 then reinstalled IE7. Now since IE7
is a new install it could be different than the settings from the factory.

That however is not enough information for me to know if it is just a
setting or if SP3 tripped the prompt.

If anyone knows which step changed that setting that would be great.

Now for the last part of the issue. I did look in the registry under the
following key:
key_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\curren tversion\internet settings
Name WarnOnIntrante
Which I was informed would hold the settings for that prompt but it was not
there. I did check one identical machine but still has SP2 and not getting
the prompt yet I can not figure where the settings are for this prompt.

I do know I can tell it not to warn me anymore but once I do I would like to
know how to turn the prompt back on if I want in the future.

Thanks

Don Varnau

Re: Intranet settings are turned off by default question
Hi,
I don't know why the warning is now turned on, but you can track down the
registry key involved. Install RegShot
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=regshot&aq=f&oq=

Backup (export) the registry. Restart. Run RegShot and take a first shot.
Keep RegShot open. Change the IE setting. Take a 2nd shot. Compare the two.

Utilities with more features/capabilities:
Regmon, Filemon, Proces Monitor from
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...c5a693683.aspx

Note: FileMon and Regmon have been replaced by Process Monitor on versions
of Windows starting with Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP2, Windows Server
2003 SP1, and Windows Vista. Filemon and Regmon remain for legacy operating
system support, including Windows 9x.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Ohno" <norealaddress@none.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I have a Windows XPPro SP2 just updated to SP3 and have a question about
> weather SP3 caused my concern or something else.
>
> Here are the details:
> I yesterday was running SP2 with IE7, IE7 came preinstalled on the

computer
> and may have had some manufacturer settings in place different than the
> defaults.
>
> Anyway every since I had the machine I was never warned about "Intranet
> settings are turned off by default" in the browser window.
>
> What I am interested in finding out is if maybe the manufacturer had this
> turned off from the factory or was this a new prompt added to the system
> when I installed SP3?
>
> The reason I have to ask this question is because I wanted to retain the
> ability to remove IE7 and go back to IE6 if need be for some reason. So to
> to that I uninstalled IE7 installed SP3 then reinstalled IE7. Now since

IE7
> is a new install it could be different than the settings from the factory.
>
> That however is not enough information for me to know if it is just a
> setting or if SP3 tripped the prompt.
>
> If anyone knows which step changed that setting that would be great.
>
> Now for the last part of the issue. I did look in the registry under the
> following key:
> key_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\curren tversion\internet

settings
> Name WarnOnIntrante
> Which I was informed would hold the settings for that prompt but it was

not
> there. I did check one identical machine but still has SP2 and not getting
> the prompt yet I can not figure where the settings are for this prompt.
>
> I do know I can tell it not to warn me anymore but once I do I would like

> know how to turn the prompt back on if I want in the future.
>
> Thanks

Ohno

Re: Intranet settings are turned off by default question
Thanks for the reply,

I just was coming to say what I think happened. Let me know if you think
this is a good explaination because it don't prompt anymore.

Ok what I did was go to internet properties then went to Local Intranet. As
per instructions at Microsoft which said to click on the sites button from
this zone then take the check mark out of Automatically detect intranet
network. I did that and clicked ok. The prompts went away. Then I decided I
wanted to put the check back in the Auto Detect because another like machine
had that setting but no prompts.

Well with the check restored the prompts are still gone.

Now for what I think happened. I connect to a commercial Wi-Fi system, by
default when you open IE you are redirected to the company home page that is
actually a part of the gateway (IE intranet page) since I had my Aircard
turned off when I installed IE7 it did not detect the gateway by tripping
the automatic detect it now finds the intranet page.

That is all I can figure out as to what happened, anyway no prompts anymore.

> [...]

>> setting or if SP3 tripped the prompt.
>>
>> If anyone knows which step changed that setting that would be great.
>>
>> Now for the last part of the issue. I did look in the registry under the
>> following key:
>> key_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\curren tversion\internet

> settings
>> Name WarnOnIntrante
>> Which I was informed would hold the settings for that prompt but it was

> not
>> there. I did check one identical machine but still has SP2 and not
>> getting
>> the prompt yet I can not figure where the settings are for this prompt.
>>
>> I do know I can tell it not to warn me anymore but once I do I would like

>> know how to turn the prompt back on if I want in the future.
>>
>> Thanks

Re: Intranet settings are turned off by default question
If IE7 came preinstalled and you then installed SP3, you wouldn't have been
able to uninstall IE7 without first uninstalling SP3. See
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ohno wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have a Windows XPPro SP2 just updated to SP3 and have a question about
> weather SP3 caused my concern or something else.
>
> Here are the details:
> I yesterday was running SP2 with IE7, IE7 came preinstalled on the
> computer
> and may have had some manufacturer settings in place different than the
> defaults.
>
> Anyway every since I had the machine I was never warned about "Intranet
> settings are turned off by default" in the browser window.
>
> What I am interested in finding out is if maybe the manufacturer had this
> turned off from the factory or was this a new prompt added to the system
> when I installed SP3?
>
> The reason I have to ask this question is because I wanted to retain the
> ability to remove IE7 and go back to IE6 if need be for some reason. So to
> to that I uninstalled IE7 installed SP3 then reinstalled IE7. Now since
> IE7
> is a new install it could be different than the settings from the factory.
>
> That however is not enough information for me to know if it is just a
> setting or if SP3 tripped the prompt.
>
> If anyone knows which step changed that setting that would be great.
>
> Now for the last part of the issue. I did look in the registry under the
> following key:
> key_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\curren tversion\internet
> settings
> Name WarnOnIntrante
> Which I was informed would hold the settings for that prompt but it was
> not
> there. I did check one identical machine but still has SP2 and not getting
> the prompt yet I can not figure where the settings are for this prompt.
>
> I do know I can tell it not to warn me anymore but once I do I would like
> know how to turn the prompt back on if I want in the future.
>
> Thanks

