Re: Icon for shortcuts that point to a URL

ju.c

Re: Icon for shortcuts that point to a URL
Internet Explorer Favorites - FavIcons display the Windows Default Icon

Favorites are just text files with an "URL" extension, which is hidden.

The FavIcon information is contained in the file as shown:

[DEFAULT]
BASEURL=http://website.com/
[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://website.com/
IDList=
IconFile=http://website.com/favicon.ico
IconIndex=1
DefaultIcon=
[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
Prop3=19,2

To fix the problem that your Favorites are displaying the Windows
default icon you must first choose which method to use. If you
want only the default Internet Explorer icon (not the website
FavIcon) then follow option 2. To restore the website FavIcons,
follow option 1.

OPTION 1

The quickest, best and easiest way to restore all your FavIcons
to there originals is to use "AM-Deadlink"

1. Download and install "AM-Deadlink". (Links below)

2. Run "AM-Deadlink" and click the button at the top, "Options".

3. Click "Settings" then open the "FavIcons" tab.

4. Enter a FavIcon directory, if not set. The default should be:
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\FavIcons

5. Click the OK button to exit options.

6. Click the button at the top, "FavIcons" then click on
"Check Bookmarks and download FavIcons".

7. Sit back and watch the magic!

AM-DeadLink 3.3 1.3 MB (Freeware)
Info: http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm
Download: http://www.aignes.com/download/dlsetup.exe
Mirror: http://www.aignes.com/download2/dlsetup.exe

OPTION 2

Internet Explorer Favicons - Restore IE's Default Icon

First you'll need to delete the existing Favicons, which are
stored in one of three places:

1) C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
Open the Run box and enter:
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 8
(If you are using IE6 or below then you'll have to delete the temp
files from inside IE)

2) C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\FavIcons
Open the Run box and enter:
del "%UserProfile%\Application Data\FavIcons\*.*"

3) Stored in the "Alternate Data Stream".
Use "AdsSpy" to delete the "Alternate Data Stream" Favicons:

1. Download and install "AdsSpy". (Links below)
2. Run Ads Spy and select "Scan only this folder:" and browse to
"C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Favorites".
3. Click the "Scan the system for alternate data streams" button.
4. Right-click inside the results box and choose "Select all".
5. Click the "Remove selected streams" button.

AdsSpy 1.11 26 KB (Freeware)
Info: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/adsspy.php
Download: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/Merijn/adsspy.zip

Next, you need to delete these 3 lines (if present) in your Favorites files:

IconFile=
IconIndex=
DefaultIcon=

To make it easy, create then merge this registry file to add an Edit
command when you right-click a Favorite:
(If you have a lot of Favorites use a "Search and Replace" program)

1. Copy below and paste into Notepad.
(Confirm notepad.exe path)

----------copy inside only----------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\shell\Edit]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\shell\Edit\comm and]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\notepad.exe %1"

----------copy inside only----------

2. Save-as URL_Edit.reg (or any name + .reg).

3. Double-click or right-click and merge into the registry.

After all that, set the Favorites folder to read-only:
Open the Run box and enter:
attrib +R "%UserProfile%\Favorites\*.*" /S

Important!
You will not see any changes until you restart your computer.

ju.c

"Greg Oliva" <oliva1@cox.net> wrote in message news:0LJpl.80166$xK6.22894@newsfe12.iad...
> All of my shortcuts that point to a URL no longer have the Internet Explorer
> Icon, they have the generic windows Icon. How do I get the Internet
> Explorer Icon back?

rob^_^

Re: Icon for shortcuts that point to a URL
Right,

I got that. Simple!