Ohno

Re: Intranet settings are turned off by default question
Correct,

That is why I uninstalled IE7 while at SP2 then installed SP3 Then
reinstalled IE7.

That is when I got the notices. Just wondering if the new install may be
configured than the one that came with the computer from the factory.

> If IE7 came preinstalled and you then installed SP3, you wouldn't have
> been able to uninstall IE7 without first uninstalling SP3. See
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Ohno wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I have a Windows XPPro SP2 just updated to SP3 and have a question about
>> weather SP3 caused my concern or something else.
>>
>> Here are the details:
>> I yesterday was running SP2 with IE7, IE7 came preinstalled on the
>> computer
>> and may have had some manufacturer settings in place different than the
>> defaults.
>>
>> Anyway every since I had the machine I was never warned about "Intranet
>> settings are turned off by default" in the browser window.
>>
>> What I am interested in finding out is if maybe the manufacturer had this
>> turned off from the factory or was this a new prompt added to the system
>> when I installed SP3?
>>
>> The reason I have to ask this question is because I wanted to retain the
>> ability to remove IE7 and go back to IE6 if need be for some reason. So
>> to that I uninstalled IE7 installed SP3 then reinstalled IE7. Now since
>> IE7
>> is a new install it could be different than the settings from the
>> factory.
>>
>> That however is not enough information for me to know if it is just a
>> setting or if SP3 tripped the prompt.
>>
>> If anyone knows which step changed that setting that would be great.
>>
>> Now for the last part of the issue. I did look in the registry under the
>> following key:
>> key_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\curren tversion\internet
>> settings
>> Name WarnOnIntrante
>> Which I was informed would hold the settings for that prompt but it was
>> not
>> there. I did check one identical machine but still has SP2 and not
>> getting
>> the prompt yet I can not figure where the settings are for this prompt.
>>
>> I do know I can tell it not to warn me anymore but once I do I would like
>> know how to turn the prompt back on if I want in the future.
>>
>> Thanks

Re: Intranet settings are turned off by default question
> ...Just wondering if the new install may be
> configured than the one that came with the computer from the factory.

I'd very much doubt it.

Ohno wrote:
> Correct,
>
> That is why I uninstalled IE7 while at SP2 then installed SP3 Then
> reinstalled IE7.
>
> That is when I got the notices. Just wondering if the new install may be
> configured than the one that came with the computer from the factory.
>
>> If IE7 came preinstalled and you then installed SP3, you wouldn't have
>> been able to uninstall IE7 without first uninstalling SP3. See
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Ohno wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I have a Windows XPPro SP2 just updated to SP3 and have a question about
>>> weather SP3 caused my concern or something else.
>>>
>>> Here are the details:
>>> I yesterday was running SP2 with IE7, IE7 came preinstalled on the
>>> computer
>>> and may have had some manufacturer settings in place different than the
>>> defaults.
>>>
>>> Anyway every since I had the machine I was never warned about "Intranet
>>> settings are turned off by default" in the browser window.
>>>
>>> What I am interested in finding out is if maybe the manufacturer had
>>> this
>>> turned off from the factory or was this a new prompt added to the system
>>> when I installed SP3?
>>>
>>> The reason I have to ask this question is because I wanted to retain the
>>> ability to remove IE7 and go back to IE6 if need be for some reason. So
>>> to that I uninstalled IE7 installed SP3 then reinstalled IE7. Now since
>>> IE7
>>> is a new install it could be different than the settings from the
>>> factory.
>>>
>>> That however is not enough information for me to know if it is just a
>>> setting or if SP3 tripped the prompt.
>>>
>>> If anyone knows which step changed that setting that would be great.
>>>
>>> Now for the last part of the issue. I did look in the registry under the
>>> following key:
>>> key_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\curren tversion\internet
>>> settings
>>> Name WarnOnIntrante
>>> Which I was informed would hold the settings for that prompt but it was
>>> not
>>> there. I did check one identical machine but still has SP2 and not
>>> getting
>>> the prompt yet I can not figure where the settings are for this prompt.
>>>
>>> I do know I can tell it not to warn me anymore but once I do I would
>>> like
>>> know how to turn the prompt back on if I want in the future.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Don Varnau

Re: Intranet settings are turned off by default question
Hi,
That explanation sounds possible. Previous IE settings are usually preserved
when IE7 is installed.